Line Combos: 2016-2017 Detroit Red Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

“The thing I’ve talked to AA about is he’s got to win puck battles. Ted Lindsay said to me two weeks ago, when we were preparing for preseason, said just tell those guys if they go in the corner with another guy and don’t come out with puck, they’re not a great hockey player.

“He used a different word.”

Loved this, haha

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Seems like Mr Lindsay and I have same way of evaluating players on some level. :laugh:

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Yemack I think the majority are referencing Red Wings news from the last 2 months. Holland and Blashill said they would give Larkin every opportunity to play C. We need him to be the man, there should be no turning back. Also the plan has been to play Nielsen with Z on wing, and Helm as the 3C. I'd be surprised to see if Athanasiou breaks up the 4th line- I thought the Wings stated they were also a sure thing? Anyways the rest of the forwards placement and D pairings is what most people have been speculating on.

I'm shaking my head because these arrangements might last 2 periods. :laugh:I know Blashill says he's learned and wants to build consistency, but I don't believe that guy can help himself! We will see many a strange shakeup to the lines, unfortunately including injuries.

well that lineup didnt last 1 practice so that's how useful talking about line combos are here. :laugh:

I know what the Wings organization had plans for. I knew Z was going to be on Wing and Larkin as 2C. I was just bouncing off ideas which I thought was going to add to the discussion.

Would I want Larkin in defensive zone last minute of the game after his line just iced the puck? Would I trust him to win the faceoff? I'm not sure. Some people here seem to think the growing pain is going to be minimal. Well I'm not sure how potentially losing games over those are worth it. Just my personal preference though. btw I didnt mean it like Larkin is not going to be 2C EVER this season. I was just talking about potential line combo idea for the NEXT game.

Last edited:

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
I don't know what specifically Vladdy84 was referencing from Duff's comments, but Duff did say that Ryan Suter's first choice was to sign with Detroit during the summer of 2012, but his then girlfriend (now wife) did not want to live in Detroit. Duff was referencing this as an example as to why Detroit is no longer an attractive option for free agents.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Frankly, I don't know how we look at the defensive group and we're not more outraged or mad. I think it is pathetic.

I have a very hard time understanding how we let it get that bad. You're telling me that is the best we can do?
It's bad but it's just beating a dead horse at this point... let's just see how much they get destroyed out there on the ice when the season starts. If they truly stink to the point that we're way out of a playoff spot, it should ring all the alarm bells Holland needs in order to make all the necessary arrangements to land us Trouba or Fowler. Or, at least we get to see Ouellet/Sproul and probably Russo and wait for the draft to finally get a top 10 pick.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I don't know what specifically Vladdy84 was referencing from Duff's comments, but Duff did say that Ryan Suter's first choice was to sign with Detroit during the summer of 2012, but his then girlfriend (now wife) did not want to live in Detroit. Duff was referencing this as an example as to why Detroit is no longer an attractive option for free agents.

If i'm not mistaken Suter's girlfriend/wife is from Minneapolis and wanted to be home. Heard that both her and Heatly convinced him to play for the Wild instead.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's bad but it's just beating a dead horse at this point... let's just see how much they get destroyed out there on the ice when the season starts. If they truly stink to the point that we're way out of a playoff spot, it should ring all the alarm bells Holland needs in order to make all the necessary arrangements to land us Trouba or Fowler. Or, at least we get to see Ouellet/Sproul and probably Russo and wait for the draft to finally get a top 10 pick.

I guess it looks noticeably worse without Kronwall in there, since I have been a big Kronwall fan for awhile now. :(

It's just frustrating to me.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If i'm not mistaken Suter's girlfriend/wife is from Minneapolis and wanted to be home. Heard that both her and Heatly convinced him to play for the Wild instead.

I still wonder how that is playing out for Suter. Yeah, happy wife = happy home, but how professionally rewarding is it playing for a franchise like Minny that, at least in my opinion, is unlikely to get over the hump during Suter's time there. He comes here, with Z & D still being very good players, Kronwall being healthy...maybe he's at least played for a cup by now.

I guess it looks noticeably worse without Kronwall in there, since I have been a big Kronwall fan for awhile now. :(

It's just frustrating to me.

Same here. Not seeing Kronwall there, or knowing that even if he's in there that he'll be hobbled a bit, doesn't give me a lot of confidence in this group. Especially when we see Ericsson still in there instead.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I guess it's understandable people have concerns on our D but let's not arrange funeral service for D before they even play 1 game this season.

As some of you have seen how they performed during preseason, I have no concern how they will perform in O zone. In D zone, I think it's kinda hard to make a definite verdict at this point. I think we attack the puck with little too much bodies leaving some crucial areas of ice bare but as season rolls along, the result will speak for themselves.

I have concern how much damage some other high flying teams will do against our D especially during their counter attack. One bad pinch, one missed guy on the other side, one missed pinch to intercept in neutral zone, and it's 2-1 or breakaway chance. It's a good entertainment for sure though. I expect FSD rating to go up a bit.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
That would only be true if he wasn't scoring etc etc. Of course he hasn't played any games yet. So lets wait and see.

Well at his cap hit he should be scoring more than sub-30 points a season.

I understand being optimistic, but there isn't much about Helm that inspires us with optimism, and to see players we find deserving not being given a fair shake twists the knife further.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Z-Larkin-Abby
Nike-Frans-Vanek
Tats-She-Helm
Miller-Glennie-Ott

I say trade Tats and Mantha and Pulkinen for D Bring up AA on third line with She and Helm

Deadly second line. I agree 100%.. Although, I would like to see z and tv on the ice together playing "no you've got the puck".. Pretty goals are a thing to behold

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Since we know the current lines and the season is starting, I'm locking this thread (it's getting closer to 1,000 posts anyway). I'm sure we'll make another similar thread soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad