Twarynski, Carson
Vorobyov, Mikhail
Weal, Jordan
Willcox, Reece
Vasiliev, Valeri

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Vorobyov finally... Then Hogberg. To get a SHL look at a young age is impressive.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Vorobyov finally... Then Hogberg. To get a SHL look at a young age is impressive.

For me Högberg will have to wait a bit. I mean, it is impressive that his team think highly enough of him (as a late birthday too) to put him in the SHL squad for next year, and I though he should have gone a round or so higher in the draft... but some of the guys left have a not dissimilar ceiling relative to their position and are further along in development.

The hardest bit for me is ranking guys like Lyubimov, Alt, Bardreau, Martel & Weal... none have realistic ceilings more than 3rd liners/bottom pairing Dmen... but are already on the cusp of the level of ability needed to play in the NHL. Gauging that against the potential of guys who could legitimately be slightly better but are not as far along the pathway is tough...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I went with Vorobyov just ahead of Leier, but I also have Lyubimov close behind. The Flyers didn't have much cap space, but Hextall thought enough of him after the World Champs to sign him instead of going with a cheaper NHL veteran.

Raffl, Bellemare, Medvedev and now Lyubimov. That's a pretty good track record for European free agents over the past four years, even though Medvedev didn't end up panning out. I think the transition should be easier for a forward.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
After Leier next for me this is where I feel it gets really tough...

you have a few groups of different kinds of player at different points in development that mean is hard to gauge them against each other:

Lyubimov, Alt, Bardreau, Martel, Straka & Weal: Older prospects who while not blessed with great ceilings are closer to the NHL. Straka is clear last for me in this group... but after that decided hard to say. Lyubimov probably highest of them.

Fazleev, Marody, Kase: All project as pretty similar level players (3rd line) and have all had that extra bit of development where they have had success to a degree. Fazleev is 1st in this group... Marody 2nd... Kase 3rd.

Dove-McFalls: Year ruined by injury... for sure after three guys in group above... but where does he slot amongst say Bunnaman & Salinitri?

Laczynski, Twarynski, Högberg, Bernhardt, Bunnaman, Salinitri: Only just drafted... Laczynski does have the extra USHL year which was very impressive+this NJEC where he has impressed to separate himself a bit... and Salinitri is probably last amongst this group, but others harder to order.

Goulbourne, Willcox: Pretty low ceilings (4W & 6D), but closer to NHL than many of the prospects with say ~3rd line/#5 ceilings.

Drake, Amorosa: Guys with likely AHL ceilings.

Pettersson, Vasiliev: Pretty much non-prospects at this point unless something changes very quickly.

It is pretty easy for me to make orders of guys within those actual groups... but hard to decide where they are when groupings slotted together.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
After Leier next for me this is where I feel it gets really tough...

you have a few groups of different kinds of player at different points in development that mean is hard to gauge them against each other:

Lyubimov, Alt, Bardreau, Martel, Straka & Weal: Older prospects who while not blessed with great ceilings are closer to the NHL. Straka is clear last for me in this group... but after that decided hard to say. Lyubimov probably highest of them.

Fazleev, Marody, Kase: All project as pretty similar level players (3rd line) and have all had that extra bit of development where they have had success to a degree. Fazleev is 1st in this group... Marody 2nd... Kase 3rd.

Dove-McFalls: Year ruined by injury... for sure after three guys in group above... but where does he slot amongst say Bunnaman & Salinitri?

Laczynski, Twarynski, Högberg, Bernhardt, Bunnaman, Salinitri: Only just drafted... Laczynski does have the extra USHL year which was very impressive+this NJEC where he has impressed to separate himself a bit... and Salinitri is probably last amongst this group, but others harder to order.

Goulbourne, Willcox: Pretty low ceilings (4W & 6D), but closer to NHL than many of the prospects with say ~3rd line/#5 ceilings.

Drake, Amorosa: Guys with likely AHL ceilings.

Pettersson, Vasiliev: Pretty much non-prospects at this point unless something changes very quickly.

It is pretty easy for me to make orders of guys within those actual groups... but hard to decide where they are when groupings slotted together.

I might like Bardreau the best of that group. He's a really good AHL player, has leadership qualities, and looks very versatile as he is a gritty player but can skate and has some decent hands/skill. I like his chances to be a utility 3rd\4th line type.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't see a big difference between Leier & Bardreau at this point personally. Leier's a little bit younger but Bardreau had that setback with the neck injury that very likely costed him getting drafted in 2013.

He was dealing with an injury to start the year but he really came on in the second half. The games I watched during that time he was really impressive. He was flying around doing whatever he could to make an impact. He's also a versatile player as he can play all three forward spots if needed.

I think both will contend for spots this year & possibly be call-up's.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I don't see a big difference between Leier & Bardreau at this point personally. Leier's a little bit younger but Bardreau had that setback with the neck injury that very likely costed him getting drafted in 2013.

He was dealing with an injury to start the year but he really came on in the second half. The games I watched during that time he was really impressive. He was flying around doing whatever he could to make an impact. He's also a versatile player as he can play all three forward spots if needed.

I think both will contend for spots this year & possibly be call-up's.

I agree. I like the makings of a Bardreau - Leier 4th line in the years to come. Good speed with good IQ and some skill

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Vorobyov is on a tier by himself in this pool.

Add me to the list of people with a separation between Bardreau/Lyubimov and Weal/Alt/Straka/Martel.

I think I'd have Fazleev between the two groups as well. The upside is certainly not huge, but I feel he has a much higher chance to play 100 NHL games than a Weal type.

I would guess Laczynski and Bunnaman are the most likely remaining to jump up a tier or two by this time next year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Alt, Straka, & Weal aren't prospects to me. I see them more as AHLers to this point (spares at the NHL level). Weal should get a bit of shot to prove otherwise but the other two I doubt that happens & rightfully so.

Martel still has time on his side as a 21 year older so I don't like including him with those guys right now.

Lyubimov is kind of a tough answer here. I want to call him a prospect but I feel like he's going to be getting a real good shot at making the team this camp. He's also at that age where you're going to know if something is there or not pretty quickly. It's kind of similar to Raffl a few years ago.

Alt, Amorosa, Drake, Pettersson, Straka, Vasiliev, & Weal are guys here that I don't really think anything of personally.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Voted Leier. If he continues to work hard and steadily improve like he's been doing, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the roster by season's end.
Alt, Straka, & Weal aren't prospects to me. I see them more as AHLers to this point (spares at the NHL level). Weal should get a bit of shot to prove otherwise but the other two I doubt that happens & rightfully so.
Agreed. They either play in the NHL or hit waivers.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I use 25 as the cutoff age so Alt, Weal and Straka will be off the list next year. Lyubimov too. They may all be out of the organization next season anyway.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Went with Leier. Always thought highly of him, voted him decently high last year. We learned this year from the Pens that speed kills, and he's got that.

I'm excited about the prospect of Vorobyov being a good player, but I just don't know much about him. I will probably default to him next pick though...if he's still there.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I think Leier is the player most likely to have a 5-year+ NHL career.

Considering where he was drafted and how deep we are into the system, that's a pretty big deal. There are others with more upside though. His ceiling is probably a Darren Helm type player.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Went with Leier. Always thought highly of him, voted him decently high last year. We learned this year from the Pens that speed kills, and he's got that.

Is Leier's speed really that good? I've honestly never been that impressed with it. It seems average to me, especially for a smaller guy.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Is Leier's speed really that good? I've honestly never been that impressed with it. It seems average to me, especially for a smaller guy.

I would describe him as a plus skater based on the games I have seen him play. Hes also a player that commits to each and every shift.

Last edited:

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
Distinct drop off after 12. Add in Stolarz and Hart, and you've got 14 guys who will probably be NHL players. Impressive.

And with the league expanding, guys like Leier, Alt, and Weal will get better shots at playing (unfortunately). Maybe.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey

I would describe him as a plus skater based on the games I have seen him play. Hes also a player that commits to each and evert shift.

Right ^

Relatively speaking, he's probably got good speed. Wouldn't really stand out leaguewide...but he'd be one of the top 3 skaters on the Flyers if he was up. Plus that hard work and grit thing, that takes you places in this city.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad