2016-17 Season Ticket Cost

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
After a close to bottom of the league finish, Jwts decide to increase prices the full 3% increase. Once again exceeding inflation. But I guess when you have a wait list they don't care much about pricing people out of tickets for the time being.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Not unexpected due to the currency situation.

Bad optics though. Team nearly last in the NHL, lowest payroll in the league, prices going up as much as they can contractually raise them... But I get the reasons. Hopefully the dollar bounces back and we can get a discount! :laugh:

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Bad optics though. Team nearly last in the NHL, lowest payroll in the league, prices going up as much as they can contractually raise them... But I get the reasons. Hopefully the dollar bounces back and we can get a discount! :laugh:

They have gone up every year by 3% right? Have they really increased like 15% then?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Seriously.... after having to watch the worst NHL hockey in this city since, well for a very long time, they take another 3%. If I was the owner and I just finished a season where my team sucks balls... I might just be inclined to give everyone a break and not raise the prices just because I can.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
They have gone up every year by 3% right? Have they really increased like 15% then?

2016-17: 3%
2015-16: 3%
2014-15: 2.5%
2013-14: 2%
2012-13: 3%

So an effective 14.24% increase since relocation. Core inflation from 2011-2015 has been 8.92%, so the increase has been 5.32% in real dollars.

I'm not defending the increase, but I don't see any surprise. The TPA allows a 3% increase, and any season ticket holder should expect that.

Last edited:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

That would be closer to 16% but no. One season the increase was 2% and one it was 2.5%. So in total the costs have gone up 14.2% since the first season.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
2013-14: 3%

So a 14.5% increase since relocation. Core inflation from 2011-2015 has been 8.625%, so the increase has been 5.875% in real dollars.

I'm not defending the increase, but I don't see any surprise. The TPA allows a 3% increase, and any season ticket holder should expect that.

13-14 was 2%

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
2013-14: 3%

So a 14.5% increase since relocation. Core inflation from 2011-2015 has been 8.625%, so the increase has been 5.875% in real dollars.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the total percentage increase is actually quite a bit higher because isn't the 3% or 2.5% , compounded? Just like you earning interest in a bank.

So after year 1 the Jets added on 3%, but after year 2 they added on another 3%, BUT that would include the 3% value that was added in year 1, and so on...

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the total percentage increase is actually quite a bit higher because isn't the 3% or 2.5% , compounded? Just like you earning interest in a bank.

So after year 1 the Jets added on 3%, but after year 2 they added on another 3%, BUT that would include the 3% value that was added in year 1, and so on...

Yes. As I posted above the total compounded increase is 14.2%

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013

Yeah you're right, I'm not having a good math day - those were annualized percentages. The actual effective dollar increase from year 1 to today is 14.24%. The actual effective core inflation increase from 2011 to 2015 is 8.92%. The actual net increase is 5.32% from year 1.

Unruhch

Oct 20, 2013
Charging an extra 3% is effectively adding the cost of one more game to the equation. I think an avg game revenue is around 1.5mil when the building is full, so really I'm not surprised - would just love an earmark for the funds like "we are buying out pavs with this money" No one would complain then!

More so, I would prefer they play exhibition games elsewhere and not force the purchase of 4 home games as well if they're going up 3%. Overall it's a tough pill to swallow after a season of underachievment and combined with being so low budget but a high cost to ticket buyers. But you have to take the good with the bad. I am not going to stress over it. Maybe just purposefully spend less at the arena in a super silent protest.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
After a close to bottom of the league finish, Jwts decide to increase prices the full 3% increase. Once again exceeding inflation. But I guess when you have a wait list they don't care much about pricing people out of tickets for the time being.

You realize there is intense pressure from the league to increase revenue don't you? Why would you exoect anything less, especially with a falling dollar? Or do you still have a few naive bones in your body?

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
You realize there is intense pressure from the league to increase revenue don't you? Why would you exoect anything less, especially with a falling dollar? Or do you still have a few naive bones in your body?

The dollar isn't falling. It's the highest it's been since October and has gained 9 cents since January. And I never said I expected anything less.

if you think the team can continue to increase prices in excess of inflation with no eventual consequences, you're the naive one.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
The dollar isn't falling. It's the highest it's been since October.

Year over year it's been falling, but regardless there is pressure from the league on every team to increase revenue. If you thought ticket prices would be flat you are not in touch with reality.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I can accept TNSE trying to maximize revenues and happily renewed my ST. Agreed by now any hedging their money in US dollars would have run its course and the are feeling the full brunt of the Canadian dollar's decline. I suspect they have enjoyed some profit taking this year by keeping the pay roll as low as possible. With the coming salary increases to Buff, Scheif and Trouba and more following I imagine a few years of breaking even until they develop into a contender is probably the most they can hope for. I just hope people are willing to keep paying for the product, because if they stop we will never see it live again.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I am sure they only needed to raise prices to pay for all the re-renovations after the loge seats were installed last summer. Lots of repair work to be done upstairs.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria

You realize there are still those that aren't fools so easily parted with their dollars. As a consumer you shouldn't find ways to give away more of your money and reasons to justify it. And to call that person naive of all things.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
You realize there are still those that aren't fools so easily parted with their dollars. As a consumer you shouldn't find ways to give away more of your money and reasons to justify it. And to call that person naive of all things.

Did they not tell you prices would rise 3% every year when this all started?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Nope they didn't. And prices haven't raised 3% every year.

That's what I expected when I first saw the contracts. I will throw out a wild guess that ticket prices next season will also rise. Just maybe it coulld possibly be a 3% increase.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I bet the Leafs are cutting ticket prices because they're also at the bottom of the standings, but their front office is filled with geniuses, not bumbling scaredy-cat fools.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The dollar isn't falling. It's the highest it's been since October and has gained 9 cents since January. And I never said I expected anything less.

if you think the team can continue to increase prices in excess of inflation with no eventual consequences, you're the naive one.

Gotta make up for those lost revenues this year somehow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad