Straka, Petr
Twarynski, Carson
Weal, Jordan
Willcox, Reece
Vasiliev, Valeri

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I have added positions for each of the top 15. Let me know if anyone thinks they are inaccurate in any way.

For instance I list Konecny only as RW even though he has played some C and LW, because he played RW predominantly last season.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
2nd vote for Cooper Marody here

His .75 PPG was 18th in the NCAA for Freshman and was higher than recent 1st round pick Jack Roslovic's .72 PPG.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
2nd vote for Cooper Marody here

His .75 PPG was 18th in the NCAA for Freshman and was higher than recent 1st round pick Jack Roslovic's .72 PPG.

Roslovic also lead his team in scoring with 26 points while Marody was 8th on his team with 24 (Kyle Connor lead with 71). Michigan scored 180 goals compared to Miami of Ohio who scored 86. Using points or even PPG is really tough when comparing players in difference conferences in the NCAA.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Roslovic also lead his team in scoring with 26 points while Marody was 8th on his team with 24 (Kyle Connor lead with 71). Michigan scored 180 goals compared to Miami of Ohio who scored 86. Using points or even PPG is really tough when comparing players in difference conferences in the NCAA.

Wasn't saying Marody was a better prospect. I'm just saying his production was good for a freshman and that he is our 16th best prospect lol.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Voted Kase. The kid is going to be a very good player when he matures a bit. The Czechs make him captain of all the national teams he plays on for a reason. He'll be our Cody Eakin. Small, fast, smart, resourceful, skilled, gritty - good checker with scoring upside.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'm curiously keeping an eye on Kase. Coach's kid with a big heart and skill in the offensive zone. I just don't know if his lack of size will cost him like Jesper Pettersson.

Similarly, I can't wait to see how Laczynski performs as an NCAA freshman and Marody as a sophomore.

These guys carry a spark of hope for pretty late round picks.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Voted Kase. The kid is going to be a very good player when he matures a bit. The Czechs make him captain of all the national teams he plays on for a reason. He'll be our Cody Eakin. Small, fast, smart, resourceful, skilled, gritty - good checker with scoring upside.

Kase is my next pick for sure. He would be top 10 in most organizations.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I voted Martel. I understand his size issues, but his skating/skill package is there and he just led the Phantoms in scoring and finished 4th in points in his rookie year. That's nothing to sniff at.

Lyubimov I just can't personally vote for, though I'm excited for him. He was the same age as Raffl when he came over. He's a soon to be 25 free agent out of the KHL. I just don't consider him a "prospect."

I also feel like I'd give emphasis to a few guys like Martel and Marody (those two especially) and maybe Bardreau and Kase before diving into the late picks this year. But Hogberg would be my top guy then. I think he could have a meteoric rise, but he hasn't yet to displace older successful players.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I voted Martel. I understand his size issues, but his skating/skill package is there and he just led the Phantoms in scoring and finished 4th in points in his rookie year. That's nothing to sniff at.

Lyubimov I just can't personally vote for, though I'm excited for him. He was the same age as Raffl when he came over. He's a soon to be 25 free agent out of the KHL. I just don't consider him a "prospect."

I also feel like I'd give emphasis to a few guys like Martel and Marody (those two especially) and maybe Bardreau and Kase before diving into the late picks this year. But Hogberg would be my top guy then. I think he could have a meteoric rise, but he hasn't yet to displace older successful players.

I have always come away impressed with Martel. I keep expecting his size to hold him back at each level and it hasn't yet. That said, being so diminutive at the NHL level will REALLY reduce the odds that he has a succesful career. Who knows though, he could be the next Brian Gionta for all we know.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I have always come away impressed with Martel. I keep expecting his size to hold him back at each level and it hasn't yet. That said, being so diminutive at the NHL level will REALLY reduce the odds that he has a succesful career. Who knows though, he could be the next Brian Gionta for all we know.

That's the boom/bust to him. If he was 6', he'd probably have been drafted and would be higher up on some list. I get it. But to have Hogberg, who hasn't even turned 18 yet, who two months ago wasn't even ranked by many major scouting services and who pretty much no one had heard of above a Phantoms rookie who led the team in goals and finished 4th among all AHL rookies...I don't know. Or Marody who had a dynamite USHL draft year and then a very good collegiate year on Michigan's third line.

I absolutely love the Hogberg pick and he's my favorite pick outside the top 2 rounds this year, but placing him before some guys like this feels rushed.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Crazy that we are on the 16th prospect, have goalies excluded, and there are STILL guys on here that will be at the WJC.

Depth.

:nod:

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I went with Marody too, but not real solid on it.

I'd say if the Flyers get any kind of career out of anywhere left in this pool it'll be great, if they turned out to be a Ryan White or Brandon Manning it'll be a success.

I think guys like Marody, Kase, Martel have the potential to be a bit more, as well as some others. However, it seems the organization is now trending away from smaller players, so when they're competing for bottom 6 jobs with bigger guys like Weise and these 6-1, 6-2, 200-pound guys they just drafted like Allison and Twarynski, they're going to have a tough time.

Like, if they wanted to stock the team up with undersized scorers, DeBrincat was definitely the way to go in this draft, considering how many picks they had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad