Post-Game Talk: 2016-17 All Star Game/Weekend Extravapalooza Etc.

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
I hope down the line that Ovi and Sid get to play with each other as line mates somewhere competitively. It's just too good of a story to not to have the 2 greatest of this era play along side one another at some point. Also if it's not Washington or Pittsburgh i just think the unbiased memories it would give to both sets of fans could be incredible and we could enjoy them as hockey players at a distance instead of always micro analysing every detail to death.

Jun 15, 2007
I hope down the line that Ovi and Sid get to play with each other as line mates somewhere competitively. It's just too good of a story to not to have the 2 greatest of this era play along side one another at some point. Also if it's not Washington or Pittsburgh i just think the unbiased memories it would give to both sets of fans could be incredible and we could enjoy them as hockey players at a distance instead of always micro analysing every detail to death.

Let's be real, that would mean Ovechkin going to the Penguins.

Sid has two cups already so he's a Penguins lifer. Ovechkin, if he doesn't win a cup and decides not to go back to Russia might start cup chasing on contenders.

I would vomit at the sight of Ovechkin on the Penguins. I'd still hope he gets his ring but I wouldn't watch a single game.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Meh, I wouldn't mind if Ovechkin won his cup with the Pens. Sid the Kid has grown up and is one of my favorite non Caps now, besides Kunitz I don't mind the Pens that much anymore.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Ovechkin was blocking shots and dropping back on D often and was at least the last man back on 2 or 3 odd man breaks.

He really really didn't want Holtby to get scored on.

I like the 3 on 3 format. Those guys were trying much much harder than they would have in the old format.

Last year Kuznetsov was visibly frustrated at the end of the game where they closed out with a PP but couldn't get the equalizer.

There were more than a few hooks and slashes (light ones) yesterday which is strange for an all star game.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Agreed. Ever since Ovi make Malkin his ***** and pummeled him, and in the all star game right after, Malkin helped with Ovi's props, the league seems to really be going out of its way to show a love affair between stars.

Love is war.
#PlayoffTheme

I don't think Ovi and Sid are best buds.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Agreed. Ever since Ovi make Malkin his ***** and pummeled him, and in the all star game right after, Malkin helped with Ovi's props, the league seems to really be going out of its way to show a love affair between stars.

Love is war.
#PlayoffTheme

I don't think Ovi and Sid are best buds.

They propably aren't.

The hate rivalry was always absolutely ridiculous though. They propably hated each other on the ice because both of them are used to being the best player on the ice, but no matter how much the media overhyped 'the rivalry' they never hated each other. Crosby has been invited and has visited Ovechkin's house. They are both one of the best hockey players in the World and have been for a decade, players like that are ridiculously competitive and pretty much turn off their friendships when they hit the ice. Especially Ovechkin. He is great friends with guys like Markov, Gonchar, Green and Semin for instance and still was always hunting those guys when they touched the ice with the wrong shirt on. I have no doubt he would do that even if Nicklas Backstrom got traded to the Islanders before tomorrow's game too. He is not on the ice to make friends when the games get competitive.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think they're probably respectful of each others' talents and careers in general and have a bond off the ice due to their rare positions in the world. Elite athletes often have this relationship even when rivals (sometimes especially when rivals) which they turn off at showtime (unless you're EK and Mike Green). But I don't think they're texting each other cat memes in their spare time.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Meh, I wouldn't mind if Ovechkin won his cup with the Pens. Sid the Kid has grown up and is one of my favorite non Caps now, besides Kunitz I don't mind the Pens that much anymore.

I don't even know who you are anymore. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad