Prospect Info: 2016 4th round - 103rd overall - Todd Burgess (Fairbanks Ice Dogs)

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
"Player: Todd Burgess
Team: Fairbanks Ice Dogs(NAHL)
Position: Center
Height: 6'2" Weight: 179 lbs.
Shoots: Right
Stats: 60 games, 38 goals, 57 assists, 95 points, +27
Final NHL Central Scouting rank: 185th among North American skaters"

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...urgess-2016-nhl-draft-profile-scouting-report

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=206321

https://twitter.com/burgess_todd

Edit: Can someone edit the title to reflect the correct draft position?

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Sleeper Alert
Todd Burgess, C – Fairbanks Ice Dogs (NAHL): While the North American League is better known for goalies (Hellebuyck, Stolarz, Ryan Miller back in the day), scouts are keeping an eye on Burgess, a sniper with a Jimmy Vesey vibe who ironically has been more of a set-up guy during the playoffs. Nonetheless, keep an eye on the R.P.I. commit on the second day of the draft.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/prospect-need-to-know-wade-allison-is-burning-up-the-draft-charts/

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Jimmy Vesey vibe? So he's going to develop really well and then screw us? Nice.

HousePerseus

Oct 7, 2011
ottawa
@JoeYerdon: Senators take RW Todd Burgess out of Fairbanks of the NAHL in the 4th round. He's headed to RPI for school.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Seems like he knows how to score. Always like it when we draft players who know how to be a scorer

Whats the tier for U.S junior leagues? Can someone explain?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Spending 4 years at college after being drafted as an over-age?

He'd be 24-25 before he even got a sniff of free agency. It is barely even early free agency. Stamkos/Ganger got Free Agency at 26.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
CHL
USHL
NAHL / My league that folded a couple years ago haha

The NA is a very small gap between the USHL.

I had a few friends play in both, and while more U kids got scholarships to the big D1 schools, NA players usually got scholarships to D III colleges.

Not the first place you would look for talent obviously, but there could be unscouted gems.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
From what I read he tied the NAHL points record of 95 points set in 2009 and was the first current player to rank on NHL central scoutings list.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So apparently this pick is heavily influenced by Bob Janecyk. Janecyk is also the scout responsible for drafting Tim Boyle, so use that info as you will.

Apparently, Burgess had a broken patella when he started in the NAHL, which is why he was off the draft radar until this season.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
I am always amazed by how dumb scouts are. You can tell a lot from a name. A "Burgess" is simply never going to be found on any scoring lists. At best, he will be a large, slow player who watches most plays pass him by.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Again this seems like a camp invite type player too me.. Said the same thing about Wolanin when he was drafted.

If they really wanted to draft them, i'd be fairly certain they'd be available in the 6th/7th.

I question Janecyk's judgement sometimes..

Torso9000

Aug 12, 2011
While he was responsible for the Boyle, Eiserman, Wolanin, and Aneloski picks, he was also behind the McCormick and Dzingel ones.

I don't know that that's an incredible success rate for mid/late round picks by any stretch, but it's probably no worse than average.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
seems like a meh pick to me, oh well let's see how he develops first before any more criticism of the pick.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
So apparently this pick is heavily influenced by Bob Janecyk. Janecyk is also the scout responsible for drafting Tim Boyle, so use that info as you will.

Apparently, Burgess had a broken patella when he started in the NAHL, which is why he was off the draft radar until this season.

Time to not allow this guy to select players

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
While he was responsible for the Boyle, Eiserman, Wolanin, and Aneloski picks, he was also behind the McCormick and Dzingel ones.

I don't know that that's an incredible success rate for mid/late round picks by any stretch, but it's probably no worse than average.

This guy liked overagers

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Again this seems like a camp invite type player too me.. Said the same thing about Wolanin when he was drafted.

If they really wanted to draft them, i'd be fairly certain they'd be available in the 6th/7th.

My thoughts as well

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006

I completely agree with everything in this post. Janecyk seems like a scout who had identify talent. Great. Awesome job.

The problem is that he seems to identify talent we can acquire as UFAs like Robinson, Dizzy, and Schneider.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Yeah, I tend to agree with the general philosophy here. I don't know about the player himself so I can't comment on that, but I feel like organizations need to use the draft in large part to claim players before someone else does... and if you feel a player is going to slide or go undrafted you wait on it. Might be the case here, and it might not... but fourth feels pretty early here. But don't draft guys exclusively how you value them - that's making it too simple, there are too many moving parts in a draft for you to navigate to just go straight through.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We need to stop drafting from obscure US programs, it really has not worked for us.
This guy is a double overaged player playing in the NAHL. That is a league lower than Junior A in Canada. I don't understand this selection, he seems like a 7th/camp invite.

It's like it was written in Janecyk's contract that he has free reign to take whoever he wants in the 3rd-6th rounds, as long as they are overaged/from an obscure program.

He's not the only one to go from the NAHL, or the only dbl overager, I just don't like the trend we have of seemingly needing to pick guys that fit that criteria.

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
7th overall in scoring out of all NA prospects across all NA leagues that were ranked by NHL central scouting

Bigger then most other undrafted players that put up huge numbers

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Has Dorion come out and said anything about this guy. Would love to hear where the sens had him ranked ranked l

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad