Prospect Info: 2016 7th Round pick: 206th overall Otto Somppi

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
There's a sarcasm emoti for that, can't play off the sarcasm bit when it was actually a pretty close shot

It was an empty net.... for an NHL player...at a standstill..

Missing by a couple inches is just as sad as missing by a couple meters.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
It was an empty net.... for an NHL player...at a standstill..

Missing by a couple inches is just as sad as missing by a couple meters.

Did I miss a second video or something?

1. It wasn't an empty net, the goalie was covering most of the net because he moved up to cut down the angle, and in doing so opened up that rebound opportunity

2. He wasn't at a stand still, he was skating, had to wait for traffic to clear, and then had to hurry his shot because the goalie was moving to cover the net. That is a tiny window in which to shoot.

3. The best players in the world miss 15 inch targets at the NHL skills competition pretty regularly(that's 7.5 inches of radius for those who are mathematically challenged), and they actually are at a stand still and have an empty net.

This is exactly why I posted what I did. Some of you have some unreal expectations of what to expect from junior league hockey players.

Or maybe you are going to say you were being sarcastic too?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
You guys are talking about totally different things. Sky is talking about Hedman and RSchmitz is talking about Somppi.

And holy cow are you salty for absolutely no reason :laugh:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
You guys are talking about totally different things. Sky is talking about Hedman and RSchmitz is talking about Somppi.

And holy cow are you salty for absolutely no reason :laugh:

How is what I said salty? Because I disagreed and gave evidence? Maybe you are reading it off in you head that way. :laugh: ok...

He bolded my reaction to Somppi's shot, so if he's talking about Hedman than he needs to clarify that, because I never brought up Heddy. That would make a lot more sense though

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
You know it's a bad season when these are the things we're arguing about. :laugh:

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Somppi was actually a bit frustrating to watch at times in Halifax this season. There would be these flashes of skill, and you'd start to get excited about him, but then he'd disappear for while. He had a bad habit of sticking too much to the perimeter at times.

However, it's the flashes of skill he showed that are most important. All of the negative things I just said about Somppi are what I also would have said about Timo Meier is his first year with Halifax. Some guys from Europe just don't adjust quite as fast as other when they come over to the CHL, and I think that's the case with Somppi(Injuries didn't help either). I expect to see him take a big step forward next year, as he's got the skill to be a top player in the Q. I think you guys will be very happy with him in a few years time, he's a great value pick for the 7th round.

I think this is a common trait of a lot of guys coming in from Europe, where they're accustomed to having both more space and time to be creative, work from the perimeter, and react to the play around them. Less time and space in the NHL, of course. This was a similar gripe about Palat when he moved to the Q.

He was beat to **** at the draft IIRC. Almost Koekkoek territory with that shoulder, but I don't know exactly how true that is.

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
Do we think this kid has NHL potential? Just finished his strongest season at the AHL level with 12-14-26 in 32 games.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Do we think this kid has NHL potential? Just finished his strongest season at the AHL level with 12-14-26 in 32 games.

I think he will get a shot at camp to challenge Stephens for the 4C. Stephens injury problems have prevented him from becoming the player he could and not one we can rely on. I see Sommpi getting a callup when Stephens goes down with his inevitable injury next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad