Prospect Info: 2016 4th round - 103rd overall - Todd Burgess (Fairbanks Ice Dogs)

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
The guy seems to have a few good tools. I'm going to treat this one like I do most college picks, put him back of mind until he does something in college/Binghamton.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah, I tend to agree with the general philosophy here. I don't know about the player himself so I can't comment on that, but I feel like organizations need to use the draft in large part to claim players before someone else does... and if you feel a player is going to slide or go undrafted you wait on it. Might be the case here, and it might not... but fourth feels pretty early here. But don't draft guys exclusively how you value them - that's making it too simple, there are too many moving parts in a draft for you to navigate to just go straight through.

Not saying that I am a fan of the pick or method or anything but to be honest, that is probably the only reason why they drafted Burgess, they had some info that another team (or several) were going to draft him very soon, so like they traded up to get Karlsson or Brown, they used their #103 pick before someone pick that player under their nose. I have no idea why they have so much faith in this guy, but they might see a possible gem, and they were probably not alone, hence the selection.

It's funny because for me, the fact that they made this pick at #103 pretty much tells me that they are doing what you accuse them of NOT doing (not drafting depending on what happens around them). Funny how people see things differently.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I read somewhere that re-draft players taken in later rounds statistically have a higher chance of making the NHL.

I'll look for the article later on, can't find it at the moment. HERE'S THE ARTICLE

hWX87qK.png

NwXGnNo.png

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad