Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXII | Only 75 shopping days left till the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think you need more than 1 front net guy on the PP because it's so taxing on the body that you really need to rotate guys in and out from powerplay to powerplay, or game to game.

Bertuzzi played that role for like 3 years straight and then his back gave out and he couldn't do it any more. Holmstrom was kind of an anomaly.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think you need more than 1 front net guy on the PP because it's so taxing on the body that you really need to rotate guys in and out from powerplay to powerplay, or game to game.

Bertuzzi played that role for like 3 years straight and then his back gave out and he couldn't do it any more. Holmstrom was kind of an anomaly.

I feel like Sundqvist could come up and be a backup net front guy for us.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Maybe Cole. The draft is going to necessitate that we lose someone pretty valuable, and this deal would make it easier to go with 7F and 3D.

As much as I like Horny, he's only signed for a year after this one, and we should be wary about giving him a big money extension. Landeskog would take care of that.

It's creating a hole in the top 4 for what is arguably a luxury, a hole that they don't have a real internal solution for and that's assuming Maatta and Schultz maintain their play. 4x4 is still an option and could very well be the best thing to go with to protect the most necessary and valuable assets.

Being leery of Hornqvist's next contract is still better than creating a hole on defense. I'd be more intrigued if it was Duchene but it still creates a serious problem. It's either a hole in the defense or parting with what would probably be some good assets to get another top 4 D to replace Dumoulin, or we re-sign Daley which I don't want.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
My worry about adding another top end wing is that you end up getting less than their full value when they can't play on the powerplay. Lando is a 45ish point ES player.

If Horny were dealt, there'd be a spot for Landeskog on the top PP.

That may go up a bit here, but is it enough to be worth paying him what he costs and downgrading our defense?

I dunno. It'd secure our wing situation though Sid and Geno's best years.

It's creating a hole in the top 4 for what is arguably a luxury, a hole that they don't have a real internal solution for and that's assuming Maatta and Schultz maintain their play. 4x4 is still an option and could very well be the best thing to go with to protect the most necessary and valuable assets.

Being leery of Hornqvist's next contract is still better than creating a hole on defense. I'd be more intrigued if it was Duchene but it still creates a serious problem. It's either a hole in the defense or parting with what would probably be some good assets to get another top 4 D to replace Dumoulin, or we re-sign Daley which I don't want.

It could be. It basically comes down to whether Dumo/Maatta is more valuable to this team than Hagelin/Horny. I don't know the answer to that, but that'll probably become clearer as we get closer to the draft.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
trading Horny in the deal makes more sense than Guentzel. I still don't know that I like trading from a weakness at D for a strength at F. Especially if we're replacing arguably our 2nd best wing anyway. The only reason it makes any sense is if we think we will be losing one of these guys in the expansion draft anyway imo.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If Horny were dealt, there'd be a spot for Landeskog on the top PP.

I dunno. It'd secure our wing situation though Sid and Geno's best years.

It could be. It basically comes down to whether Dumo/Maatta is more valuable to this team than Hagelin/Horny. I don't know the answer to that, but that'll probably become clearer as we get closer to the draft.

Eh, they're definitely both more valuable than Hagelin but it's more complicated with Hornqvist. I don't consider that a problem; it's also a question of what's cheaper to bribe Vegas to leave alone. Young top 4 defensemen, 1 of which is signed long term and the other is still a RFA, or a slightly overpaid tweener that fits our team really well but had problems in Anaheim? Obviously it's not just Hagelin that they could take and that the Pens would have to think about, but I pick Maatta/Dumoulin over Hagelin easily.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Right now the defencemen look more valuable every day of the week to me. We've got two young wingers who are potentially NHL ready next season waiting; we have next to nuffink waiting to replace our defencemen.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think Hags is getting underrated here. His arrival solidified our "speed" identity, and his two-way versatility improves our PK and any line he's on.

The Rags thought he'd be easily replaced too. He wasn't.

I'm not saying he's necessarily more valuable than Dumo/Maatta, but I believe it's close enough to make it a tough decision. Then again, players' stock fluctuates pretty wildly around here. Maatta was persona non grata not too long ago.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think Hags is getting underrated here. His arrival solidified our "speed" identity, and his two-way versatility improves our PK and any line he's on.

I'm not saying he's necessarily more valuable than Dumo/Maatta, but I believe it's close enough to make it a tough decision. Then again, players' stock fluctuates pretty wildly around here. Maatta was persona non grata not too long ago.

I think as well as he fits, he's still a tweener winger and that's always going to be less valuable than a top 4 D. This is also a team that needs PMDs as well, they have increased value for this team just like Hagelin does. Adding Daley was huge last season and having Schultz has been huge this season; we know what happens when the defense can't move the puck and we know how fragile Letang is. I'd rather keep him than lose him, but I'd rather keep the top 4 defensemen more. They have Rust now and Guentzel in the AHL whereas the D replacement is Cole. I want to bribe Vegas more than anything but if it came down to it I'm guaranteeing the top 4 is set.

I didn't do the "trade Maatta for a 7th!!!!!!! Bad contract!!!!" freakout.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Hags should be kept if at all possible for sure.

Maatta has definitely impressed me this year. And DP disappointing really changes my opinion on our ability to move Maatta.

As a team in short term contention, I would have no problem with us overpaying Vegas on a bribe in terms of a draft pick if it keeps our key players here now. I'd rather give away our presumably late first and lose Fehr than lose any of Hags, Horny, Rust, Dumo, Maatta, Sundqvist, or Schultz right now.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't want to lose Hagelin. He's a pretty useful guy.

But I really don't want to lose our top 4. Assuming these guys are considered top 4 at the end of the season, which seems fairly safe.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Comparing the worth of both Hags/Hornqvist is near impossible. Hags, at his absolute worst, is giving us a great forecheck/backcheck. Hornqivst, at his worst, is still our best net-front guy that we desperately needed for years.

Unless you can come up with a plan to replace what they do, they shouldn't be moved. WC is the only one who at least brought an idea to the table that would replace one of them, even though it's highly unlikely.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
We're just going to have to bribe LV, it's as simple as that. I'd go as high as a second round pick plus a non-essential prospect for draft assurances.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
We're just going to have to bribe LV, it's as simple as that. I'd go as high as a second round pick plus a non-essential prospect for draft assurances.

I posted something before about trading Dumoulin (plus something small) for Mantha and Smith. Mantha with Sid would be great and add to a powerful forward group. Smith can still be serviceable in the top 4 (and I think Detroit are looking to move him and they want young D). Or a similar type deal with another team.

We can protect Schultz and won't need to spend any assets in bribing. I'd say one of Bonino, Daley or Smith get signed by Vegas.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Maybe Cole. The draft is going to necessitate that we lose someone pretty valuable, and this deal would make it easier to go with 7F and 3D.

As much as I like Horny, he's only signed for a year after this one, and we should be wary about giving him a big money extension. Landeskog would take care of that.

You must value Dumo less than I do. We have no replacement for him. He's really valuable.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You must value Dumo less than I do. We have no replacement for him. He's really valuable.

I think a part of his thinking is that we may lose one of our D-men or a guy like Hags/Horny in the expansion draft anyway. Trading Maatta or Dumo would be an option to avoid that without resorting to a bribe by replacing the 4th D with a 7th F. If we don't think we can bribe Vegas away from taking one of those guys, then I guess a move like this could make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad