Line Combos: 2016-2017 Kings Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I think you're forgetting the fact that Lombardi is one of the most conservative GMs in the league, all hell could freeze before he makes any considerable changes. Hell, the only reason why he fired Terry Murray was because upper management pressured him to do so.

So what cap space does he have to move ?

With Toffoli /Pearson needing raises ?

Who is he going to get ?

We all understand that.

What could happen though is the roster implode, or someone actually steps up and produces.

Neither is out of the realm of possibility.

ShattStar03

Jul 21, 2008
Claremont, CA
So what cap space does he have to move ?

With Toffoli /Pearson needing raises ?

Who is he going to get ?

Exactly, I don't anticipate very much happening throughout the season besides a few call ups. Even if DL does call up some youngsters, do you think a bunch of rookies can turn your season around? Highly doubt that.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Cause you would still see lots of turnovers, and rookies making rookie mistakes.

Then you would be complaining about that.

I think id be ok with that considering this team is not going to be going anywhere . Let the kids play and gain some experience . The sooner the better . Then they can be apart of the team in a bigger role once we can add some pieces needed to go on another run .

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Similar to the 2012 Kings, their defense was strong, offense struggled, made a coaching change, they made some midseason callups, added Hagelin and Daley and off they went.

Absolutely wrong but apparently winning fixes perceptions.

Pens had massive holes on D--still do. It's held together with tape and hope. It just all came together at the right time and played to potential or above their heads--sort of like Dwight King going nuclear vs. the Coyotes in the WCF. Best we'll see him play ever. The Pens didn't start the season with guys that went nuts for them and that's Damacles' point--teams aren't 'complete' after game one and more often than not the Cup winner undergoes a significant facelift during the season. A saavy GM can pull that off--and ours has demonstrated that at least twice (and made very significant moves other times that didn't work out but were widely lauded at the time as hugely positive moves, like Sekera).

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Cause you would still see lots of turnovers, and rookies making rookie mistakes.

Then you would be complaining about that.

And the fact that Darryl Sutter is the coach. He doesn't like playing kids, that's the bottom line. And it's hard to argue why with the results he's gotten as a head coach in the NHL. He will sink or swim with vets and maybe ket a kid or 2 play. First mistake the kids make they sit on the bench.

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
You're a joke. Right? This is a joke?

If not, you know nothing of sports and elite mangement and how hard it is to come by. You may exit stage left. Please, don't even take a program.

Who do we replace Dean with? And don't say Futa. Save yourself my retort. And don't say Blake, save yourself your own embarrassment.

ETA -- And don't say "idk derp, anyone, someone who is good derp derp" Not with the incendiary comparison you stated in your post. I genuinely want to know.

You're, what, 20? 22?

Dean is currently throwing patches on holes in the roster, hopefully his drafting fills the spots but if he goes out and trades prospects/picks and has more people walk away on him for nothing its a big problem. he's had more strikeouts than home runs the last couple seasons and if he loses more assets for nothing whoever replaces him will have nothing to build with. Ive been wrong before and I would love for dean to prove me wrong and pull something out of his hat but until he does his stock is falling.

I like Futa, there is a reason other teams have asked to talk to him for open GM spots. But there are also people out there like the kid they found for the coyotes that I probably have no clue about but are on the radar for the NHL. Jim Botterelli (sp?) from Pittsburgh is going to get a GM job soon, Brisebois in Tampa is another up and comer, Dubas in Toronto would have been the GM if Lou didn't want the job. lots of options out there.

I don't know what my age has to do with this but you do know that the kings have been around since before 2012? There were a lot of years that there was no hope, we weren't good enough to make the playoffs and weren't bad enough to get a high pick (the black hole us adults were talking about earlier) and there are lots of us who don't want to go back to those days.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I watched this game last night and felt like I was in a twilight zone episode when I saw King, Lewis and Greene on the ice.

Then I change the channel and see the Leafs playing all their kids and everyone is fast, scrappy and skilled. The Kings look slow and boring.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Per Rosen, here are the lines for today:

King-Kopi-Toffoli
Purcell-Carter-Lewis
Clifford-Shore-Brown
AA-Dowd-Seto

I really like the fourth line. I would have preferred to have Seto instead of Lewis on the second line though. Should be interesting, but things will change after Friday's game since Pearson will be back.

eleventy

Conditioner goes first
Jul 4, 2007

King-Kopi-Toffoli
Purcell-Carter-Lewis
Clifford-Shore-Brown
AA-Dowd-Seto

I really like the fourth line. I would have preferred to have Seto instead of Lewis on the second line though. Should be interesting, but things will change after Friday's game since Pearson will be back.

....and here we go with players like King/Lewis playing top-6 roles. :help::help:

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
....and here we go with players like King/Lewis playing top-6 roles. :help::help:

It's what happens when you have two of your top 6 out.
One will be back after Friday.
But the other still has awhile before getting back.

I'm more concerned about the goalie situation than the lines at the moment. But many of these same players have rallied when Quick has gone down in the past. Let's hope they can do it again.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Absolutely wrong but apparently winning fixes perceptions.

Pens had massive holes on D--still do. It's held together with tape and hope. It just all came together at the right time and played to potential or above their heads--sort of like Dwight King going nuclear vs. the Coyotes in the WCF. Best we'll see him play ever. The Pens didn't start the season with guys that went nuts for them and that's Damacles' point--teams aren't 'complete' after game one and more often than not the Cup winner undergoes a significant facelift during the season. A saavy GM can pull that off--and ours has demonstrated that at least twice (and made very significant moves other times that didn't work out but were widely lauded at the time as hugely positive moves, like Sekera).

I don't know what you are disputing, but the Penguins had the 6th best defense in the league last season and their PK was in the top 5 in the NHL. Like I said, they were the hottest team in the league after the coaching change.

Even Dean Lombardi himself made mention of this. Or are you saying he's a liar as well? You might need to adjust your perception on what happened last season.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
It will be interesting to see what the D pairs look like. If Gilbert sits again that would appear to me to be a huge red flag. Might as well dump Greene and bring up LaDue. Kings cannot hope to do anything with just two puck movers (and one of them playing the wrong side).

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002

King-Kopi-Toffoli
Purcell-Carter-Lewis
Clifford-Shore-Brown
AA-Dowd-Seto

I like the forth better then the 2nd. Lewis is where offense goes to die. Poor Carter

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013

King-Kopi-Toffoli
Purcell-Carter-Lewis
Clifford-Shore-Brown
AA-Dowd-Seto

Well that didn't take long

I'm ****ing dying! :laugh:

It will be interesting to see what the D pairs look like. If Gilbert sits again that would appear to me to be a huge red flag. Might as well dump Greene and bring up LaDue. Kings cannot hope to do anything with just two puck movers (and one of them playing the wrong side).

Greene will get banged up soon enough, don't worry. Just enjoy Greene before he retires.

I like the forth better then the 2nd. Lewis is where offense goes to die. Poor Carter

Maybe we should start the 4th line as the first?

Not joking.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Dean is currently throwing patches on holes in the roster, hopefully his drafting fills the spots but if he goes out and trades prospects/picks and has more people walk away on him for nothing its a big problem. he's had more strikeouts than home runs the last couple seasons and if he loses more assets for nothing whoever replaces him will have nothing to build with. Ive been wrong before and I would love for dean to prove me wrong and pull something out of his hat but until he does his stock is falling.

I like Futa, there is a reason other teams have asked to talk to him for open GM spots. But there are also people out there like the kid they found for the coyotes that I probably have no clue about but are on the radar for the NHL. Jim Botterelli (sp?) from Pittsburgh is going to get a GM job soon, Brisebois in Tampa is another up and comer, Dubas in Toronto would have been the GM if Lou didn't want the job. lots of options out there.

I don't know what my age has to do with this but you do know that the kings have been around since before 2012? There were a lot of years that there was no hope, we weren't good enough to make the playoffs and weren't bad enough to get a high pick (the black hole us adults were talking about earlier) and there are lots of us who don't want to go back to those days.

Fair enough. And Futa isn't going anywhere. He is our guy, if anyone is getting poached its Yannetti if we start hitting on draft picks again (I think we most certainly will, with our elite mgmt and due to the fact that they are in rebuild and aren't trading picks).

I was a meanie in my post to you, I apologize. My age question was wrong. And yes, that was my point about the dark ages of Kings hockey. But still wrong.

DL is the man for now. He gets a chance to rebuild this deal, it might... gasp... take a year or two (or even three). Let's see what he does.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I don't think Lombardi has gotten the memo that the league is going faster and younger. He has admitted his loyalty has gotten him in trouble with contracts and guys like Stoll and Mike Richards'...and yet, he re-hires Sutter as coach, a guy known for playing veterans.

If I was Lombardi, this summer, I would have given Payne or Stevens a shot, waived Brown, traded King, and inserted Mersch and Kempe into this line-up.

30 is the new 35 in the NHL and some of the Kings top players are from that 03 draft.

The Kings team last night looked identical to the Kings teams the past 4-5 years. There has been no make-over. We are stuck in 2012 and 2014, except everyone else is going younger and faster.

The Kings 3rd line when we won the Cup in 2012 was King-Stoll-Lewis...the 3rd line last night was King-Shore-Lewis...In 4 years we inserted one new player???? Jesus!

Last edited:

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Dean is the perfect GM for this team . His drafting and developing is the best we have ever had . I wouldnt want to see Dean go . Its his philosphy that needs to change , he needs to realize that the grinding heavy style is not going to work anymore when everyone is playing fast and uptempo with skill. They will just keep skating circles like they have been around our slow heavy players. If he leans towards drafting skill and speed and tweaking our system a little we will be back at the top of the NHL in no time . We have the right pieces in place but King , Clifford , Nolan , Lewis , Greene they already played their role and contributed to our team . They are dime a dozen players . King wouldnt crack most teams top 9 yet he is in our top 6 now .

We dont allow players with Kopitar and Carter skillset to be creative and bring their own excitement to the game . I bet if Matthews scored 4 goals for us and didnt dump the puck in and caused a turnover he would be benched in Sutters system.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
You guys do realize that Futa probably is making all the draft picks now, and probably has been for some time.

So he is also responsible, for the Kings poor drafting results over the last 4-5 years.

You do realize that right ?

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
I don't think Lombardi has gotten the memo that the league is going faster and younger. He has admitted his loyalty has gotten him in trouble with contracts and guys like Stoll and Mike Richards'...and yet, he re-hires Sutter as coach, a guy known for playing veterans.

If I was Lombardi, this summer, I would have given Payne or Stevens a shot, waived Brown, traded King, and inserted Mersch and Kempe into this line-up.

30 is the new 35 in the NHL and some of the Kings top players are from that 03 draft.

The Kings team last night looked identical to the Kings teams the past 4-5 years. There has been no make-over. We are stuck in 2012 and 2014, except everyone else is going younger and faster.

The Kings 3rd line when we won the Cup in 2012 was King-Stoll-Lewis...the 3rd line last night was King-Shore-Lewis...In 4 years we inserted one new player????

Wave Brown and eat that money? We already have Richards on the books, how much dead salary do you want to take on?

Stevens comes from the school of Sutter, what have you heard/seen from Stevens that tells you he offers a different game and style? And how do we implement this "new" Stevens' style with the whole Sutter philosophy that permeates from the minors to the big club?

We're gonna get younger and faster by holding onto our picks as mgmt starts its rebuild. There is no abra cadabra new coach new fast team and youth spell, brody.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Wave Brown and eat that money? We already have Richards on the books, how much dead salary do you want to take on?

Stevens comes from the school of Sutter, what have you heard/seen from Stevens that tells you he offers a different game and style? And how do we implement this style with the whole Sutter philosophy that permeates from the minors to the big club?

It's not a Sutter philosophy, this is what people don't understand about the system.

Terry Murray/Lombardi's system is largely still in place. There are only so many hockey systems teams can play.

Lombardi beilieves Hockey games are won a certain way. The Kings draft players to make the system.

The system doesn't make the players.

It would take Five to six years(or longer) for the Kings to play a different system, and draft the players needed to execute it.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
You guys do realize that Futa probably is making all the draft picks now, and probably has been for some time.

So he is also responsible, for the Kings poor drafting results over the last 4-5 years.

You do realize that right ?

You do realize we've traded most of our prospects and top draft picks recently as Dean has taken shot after shot for the cup?

Giving Futa nothing to work with.

You do realize this, right?

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
It's not a Sutter philosophy, this is what people don't understand about the system.

Terry Murray/Lombardi's system is largely still in place. There are only so many hockey systems teams can play.

Lombardi beilieves Hockey games are won a certain way. The Kings draft players to make the system.

The system doesn't make the players.

It would take Five to six years(or longer) for the Kings to play a different system, and draft the players needed to execute it.

True. It's a Sutter/Lombardi system (I almost put that in my post, I should have). And hell yeah it would take that long. I'm not sure very many people realize that.

That why I want to see what this regime can do for the next several years as they rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad