2016-17 Blues Discussion Thread Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Quoting Brian from the previous thread:

Brian39 said:
Devil's advocate: They are currently playing Petro on the left for Team Canada while J-Bo is a healthy scratch. They might not think J-Bo is incapable of being a #1 LHD, but I don't think it is at all hypocritical to think that they believe Petro is a better #1 LHD.
Bouwmeester is playing, though. Muzzin is the scratch.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Quoting Brian from the previous thread:

Bouwmeester is playing, though. Muzzin is the scratch.

Yup, for some reason I thought I saw Muzzin out there in the 10 or so minutes I watched of the Canada/Czech game. No clue how I got that in my head.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Parayko needs a long term extension like... yesterday. His play for the young guns has been stellar.

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
Parayko needs a long term extension like... yesterday. His play for the young guns has been stellar.

Too much value for the Blues in his current deal. I doubt they're in a rush. He's going to paid good and long term when the time is right.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If I'm Parayko, there isn't much value in extending now, he should definitely bet on himself and wait longer.

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
I don't exactly understand your point here

He's getting paid on a cheap contract by the Blues, and they have control over that for a little while. Meanwhile, Parayko will most likely improve his value. An extension now doesn't make sense, but it's definitely happening when the time is right.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
He's getting paid on a cheap contract by the Blues, and they have control over that for a little while. Meanwhile, Parayko will most likely improve his value. An extension now doesn't make sense, but it's definitely happening when the time is right.

I still don't think I understand. The next contract doesn't kick in until this one ends

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

If the Blues bet on Parayko and got him for 5m or less for 6-8 yrs. You do that every single time

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011

Getting a defenseman like Parayko on a long-term contract around 5m is a huge help. If the Blues think he's a keeper, they *need* to keep his cost down in the long term, otherwise you run into a Subban situation where the player ruins your salary structure after a bridge contract.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Parayko's contract ends after this season...he is then a RFA.

We had a long thread on whether DA should have extended him at the end of last season and, to my recollection, the votes were about even both ways.

His price will go up with another good season.

DA might have decided to attempt a Klingberg-like deal...he hasn't yet. Let's hope he gets it done on reasonable terms.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I was thinking he had one more year. I take back what I said. I hope they work something out soon.

I was hoping that DA would already have worked it out....would have thought it should have been top priority along with trading Shatty.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It's very possible Parayko isn't interested in signing a cheap contract yet. I wouldn't be if I was him.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I would rather see Parayko sign a deal that ends at the oldest possible age he can be and still be an RFA. That way he's still Blues property when it expires, and all we have to worry about is an offer sheet from another team. (Which is very possible, see Shea Weber!) I will scream if Armstrong agrees to a Shatty type deal that leads to an early UFA status. If Parayko signs long term it better be 10-12 yrs :).

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I would rather see Parayko sign a deal that ends at the oldest possible age he can be and still be an RFA. That way he's still Blues property when it expires, and all we have to worry about is an offer sheet from another team. (Which is very possible, see Shea Weber!) I will scream if Armstrong agrees to a Shatty type deal that leads to an early UFA status. If Parayko signs long term it better be 10-12 yrs :).

You can sign a player to 8 years. Weber contracts can't happen any more.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I see Parayko developing 1 or 2 ways, booming like Tarasenko or Pietrangelo and earn a big contract or more methodically like Schwartz and earning a good, but not gigantic raise.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
If I had to guess, I'd say Army is worried about a regression a la Tyler Myers. If he starts the season on point, though, I'd expect an extension to be announced early on.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Yeah, hopefully the 2 sides can come to a deal relatively soon to keep Colt in the org for many years. Colt seems like an incredibly bright kid with a good head on his shoulders so it'll be interesting to see how he balances the safety vs max dollars dilemma in negotiating his next contract.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
If DA had extended him at the end of the season, I am guessing it would have come in at around 8x5million.

Having waited, we now have more info but I am going to guess that it will be around 5.5-6.2 million AAV.

As long as it's 8 years, we'll be good.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If I'm Parayko, there isn't much value in extending now, he should definitely bet on himself and wait longer.

If Army hasn't already discussed with Parayko team for extension I would be worrisome. I don't believe Army would be that stupid, 'cus extension and signing has been his tracking record.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If Army hasn't already discussed with Parayko team for extension I would be worrisome. I don't believe Army would be that stupid, 'cus extension and signing has been his tracking record.

I'm sure they've talked, Parayko has been in St. Louis all summer, at least that's what I believe. Contracts is one of the things that Army really excels at. I wouldn't worry about much with him getting an extension, and a good extension at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad