OT: 2016 Blue Bombers Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
The players and coaches keep talking about getting the running game going. And while I agree I'd like to see the running numbers improve, IMO, the situation with the running game is a reflection of the teams ability (or inability to be exact) to get a downfield passing game established.

My season ticket holder partner and I have been seeing and commenting on the same issue all year. Weather it's LaPo not calling plays longer than 15-20 yards, us not having the receivers to stretch the field, or Willy's inability to read and make those throws, teams are showing no respect to getting beat deep. As a result, watching the Calgary game was comical when counting how many Stamps defenders were playing in the box. And the guys not in the box are playing pretty close to press coverage on our receivers. It took to near the middle of the 3rd quarter to attempt a long pass FFS. I don't put this issue on the O line either. Willy has had time more often than not to make throws.

I don't believe that Nichols is any type of answer, but I saw two things I liked when he came in. 1) Much more decisive in his decision making, and much quicker to get the ball out on time, and 2) Willingness to throw deep.

Even though I think he missed on both (I think Adams dropped one?), I think you have to keep attempting them to get the D to stop teeing off on stopping the run and short passes.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
The players and coaches keep talking about getting the running game going. And while I agree I'd like to see the running numbers improve, IMO, the situation with the running game is a reflection of the teams ability (or inability to be exact) to get a downfield passing game established.

My season ticket holder partner and I have been seeing and commenting on the same issue all year. Weather it's LaPo not calling plays longer than 15-20 yards, us not having the receivers to stretch the field, or Willy's inability to read and make those throws, teams are showing no respect to getting beat deep. As a result, watching the Calgary game was comical when counting how many Stamps defenders were playing in the box. And the guys not in the box are playing pretty close to press coverage on our receivers. It took to near the middle of the 3rd quarter to attempt a long pass FFS. I don't put this issue on the O line either. Willy has had time more often than not to make throws.

I don't believe that Nichols is any type of answer, but I saw two things I liked when he came in. 1) Much more decisive in his decision making, and much quicker to get the ball out on time, and 2) Willingness to throw deep.

Even though I think he missed on both (I think Adams dropped one?), I think you have to keep attempting them to get the D to stop teeing off on stopping the run and short passes.

I agree for the most part. Seems to me the bombers in the last 4 or so years, are very predictable. Most of their passes are very short and therefore most defenses will just play that way. Really need to stretch the field so the defenders play off them even more.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Anyone catch Wiecek's column on Willy and the Blue in the Free Press today. Kind of think he nailed it!

Kind of think Wiecek's an idiot who should be working in retail. :dunno:

(To sum up, for non-subscribers: at the start of the season he asked Willy if this year's different--thinking Willy should say 'yes I need to be healthier/better'--Willy said no, he asked again, Willy said you already asked that, Wiecek waits until Willy loses starting job for poor on-field performance and writes an article about how that exchange at the start of the season illustrates how something's been 'off' about Willy all season.)

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I don't see what's wrong with Wiecek's question. It's not necessarily about "of course he's got to prove things" but moreso how does he respond, in what tone. Is he excited, determined or pissed off (apparently it's this).

Forgot about that when he got announced as starter he only had the 4 games as a starter.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Wiecek's article is silly drivel, but it does highlight the astounding lack of accountability around Bomberland. Willy bristling at that question is weak, but basically par for the course. Reminds me of the answer that Bob Wylie gave when asked about the O-Line struggles, basically the same thing. The culture surrounding this team could best be described as thin-skinned and not very aware.

Winnipeg truly is a QB graveyard, the inability to develop good QBs here is just astounding. Maybe back up a Brinks truck into the driveway of some 'QB guru' like Tedford or Trestman and let them hand pick and develop someone?

If this team was situated anywhere east of Manitoba, they would have folded years ago. The incompetence surrounding this team is at 1990s Ottawa Rough Rider level. It's sad.

Bitter rant over. :laugh:

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
If this team was situated anywhere east of Manitoba, they would have folded years ago. The incompetence surrounding this team is at 1990s Ottawa Rough Rider level. It's sad.

Not only east. Teams rhis bad would never have survived in alberta nor bc. When saak went through their own futility they had to resort to pledge drives.

Say what you want about the team but Bomber fans are amazing:yo:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Not only east. Teams rhis bad would never have survived in alberta nor bc. When saak went through their own futility they had to resort to pledge drives.

Say what you want about the team but Bomber fans are amazing:yo:

Truth.

We went through our own near-death experience (late 90s right into 2000), but that was more a reflection of the post USA expansion shock when the CFL brand was at an all-time low.

It would be foolish to think that the goodwill among Bomber fans is endless, though. Lot of empty seats this year, and it's only going to get worse if they slide further and further from playoff contention.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Seems to me the only guys who actually have the stones to point out the Bombers problems are Doug Brown and Gary Lawless (blech) to an extent

Bob Irving doesn't, but you can tell by the tone of his voice over the last couple years that he isn't exactly happy with what he's seeing.

If only Brown had experience as a coach, he'd be the guy i hired next. Speaks his mind, has a mentality that would get those bums in line and is already beloved here. (even more so when he takes cheap shots at the Rider fans on twitter)

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Truth.

We went through our own near-death experience (late 90s right into 2000), but that was more a reflection of the post USA expansion shock when the CFL brand was at an all-time low.

It would be foolish to think that the goodwill among Bomber fans is endless, though. Lot of empty seats this year, and it's only going to get worse if they slide further and further from playoff contention.

I've stopped watching early second half this year twice. Nothing else to do. I never do that. I barely care to watch anymore. The Bombers have sucked and been boring.

That leads me to believe we have terrible coaching. If you have trouble scoring and your D isn't great, ****ing take risks. Nope. Not the bombers. Let's go dump and hump (the ground after getting sacked).

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Truth.

True. But if this team ever bevomes half-decent its gonna be crazy. Was talking with staff at bomber store and they were telling if Bombers even go up in the 1st they get a bunch of calls to buy tickets. When they win its a huge spike. Just need to do that on a half consistent basis lol.

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005
At this point I would almost want to see someone like Walby or MacNeil get the offensive line coaching job. No idea if the current coach is bad, but since he's been here it seems as though the o-line has stunk.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
I've stopped watching early second half this year twice. Nothing else to do. I never do that. I barely care to watch anymore. The Bombers have sucked and been boring.

That leads me to believe we have terrible coaching. If you have trouble scoring and your D isn't great, ****ing take risks. Nope. Not the bombers. Let's go dump and hump (the ground after getting sacked).

That's been a hallmark of our last three OCs (Lapo, Crowton, Bellefeuille). It's like they forget they're playing three down ball.

At least some of those mediocre teams with Khari and Glenn were fun to watch, you would see them take chances and stretch the field vertically, or see them try and extend plays by scrambling. The last five years, it's like we're watching some ****** American spring developmental league where they're trying to turn mediocre talent into programmable NFL robots. It's just maddening, they're ineffective and completely vanilla on offense.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Wiecek's article is silly drivel, but it does highlight the astounding lack of accountability around Bomberland. Willy bristling at that question is weak, but basically par for the course. Reminds me of the answer that Bob Wylie gave when asked about the O-Line struggles, basically the same thing. The culture surrounding this team could best be described as thin-skinned and not very aware.

Winnipeg truly is a QB graveyard, the inability to develop good QBs here is just astounding. Maybe back up a Brinks truck into the driveway of some 'QB guru' like Tedford or Trestman and let them hand pick and develop someone?

At this point I would almost want to see someone like Walby or MacNeil get the offensive line coaching job. No idea if the current coach is bad, but since he's been here it seems as though the o-line has stunk.

You know, I remember when I heard that Wylie response, it pissed me off. Here we have a team that basically left their QBs to be slaughtered.How many QBs in the last 5 years have been brutalized behind our joke of an O-line? Maybe you can blame a missed block by a running back or a QB that holds onto the ball too long for some of the hits our QBs have taken. But in the majority of the swarming of our QBs and RBs BEHIND the line, they are being hit as soon as the get the ball,and usually you will see a missed block by an O-lineman.
Wylie's response was not only dismissive but also confrontational.

We have several highly touted draft picks on the line along with a high priced former allstar, yet, we get the same results. Maybe it is the coach?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That's been a hallmark of our last three OCs (Lapo, Crowton, Bellefeuille). It's like they forget they're playing three down ball.

At least some of those mediocre teams with Khari and Glenn were fun to watch, you would see them take chances and stretch the field vertically, or see them try and extend plays by scrambling. The last five years, it's like we're watching some ****** American spring developmental league where they're trying to turn mediocre talent into programmable NFL robots. It's just maddening, they're ineffective and completely vanilla on offense.

Hard to stretch the field with little guys like Smith and Dresser. To be effective with the short passing game, you can't afford bad reads, bad passes and sacks. Willy just doesn't execute well enough for that style of offense.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Hard to stretch the field with little guys like Smith and Dresser. To be effective with the short passing game, you can't afford bad reads, bad passes and sacks. Willy just doesn't execute well enough for that style of offense.

I'm convinced at this point that Drew Willy just doesn't have the brain to be a starter. He can be pinpoint accurate on short and intermediate routes when given time, and he actually has some quicks for a big QB and an ability to get out of pressure. Problem is that he's dumber than a bag of hammers, and just freezes when any kind of pressure comes at him.

Using an NFL comparison, he actually reminds me a bit of Derek Anderson - hey, another once-promising pivot from another QB wasteland in Cleveland! Amazing arm talent, but nothing going on upstairs once the pressure amps up. Maybe Willy can be a very decent backup down the road, just like Anderson is now.

Last edited:

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I feel Willy needs to be on a good veteran team to do well. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes but isn't a big play guy at all. So with dominant D and a supporting cast I think he could do well unfortunately that's not the bombers.

His salary is what will get him released soon if he doesn't win the job back. No way he continues long at 400K holding a clipboard.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I get that Willy is a possession type Qb. The numbers back that up with good completion % and Qb rating. But he just does not inspire. IMO the Qb has to be the guy that oozes confidence. He is the team leader. Willy seems the opposite of that.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I get that Willy is a possession type Qb. The numbers back that up with good completion % and Qb rating. But he just does not inspire. IMO the Qb has to be the guy that oozes confidence. He is the team leader. Willy seems the opposite of that.

He showed that a ton when they were 5-1, and before all his injuries, did whatever it took to win and showed leadership and poise. I really believe all the injuries killed his psyche, should see Cal Botterril.

hockey-brent

Sep 1, 2006
Winnipeg
He showed that a ton when they were 5-1, and before all his injuries, did whatever it took to win and showed leadership and poise. I really believe all the injuries killed his psyche, should see Cal Botterril.

Good call on Willy and on Cal but is Cal still practicing? The guy is a legend is his field, great guy too.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I feel Willy needs to be on a good veteran team to do well. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes but isn't a big play guy at all. So with dominant D and a supporting cast I think he could do well unfortunately that's not the bombers.

His salary is what will get him released soon if he doesn't win the job back. No way he continues long at 400K holding a clipboard.

Sure doesn't account for his poor play and inability to make passes to his receivers, the way Willy was playing he would have been benched a lot earlier anywhere else!

I still say to be a successful CFL QB you need to be able to run, all the great ones in this league could!

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

they're fast dudes. height doesn't matter if they sprint down the field on occasion and get the long bomb. you need a threat of a deep threat to spread the field. for now, Willy's rarely tossed it deep, and when he does, he hangs it up

jetman

May 21, 2015
I'm convinced at this point that Drew Willy just doesn't have the brain to be a starter. He can be pinpoint accurate on short and intermediate routes when given time, and he actually has some quicks for a big QB and an ability to get out of pressure. Problem is that he's dumber than a bag of hammers, and just freezes when any kind of pressure comes at him.

Using an NFL comparison, he actually reminds me a bit of Derek Anderson - hey, another once-promising pivot from another QB wasteland in Cleveland! Amazing arm talent, but nothing going on upstairs once the pressure amps up. Maybe Willy can be a very decent backup down the road, just like Anderson is now.

Knowing our luck, Willy will figure everything out a year or two after the Bombers get rid of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad