Prospect Info: 2016 1st Round pick: 27th overall Brett Howden

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm shocked by this pick. A two way center with questions about his offensive upside, didn't see that coming.

Bandit Keith

Apr 5, 2016
Like the pick. Now that Point and Hunt are turning pro he will be given more responsibility and won't have to play second fiddle to anyone. Should have a big year next season.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Meh. We had two ways we could have gone this offseason: we could have gone with the youth movement a year early, flipping players we'd have had to lose next offseason anyway for picks and young prospects to prepare for the future, or we could keep the bulk of the team intact and go for one last Cup run before breaking up the band. It looks like when he couldn't move Bishop for an appropriate ransom that Yzerman decided to go with option B. That being the case it's not surprising that he didn't make more of a splash at the draft since doing so would have cost either quality veterans that we'll need for next season's run or quality prospects that we'll need to reload with in 2017. He might still look to move guys like Filppula and Condra and/or buy out Carle to create the cap space to go after some one-year UFAs, and it's always possible he makes a big trade to bring in another center, but other than that I don't think we'll see much action this summer.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Size and lack of points stood out to me immediately. We need size down the middle, not a fan of his average skating though. Good value at #27

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Many thought the Bolts would want to add some size, and they did with 6'2''/193 Howden. He's already one of the biggest centers in our organization.

Johnson - 5'10''
Filppula - 6'0''
Namestnikov - 6'0''
Boyle: 6'7''
Paquette: 6'1''

Richard - 5'11''
Point - 5'10''
Darcy - 6'0''
Peca - 5'9''
Stephens - 5'11''
Cirelli - 6'0''
Salminen - 6'3''

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Many thought the Bolts would want to add some size, and they did with 6'2''/193 Howden. He's already one of the biggest centers in our organization.

Johnson - 5'10''
Filppula - 6'0''
Namestnikov - 6'0''
Boyle: 6'7''
Paquette: 6'1''

Richard - 5'11''
Point - 5'10''
Darcy - 6'0''
Peca - 5'9''
Stephens - 5'11''
Cirelli - 6'0''
Salminen - 6'3''

There is no way in hell that either TJ or Vladdy is that tall.:laugh:

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
I was going off of BP. NHL.com has TJ at 5' 8" and Vladdy at 5' 11"

Not ripping you or anything - just laughing at the overexaggeration of these midgets' heights. That's probably right for TJ and I've seen Vladdy listed at 5'10" before which is probably closer to the truth.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Congrats! Another often under-rated player, who will probably make a lot of smiles for you guys in the future.
I think his ceiling his higher than most of the reports say.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I just hope he turns out better than his brother. His brother is not a bad player but he didn't turn out how you hoped from a 25th overall pick. Need that offense to emerge.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
Very, very intelligent player. I don't think his skating is poor, and I think his North-South skating is strong.

Really impressed with his intelligence in front of the net. It's always a coin flip, but he seems like he has a level head on his shoulders. I'm excited for him.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Not sure where the idea came from that he has poor skating. Everything I've read on him says that he is a speedy two way center with offensive upside and size. Safe pick but good pick.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Tampa is really liking and developing two way players, Coops system strives on it. If you don't play in both ends you won't play for Coop.

I'm glad we didn't pick a midget in the first round :sarcasm: 6'2 is better than 5'9 :laugh:

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I am disappointed if the Point connection was the deciding factor.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Like this puck. Even more so after watching Seer's video. Howden has size, does not have an issue going to the front of the net, and can finish. A few more pounds and some time at the next level should round out his game nicely to fit in with the organization.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
I like it , I think size is something we lack. Hopefully he will be a guy who wins those faceoffs in our end and battles along the boards with consistency.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Howden is a player that will need a few more years of junior to develop but he will continue to get better every year. He is good in all areas, nothing pops off the page per se but he doesn't have any glaring weaknesses. One thing I do know, is this kid has tons of character and has great leadership qualities. He captained Canada in the under 18 to Gold, and Point pumping his tires to TB was more than about just his play, this kid is a great kid and will do whatever it takes. Middle six centre is my guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad