2016-17 Women's College Basketball Thread

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Who was the last team to win before UConn? Was it Baylor in 2012 w/ Griner?

(upon further research it appears this is the correct answer)

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Virginia Tech upset some team the other day. Believe it was Tennessee.
Yeah, but Tennessee is a sad shell of their former selves. The sooner they get rid of Coach Warlick, the better. Pat Summitt must be rolling over in her grave.

I will bring this over from the other thread regarding the UConn Lady Huskies:

That was probably their last best chance to lose a game for a while. Just for **** and giggles I want to see how long this streak can go on. At the very least, I'd love to see them get 100 straight. Thanks to them being in the woefully weak AAC, I don't see why that won't happen.

Gotta give them credit....at least their non-conference schedule is loaded every year. As my man "Krisbryantisbest" would say, "everyone else needs to step up their game"

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
LOL. Why bother?

Women's basketball died when they let a UConn player (of course) come out on crutches to score a basket for some record. It's a club sport built on worship of one team and should no longer be treated seriously.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Thursday is the last chance for anybody in the regular season to beat the UConn lady huskies plays #4 Maryland. If UConn wins, they probably go the regular season undefeated. :(

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Thursday is the last chance for anybody in the regular season to beat the UConn lady huskies plays #4 Maryland. If UConn wins, they probably go the regular season undefeated. :(
Welp, They got a scare, but prevailed 87-81. This was win #87 in a row. The road to 100 in a row now begins. One possible obstacle is a game against South Carolina in February, but that game is in Connecticut. Barring something stunning, I can't see this team losing a game the rest of the way.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Welp, They got a scare, but prevailed 87-81. This was win #87 in a row. The road to 100 in a row now begins. One possible obstacle is a game against South Carolina in February, but that game is in Connecticut. Barring something stunning, I can't see this team losing a game the rest of the way.

So they beat the second, third, and fourth ranked teams by an avg. of over 9 pts.

zzzzzzzz

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Please join me in saying "Gratzky" to the incredible Lady Huskies & GOAT coach Auriemma on their breaking their own all-time NCAA win streak! They got #91 in a row today with a nail-biting 88-48 win over SMU.

The road to 100 is officially underway & that historic win would have to come at home against #5 South Carolina on Feb 13. Barring something beyond stunning, they should have clear sailing until then.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
With UConn's streak up to 93 after today's 100-56 rout of Tulane, to extend their ridiculous streak to 93, I am reminded of a quote from the "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" character Quark from the episode "Cardassians:"

"There's nothing quite so depressing as a winning streak that won't stop streaking."

When will it end? Please make it stop! :facepalm:

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Nothing says as a college you have to have basketball, you just have to replace it with another women's sport or eliminate another men's sport at the same time. Not sure how the public funding aspect of the rules work but that's another element. Obviously having a men's and a woman's team for a popular sport is just easier.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Nothing says as a college you have to have basketball, you just have to replace it with another women's sport or eliminate another men's sport at the same time. Not sure how the public funding aspect of the rules work but that's another element. Obviously having a men's and a woman's team for a popular sport is just easier.

Add to that the fact that WCBB is one of the (if not the) cheapest sport to have for Title IX purposes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad