2016 ATD Lineup Advice Thread

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
We're getting into Round 4 now, lineups are being fleshed out, post here to give advice on your and other lineups.

I'll start:

What kind of winger should I get for Sakic? Someone equal to Sakic who can do it all or someone who is a goal scorer, playmaker or glue guy?

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Perhaps something along the lines of a goal scorer with some physical presence, but that would leave you with very limited group of players for your other winger.

I think some physical presence, goal scorer or pass first type of guy would be really nice compliment to Sakic, given that he is kind of soft (there are some very nice ones coming up, goalscorers and glue guys too).

Salming is very durable player, but he is not physical enough for the entire first unit so to speak.

Maybe infuse your first line with some speed could be nice too.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Perhaps something along the lines of a goal scorer with some physical presence, but that would leave you with very limited group of players for your other winger.

I think some physical presence, goal scorer or pass first type of guy would be really nice compliment to Sakic, given that he is kind of soft (there are some very nice ones coming up, goalscorers and glue guys too).

Salming is very durable player, but he is not physical enough for the entire first unit so to speak.

Maybe infuse your first line with some speed could be nice too.

Thanks for your advice.

Jun 15, 2007
Should I draft a better centre to play out of position at wing or inferior natural winger ?

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Should I draft a better centre to play out of position at wing or inferior natural winger ?

There are several centers that have played a significant time on the wing and are worth considering over a natural winger.

Should you pick a center who's playstyle fits mostly on center, maybe someone who is good at faceoffs and perhaps carry the puck in the offensive zone and distribute it accordingly. That's a player you don't want to put on wing.

So generally, you would wanna put players on their native position. That's why having a player than can play more than 1 position very beneficial. It gives you some room to move players around if the draft doesn't align very well with what you want.

Given that you have Lemieux and Schmidt on your center positions, I don't think it would be wise to put a center on wing. Find players that compliment these two centers well - While Lemieux might arguably be the best goal scorer ever, he is a top notch playmaker as well so a good fit would be a natural winger (or a C/W player) that can finish it off if Lemieux passes the puck. On top of that you would probably need a good two-way presence on that line, unless that other winger doesn't provide that. Perhaps someone with some grit and proficiency in the corners to support Lemieux and whatever winger you give him (in other words, a "glue guy").

You can read a lot about these players that we haven't drafted yet (which you can find on the all time lists in the history forum as well as the past ATD draft lists) in the BIOS section.

Here is the BIOS list that people in the ATD have put together:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1149019

It's no means complete biographies but it gives a good sense on how they earned their name and how they played the game, along with the possible accolades they have accumulated.

Here you can also find past draft lists:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1782311

It's worth checking on how other people who have had your players to see what route they went with putting together perhaps a winning team.

Jun 15, 2007
Thanks guys. Especially for the bios master thread Iceman, I was looking for that one.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Too many members of this draft community are far too rigid with positional play. Despite the fact that most forwards that get drafted are centers, and a lot get moved to the wing, there seems to be a misconception that centers can't play wing.

Go with a natural winger..... unless you like to fight as much as I do :laugh:

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Too many members of this draft community are far too rigid with positional play. Despite the fact that most forwards that get drafted are centers, and a lot get moved to the wing, there seems to be a misconception that centers can't play wing.

It's a never ending discussion for sure but given that he has Lemieux and Schmidt he should build around them as much as possible. They are the corner stones of the team - they will make things happen.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
It's a never ending discussion for sure but given that he has Lemieux and Schmidt he should build around them as much as possible. They are the corner stones of the team - they will make things happen.

How does the fact that he has 2 centres change anything I said?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Dont get me started on that one... Rigid is an understatement.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
How does the fact that he has 2 centres change anything I said?

What???

Then I guess you would be approve of Leaf Lander, or whoever got Fedorov, to place him on the first pairing since he was highly competent defensively and is a 1st liner otherwise... right? Heck, he even got the chance to play D under Bowman on occasion.

Saying certain players SHOULD be fine playing wing is like saying Lindros would be a top 5 center had he been less injured. There are no proof of neither.

But don't talk to me, I am certainly not one of the guys against placing a center on wing.

Placing a player on a position he is unproven at will take a hit when it comes down to voting, just like injury prone players, peak players and playoff chokers.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
What do you guys think of Malone - Morenz?

Should be fine - a lot of goalscoring though. Could use a perceptive two-way (maybe physical or at least gritty) RW with a pass first mentality.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
What do you guys think of Malone - Morenz?

As long as you find a good corner man, I dont think the line should have too much of a problem.

I do think that you should consider having them on separate lines, though. Having two top notch offensive talents, especially with speed... it could cause a lot of problems for second pairings/units.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Should be fine - a lot of goalscoring though. Could use a perceptive two-way (maybe physical or at least gritty) RW with a pass first mentality.

As long as you find a good corner man, I dont think the line should have too much of a problem.

I do think that you should consider having them on separate lines, though. Having two top notch offensive talents, especially with speed... it could cause a lot of problems for second pairings/units.

Thanks for the feedback. I kind of expected to hear this though. :laugh:

I don't personally think every line needs to be "perfect" with respect to having all the perceived "ingredients". Just to name some recent examples..

Who was winning puck battles for Stamkos - St. Louis when they were dominating the scoring charts?

Who was the playmaker for Van Riemsdyk - Bozak - Kessel?

The way I envision it is that these guys would be absolutely lethal on the transition game, and they are good enough defensively to break up rushes in the neutral zone fairly consistently and then counter-attack with speed. In the offensive zone, they would keep the puck away from the boards as much as possible and play a possession style, but if it ever did get to the boards, I believe at least Morenz could hold his own.

Yes, they will lose their fair share of battles if the puck goes to the boards, but I believe this would be vastly offset by their ability to create plays through their skill.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island

I don't personally think every line needs to be "perfect" with respect to having all the perceived "ingredients". Just to name some recent examples..

Who was winning puck battles for Stamkos - St. Louis when they were dominating the scoring charts?

I agree with you on the Stammer/MSL thing but should we really be using the Leafs as an example here? :D

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I usually think that if I miss something critical on a line, if I cannot swap players around, that I at least make up for it on the back end or vice versa.

Do you need a true playmaking centerman if you have Bobby Orr? In general, maybe not, but if you got a lot of positioned shoot first wingers maybe you do -- have someone behind the net and in the corners and throw the puck out to whoever is in front of the goal.

Do you need a puck moving defenseman as your #1 when you have Forsberg as your centerman? Probably not.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

The way I envision it is that these guys would be absolutely lethal on the transition game, and they are good enough defensively to break up rushes in the neutral zone fairly consistently and then counter-attack with speed. In the offensive zone, they would keep the puck away from the boards as much as possible and play a possession style, but if it ever did get to the boards, I believe at least Morenz could hold his own.

Yes, they will lose their fair share of battles if the puck goes to the boards, but I believe this would be vastly offset by their ability to create plays through their skill.

Eh? Lightning famously aquired Downie to add corner presence and grit to the Stamkos - MSL combo.

and I doubt history will recall that leafs line as a great line. In any case Bozak was the playmaker of them. A below average one at that.

Not that I completely disagree with you but those were poor examples. Name a great first line that one a cup that missed a major element relative to era.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I agree with you on the Stammer/MSL thing but should we really be using the Leafs as an example here? :D

As bad as the Leafs were, the Leafs' top line was dynamite offensively. They had issues in the defensive zone, which was a significant problem. Malone - Morenz will not.

I usually think that if I miss something critical on a line, if I cannot swap players around, that I at least make up for it on the back end or vice versa.

Do you need a true playmaking centerman if you have Bobby Orr? In general, maybe not, but if you got a lot of positioned shoot first wingers maybe you do -- have someone behind the net and in the corners and throw the puck out to whoever is in front of the goal.

Do you need a puck moving defenseman as your #1 when you have Forsberg as your centerman? Probably not.

I hear what you're saying. There's only so much you can make up for on defense though.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Eh? Lightning famously aquired Downie to add corner presence and grit to the Stamkos - MSL combo.

and I doubt history will recall that leafs line as a great line. In any case Bozak was the playmaker of them. A below average one at that.

Not that I completely disagree with you but those were poor examples. Name a great first line that one a cup that missed a major element relative to era.

And Downie was the only one who provided a substantial amount of muscle to the line. I agree that if your line is COMPLETELY DEVOID of goal scoring/toughness/playmaking, etc., you're probably in trouble, but I feel like Morenz by himself brings an adequate amount of both playmaking and toughness, if not better than adequate.

Regardless, advice has been given and noted. Thanks guys! :)

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
What???

Then I guess you would be approve of Leaf Lander, or whoever got Fedorov, to place him on the first pairing since he was highly competent defensively and is a 1st liner otherwise... right? Heck, he even got the chance to play D under Bowman on occasion.

Saying certain players SHOULD be fine playing wing is like saying Lindros would be a top 5 center had he been less injured. There are no proof of neither.

But don't talk to me, I am certainly not one of the guys against placing a center on wing.

Placing a player on a position he is unproven at will take a hit when it comes down to voting, just like injury prone players, peak players and playoff chokers.

That's a valid opinion, but you are speaking as one of the rigid ones :)

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I don't see a big deal with a center transitioning to the wing. Wing to center though, that could be a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad