Line Combos: 2016-2017 Line Combinations

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
With the season on its way it's time to start rampant speculation about who should be playing with whom.

I don't really want to post mine or the thread will probably be about how uninformed it is....

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I'd like to see:

Landy - MacK - Rants
Grigo - Dutchy - Colbs
Comeau - Sods - Compher
Marty/Smith - Mitchell - G. Bourque (I acknowledge McLeod will be there)
McLeod

Beauch - EJ
Bigras - Barrie
Zads - Toots

Wier - Gelly (I'd like to see Siemens here if he earns being on the big club for a chance at a look here and there, but I am doubtful)

Varly
Picks

No idea what to expect from the new coach.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'd like to see a life without Mikko version because I personally don't think he's back in 2 weeks. I don't think that means Compher makes the team, probably like Ben smith or if they sign G. Bourque.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Grigorenko-MacKinnon-Colborne
Landeskog-Duchene-Rantanen

Barrie-EJ
Bigras-Beauch
Zadorov-Tyutin

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Grigorenko-MacKinnon-Colborne
Landeskog-Duchene-Rantanen

Barrie-EJ
Bigras-Beauch
Zadorov-Tyutin

I think i'd rather have Gabe with Mack than Dutchy.

Landy - Mack - Grigs
Colborne - Dutchy - Rants

Are we even sure they're going to put Mack and Dutchy both back at center? I've seen a lot of projected line ups with them both there as if that is the plan. I know Mack has taken a lot of faceoffs but both have looked pretty solid at "right wing".

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I think i'd rather have Gabe with Mack than Dutchy.

Landy - Mack - Grigs
Colborne - Dutchy - Rants

Are we even sure they're going to put Mack and Dutchy both back at center? I've seen a lot of projected line ups with them both there as if that is the plan. I know Mack has taken a lot of faceoffs but both have looked pretty solid at "right wing".
I have no idea. There are so many combinations with the versatility of MacKinnon and Duchene, and potentially Rantanen as well.

Duchene-Rantanen-MacKinnon anyone?

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I have no idea. There are so many combinations with the versatility of MacKinnon and Duchene, and potentially Rantanen as well.

Duchene-Rantanen-MacKinnon anyone?

With Rantanen at center? :laugh: That'll make everyone happy to have your top 2 centers playing wing with a rookie playing center that everyone wants to play wing.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Always been my starting preference.

Landy - Soderberg - Duchene
Colborne - Mack - Mikko
Comeau - Grigo - Iggy
McLeod - Mitchell - G. Bourque

Beauch - EJ
Bigras - Barrie
Zadorov - Tyutin

x - Martinsen, Wiercioch, Gelinas

I'd actually like to see Bigras and Tyutin swap places, those are better fits for pairings IMO, but I'm sure they'll play Tyutin with Z to start off with. I'm also pretty sure Bigras will be sent down and Wiercioch will play with Barrie. Compher will get like half a season's AHL seasoning, and then get a call up and probably never look back.

Grigo I think could be in for a rough season. He's going to have to really work his butt off. I can see him being a scratch down the line, then Compher takes his place for whatever reason, and then Grigo not getting brought back.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I know peeps feel uncomfortable with Landy on the "3rd" line but him and Soda (and potentially Rants) should be a pairing at some point.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I know peeps feel uncomfortable with Landy on the "3rd" line but him and Soda (and potentially Rants) should be a pairing at some point.

Landy-Soda is the only duo that needs to be kept together at all costs IMO. At least to start. Their chemistry is the only one that's really proven, and when together they form a much needed shutdown line.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Grigo-MacK-Duchene
Landy-Soderberg-Comeau
Colborne-Rantanen-Iginla (whoever can play center)
McLeod-Mitchell-somebody

Beauch-EJ
somebody-Barrie
Zadorov-Tyutin

That's my best stab at realistic combined with what I'd like to see. They don't have enough wingers to go around as it is, I just don't see how they are going to do the spread 3 lines approach. Someone will win that 4th line job in camp, I'm not going to guess at it now before seeing them. Its probably between Smith and G. Bourque. If Mikko doesn't start the season (let's just not live in the land of optimism here) then two of them likely make it, obviously guys like Grimaldi, Compher, Martinsen are in the mix too. Mikko missing some or all of camp isn't going to put him in the top 6 immediately when he can come in and I've always felt like they are going to ease him in somewhat anyway, the injury just reinforces that. I think the D is set other than someone winning the job to start next to Barrie. Would seem like one of Gelinas/Wiercoich with the other sitting if there's 7 D but Bigras is going to show well and make it awfully tough to send him down. I'm not saying he is going to win a top 4 spot next to Barrie but I'm not counting out him sticking around somehow.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Grigs - Mack - Duchy
Landy - Soda - Rants
Colb - Comph - Iggy
McLeod - Mitchell - Comeau

is what I would like to see, but I don't expect it.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
I'd be curious to see

Grigs Duchene rantanen
Landy Soda Mack
Comeau colborne iggy
McLeod Mitchell g. Bourque/Marty.

Why I think it would be interesting. As we are seeing in the World Cup and with Stastny before Mack plays very well with playmaking smart centers. The nuge Stastny and soderberg all play the game in a similar way IMO.

Landy and soda work well together as shown last year and in these World Cup.

Grigs Duchene and rantanen would be ideal for Duchene. Grigs and him have had success last year and rantanen would fit in well on that line.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Grigo - Mack - Colborne
Lando - Yeti - Comeau
Tlusty - Duchene - Rantanen
McLeod - Mitchell - Iggy
Bourque, Smith

Beauch - EJ
Bigras - Barrie
Zadorov - Tyutin
Gelinas

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Just a guess:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Grigorenko - Duchene - Iginla
Colborne - Soderberg - Comeau
McLeod - Mitchell - Smith

Beauchemin - Johnson
Tyutin - Barrie
Zadorov - Wiercioch

Varlamov
Pickard

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Landeskog-Mackinnon-Colborne
Grigorenko-Duchene-Iginla
Comeau-Soderberg-Rantanen
Mcleod-Mitchell-G Bourque
Martinsen

Barrie-Johnson
Beauchemin-Bigras
Zadorov-Tyutin
Gelinas/Wiercioch

Varlamov
Pickard

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
the only time the Avs were consistently winning last year was when Landeskog, MacKinnon, and Duchene were on a line. Since it's probably going to be another season where Colorado has to win on offense and hot goaltending, I'd rather squeeze the most out of the Avs top players. The corollary (as seen last year) is that when those three don't score the Avs don't win, but that's almost certainly going to be true no matter where they are in the lineup.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
ideal, not realistic lineup, 20 games in:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Grigorenko - Duchene - Tlusty
Colborne - Soderberg - Comeau
Bourque - Mitchell - Iginla
Mcleod, Smith

Bigras - Johnson
Beauchemin - Barrie
Zadorov - Tyutin
Gelinas, Wiercioch

Varly
Pickard

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
the only time the Avs were consistently winning last year was when Landeskog, MacKinnon, and Duchene were on a line. Since it's probably going to be another season where Colorado has to win on offense and hot goaltending, I'd rather squeeze the most out of the Avs top players. The corollary (as seen last year) is that when those three don't score the Avs don't win, but that's almost certainly going to be true no matter where they are in the lineup.

Usually teams win when they get secondary scoring but definitely the best players have to deliver in big moments.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
I think we need to be a little more cautious with Rantanen. He was super successful in the AHL, but that will translate better to playing against third and fourth line opposition. At least until he finds his NHL game. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but expecting him to produce as a top six NHL forward is jumping the gun I think.

Landeskog - Soderberg - Comeau
Colburn - MacKinnon - Duchene
Rantanen - Grigorenko - Iginla
(PTO) - Mitchell - (PTO)

Playing with Grigs would be ideal as he gets an offensively competent forward that can play on the third line. Iginla gives him a great outlet.

Iginla NEEDS to get out of the top 6, despite how weak we are at RW. He's only going to get slower.

I'd like Compher to make the team, but it might be better for his development to play big minutes in SA.

McLeod should make the team, but often be in the press box. We have a new coach and we need a new attitude towards mediocre vets. And you know who needs a letter? Matt Goddamn Duchene.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
By season's end I want to see:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Compher
Grigorenko - Duchene - Rantanen
Comeau - Soderberg - Colborne
McCleod - Mitchell - Bourque/Tlusty/Petryk/???

Barrie - Johnson
Zadorov - Beauch
Bigras - Tyutin/Gelinas/Wiercoch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad