GDT: 2016-17 NHL Playoffs Thread - III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
They need to do something about the constant diving league wide. Suspensions? It's going to require replay

A 5k fine isn't **** compared to winning games.

As for on the ice, they would need a 5th official who can watch replay and overrule penalties. But seeing how people react to the offsides reviews, they'll just complain about that.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
They need to do something about the constant diving league wide. Suspensions? It's going to require replay

I would love to see a penalty called just for the embellishment. It's always a penalty and then the embellishment...

Increase the fines...have players suspended for repeat infractions..its embarrassing and some organizations do not discourage diving and embellishment:rant:

wandk128

Oct 14, 2008
Agree with both of you! But I'm sure the league thinks things are fine as-is. Like the extra point that magically appears for OT.

Lucic got 1. Now Mcdavid buried 1

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

There could be a retroactive suspension of a player. For example, the league could review Bonino's embellishment in tonight's game and hand him a one-game (or two-game) suspension.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
There could be a retroactive suspension of a player. For example, the league could review Bonino's embellishment in tonight's game and hand him a one-game (or two-game) suspension.

No way they ever get the NHLPA to agree to that

wandk128

Oct 14, 2008
Crackdown on embellishments are right below a 3-2-1 point system on my wish list.

Ducks decided to show up for the 2nd period. AWFUL awareness by #1 pick RNH there

Ducks just had a heck of an embellishment there

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I'll be the voce of the benefit of the doubt.

Human instinct is to flinch when a dangerous object approaches the face. So it's possible Bonino wasn't deliberately embellishing.

The ref that made the call was behind the play. He saw a head snap back and a high stick, and Oshie went right to the box without protesting. He called a penalty.

I watched the NBA do a review tonight to see if a foul was flagrant (it wasn't).

The NHL has botched the review process, so the last thing it needs is more reviewable plays.

But in an ideal world, that play gets reviewed, and within 20 - 30 seconds, the right call is made.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Yeah, refs making big names for themselves late in games all playoffs

The Hajj

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
Boise, Idaho
Yeah, refs making big names for themselves late in games all playoffs

Absolutely horrible officiating tonight. Oshie never touched the Pitt player and was called for high sticking late in their game. Vermette played the puck with his hand after the Oiler won the face off and the puck bounced off the linesman's skate. NHL needs to address this issue soon.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'll be the voce of the benefit of the doubt.

Human instinct is to flinch when a dangerous object approaches the face. So it's possible Bonino wasn't deliberately embellishing.

The ref that made the call was behind the play. He saw a head snap back and a high stick, and Oshie went right to the box without protesting. He called a penalty.

I watched the NBA do a review tonight to see if a foul was flagrant (it wasn't).

The NHL has botched the review process, so the last thing it needs is more reviewable plays.

But in an ideal world, that play gets reviewed, and within 20 - 30 seconds, the right call is made.

Oshie went to the box because he probably thought he had clipped Bonino.

Your benefit of the doubt analysis does nothing to explain the awful call on Carlson and embellishment by Wilson that put the Pens on the PP for the GWG.

As Pia said, refs far too visible for my liking in these playoffs, particularly late in the 3rd and OT. They need to realize they are there to manage the game, not influence the outcome with questionable calls.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Oshie went to the box because he probably thought he had clipped Bonino.

Your benefit of the doubt analysis does nothing to explain the awful call on Carlson and embellishment by Wilson that put the Pens on the PP for the GWG.

As Pia said, refs far too visible for my liking in these playoffs, particularly late in the 3rd and OT. They need to realize they are there to manage the game, not influence the outcome with questionable calls.

exactly. I can`t recall this game being in such a state of despair when it comes to the refs. There will always be games that we can point to where a call was missed or made when it shouldn`t have been but this is just getting ridiculous.

I don`t have a horse in the race for the playoffs, simply a fan watching the game with no emotional ties which usually allows for me to watch/assess without having bias and it`s disgusting right now

hear alot of chatter about the "selling" of the NHL game, this isn`t the way to do it IMO

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
My feelings on OV not being a playoff performer (at least performing far below his RS standards) are very basic:

His game is based off of his constant intensity, rather than his skill, speed, or finesse as many mistakenly believe. His intensity level is higher than pretty much anyone during the regular season, but when playoff hockey starts and other players give all they have, he simply isn't the "star" he is during the regular season.

You look at a guy like Crosby, and the intelligence with which he sees the game, and I don't see any of that in Ovechkin. As big as that rivalry is, and as much as the league wants to sell it, I barely find Crosby and Ovechkin to be comparable during the postseason.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
My feelings on OV not being a playoff performer (at least performing far below his RS standards) are very basic:

His game is based off of his constant intensity, rather than his skill, speed, or finesse as many mistakenly believe. His intensity level is higher than pretty much anyone during the regular season, but when playoff hockey starts and other players give all they have, he simply isn't the "star" he is during the regular season.

You look at a guy like Crosby, and the intelligence with which he sees the game, and I don't see any of that in Ovechkin. As big as that rivalry is, and as much as the league wants to sell it, I barely find Crosby and Ovechkin to be comparable during the postseason.

They are completely different players. OV hits and shoots. Crosby is a 3 zone player who can play in all situations. He's better equipped to succeed, because he can do more. Same with Malkin.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
They are completely different players. OV hits and shoots. Crosby is a 3 zone player who can play in all situations. He's better equipped to succeed, because he can do more. Same with Malkin.

I think Sid is better suited to succeed because he`s the ultimate team player and for as much as it pains me to say it, the guy just raises his game more often than not when it`s all on the line. I`ve never been able to say that about Ovi who is more likely to go MIA than to get noticed when needed the most

His (Ovi) body language is putrid

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I think Sid is better suited to succeed because he`s the ultimate team player and for as much as it pains me to say it, the guy just raises his game more often than not when it`s all on the line. I`ve never been able to say that about Ovi who is more likely to go MIA than to get noticed when needed the most

His (Ovi) body language is putrid

Crosby, being a center who's a great passer is going to get more out of his teammates. Ovechkin needs someone to get him the puck, he had what - 2 shots on goal last night?

Ovechkin isn't going to create his own offense, Crosby/Malkin are guys who can.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Crosby, being a center who's a great passer is going to get more out of his teammates. Ovechkin needs someone to get him the puck, he had what - 2 shots on goal last night?

Ovechkin isn't going to create his own offense, Crosby/Malkin are guys who can.

Understanding of course that C-man will most likely handle and create far more than a winger, you can`t seriously say that a player with Ovi`s talents who repeatedly has had opportunities on a big stage to elevate his game and has blown it can`t bring more?

A guy like that, winger be dam**d, should be the focal point of the offence, but even when he`s got the puck on his stick, either vs the Pens or the Leafs, other than in a shooting position, he`s shown no guts, not willing to fight for space, not doing the little things that separate the good players from the great one`s

If I`m Leonsis or however you spell his name, I`d be sick of watching this year in and out and now what were seeing is a decline in his regular season numbers, I`d look at moving him, Caps will be practically dismantled at the end of this year anyways

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Understanding of course that C-man will most likely handle and create far more than a winger, you can`t seriously say that a player with Ovi`s talents who repeatedly has had opportunities on a big stage to elevate his game and has blown it can`t bring more?

A guy like that, winger be dam**d, should be the focal point of the offence, but even when he`s got the puck on his stick, either vs the Pens or the Leafs, other than in a shooting position, he`s shown no guts, not willing to fight for space, not doing the little things that separate the good players from the great one`s

If I`m Leonsis or however you spell his name, I`d be sick of watching this year in and out and now what were seeing is a decline in his regular season numbers, I`d look at moving him, Caps will be practically dismantled at the end of this year anyways

I'm not saying that at all, he surely can do more. I just think his game is more one dimensional, he has a tremendous shot and can hit. Crosby has more tools, so he can do more and has the ability to elevate his teammates.

While it's an Ovechkin problem, I think it's a Capitals problem also. I haven't seen any of the stars elevate. Not Holtby, Oshie, Carlson...Also, Boudreau and Trotz don't exactly have a reputation for playoff success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad