Post-Game Talk: 2016 All Star Weekend/Game presented by John Scott (Ovie out, Kuzy in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Watching this game makes it obvious why Kings or Hawks always make the SCF from the West. All the good goalies play in the East now and those 2 are the only teams that have even argually top-10 goalies (Rinne has always lacked consistency and that injury ruined him, Allen is too young and loses his spot from time to time to Elliott). East has 4 best goalies in these games and Rask, Lundqvist and Price aren't even there. Mrazek, like Allen, is a good up-and-coming young goalie that might crack that top-10 eventually.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
All-Star Games in every sport are a joke, and always have been. Even baseball, in which "it matters" and isn't a particularly physical sport. Hockey's is above only the Pro Bowl.

Under no circumstances do I want the ASG to be taken seriously. If it's serious, then players get hurt.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
So the NHL just handed the MVP award to a guy who doesn't even play in the league. Next year maybe we can have some pets play, or maybe spouses and kids of players we vote in? Maybe we can do a golden ticket award throughout the year. Some random beer league guy gets to play each year. That would be fantastic.

Good for Scott, dude has been outstanding the way he has handled everything, and the players treated him well. This farce is on the idiots at the NHL and the stupid fans who think "bucking the system" makes them cool.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
So the NHL just handed the MVP award to a guy who doesn't even play in the league. Next year maybe we can have some pets play, or maybe spouses and kids of players we vote in? Maybe we can do a golden ticket award throughout the year. Some random beer league guy gets to play each year. That would be fantastic.

Good for Scott, dude has been outstanding the way he has handled everything, and the players treated him well. This farce is on the idiots at the NHL and the stupid fans who think "bucking the system" makes them cool.

Relax. It's clearly the end of this.

Next time they will be prepared. Maybe.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The voting was ridiculous but Scott made the best of it. All's well that ends well. Great guy, great game, great story.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
All-Star Games in every sport are a joke, and always have been. Even baseball, in which "it matters" and isn't a particularly physical sport. Hockey's is above only the Pro Bowl.

Under no circumstances do I want the ASG to be taken seriously. If it's serious, then players get hurt.

I agree the pro-bowl has always been a joke. Mainly because the best players didn't always go, the game was not even close to the real game, and you still have the SB going on. But MLB/NHL/NBA used to have good events. The players used to be honored and want to play. Fans were entertained by the high level of play being shown, and it was a great event. I don't know if its the level of money in the contracts with the risk of getting hurt, or more of leagues making the events less and less about the actual game. But each year they all suck more. I don't know what the answer is, I guess the next generation just can't enjoy a game, they need a circus show to have fun.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I agree the pro-bowl has always been a joke. Mainly because the best players didn't always go, the game was not even close to the real game, and you still have the SB going on. But MLB/NHL/NBA used to have good events. The players used to be honored and want to play. Fans were entertained by the high level of play being shown, and it was a great event. I don't know if its the level of money in the contracts with the risk of getting hurt, or more of leagues making the events less and less about the actual game. But each year they all suck more. I don't know what the answer is, I guess the next generation just can't enjoy a game, they need a circus show to have fun.

Sorry that the holy temple of sports known as the All Star Game has been defiled. I wish you the greatest of fortune in your crusade against the infidels of the next generation.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA

You should try this thing called fun. It's a pretty good and positive time.

Relax. It's an exhibition. Don't make a big deal out of it and the NHL got 10x more exposure tonight than they would have if Scott wasn't playing.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
You should try this thing called fun. It's a pretty good and positive time.

Relax. It's an exhibition. Don't make a big deal out of it and the NHL got 10x more exposure tonight than they would have if Scott wasn't playing.

The game IS fun. Watching good hockey IS fun. I don't need an AHL player to root for to have fun. Besides that 10x exposure wasn't all good.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I just don't get why people think John Scott getting voted in was a bad thing. The voters thought it would be cool to see him skating with other all stars and what do you know? We have the absolute best all star game that I can remember in large part because of John Scott's presence.

Did you hear the crowd in Nashville? They couldn't get enough of the guy. Dude genuinely wanted to be there and no one pitied him.

I don't think there's a place for enforcers in today's NHL, but they clearly have huge respect from teammates and to see one of them represented at the ASG understandably was received well by the fans and players. What else can you ask for?

The only sad part is that the NHL and Bettman did everything in their power to screw it up but Scott and the fans wouldn't let them.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Can't believe people are still *****ing about the John Scott saga and fans who voted for him. It gave the event that otherwise would be entirely forgettable a warm feeling, everyone cheering for Scott was awesome, and how is fans voting for a player who's genuinely going to have the best weekend in his life bad? The players who were a part of that didn't look pissed off as well. I hope Scott becomes a commentator or something like that after retirements.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
I think it was a conspiracy.

I mean, how did the league know to make the check John-Scott-sized if they didn't want him to win?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Thank God for the end of the John Scott pity-party.

And the hopefully firing of anyone in the NHL involved with social media.

Really? I find it was a terrific marketing move. The NHL garnered a LOT of attention in the process, which is what the game needs. The picture of Scott winning the MVP award on the NHL's Facebook page got 50k+ likes. I've never seen that many likes before on something posted by the NHL. Ovechkin scoring 50 goals gets 20k likes at most.

God forbid the fans are having fun! :shakehead

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I hated the joke that was the vote. The end of the game turned out well. I called him as MVP the day it was confirmed he was going. Glad for the guy and his family after all that. The other players rallying around him made it enjoyable for me.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
Best part about the whole John Scott situation was the way the players treated him with just as much respect as a guy who gets 100 points a season. Its over, who cares. Back to more important business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad