2016-17 All-purpose goaltending thread

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Should we just make this an all-purpose goaltending thread?

Elliott/Johnson has me somewhat optimistic heading into the season. On paper, simply looking at stats, it looks like a clear upgrade on Ramo/Hiller/Ortio/whoever we ran with last year, and I'm excited to see how our goaltending and defense synergize (is that a word?) in an actual system under GG. If we can get our defense to function well as a unit and we get even adequate goaltending (and I think we'll get better than tbh) then we'll be in for a good season I think.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Should we just make this an all-purpose goaltending thread?

Elliott/Johnson has me somewhat optimistic heading into the season. On paper, simply looking at stats, it looks like a clear upgrade on Ramo/Hiller/Ortio/whoever we ran with last year, and I'm excited to see how our goaltending and defense synergize (is that a word?) in an actual system under GG. If we can get our defense to function well as a unit and we get even adequate goaltending (and I think we'll get better than tbh) then we'll be in for a good season I think.

Stanley Cup champions imo

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Would people say this is the best goalie tandem we've had since Kipper retired?

In my experience on this board, I've learned that people will say just about anything.

Ultimately, time will tell. Even if we say yes, that's not going to mean they have a great season to justify such a statement. I'm ultimately really unsure of just how good either guy is until we see him behind our defence.

moon*

Would people say this is the best goalie tandem we've had since Kipper retired?

I would say of course but given the other options that isn't saying much. Also with the way things went down last year I am sure that has soured some people on Hiller who was pretty good coming in here and the first season.

I think at best when Hiller came he was equal to Elliott coming in but I think I like Elliott a little more and Johnson has shown a lot more than Ramo had, or still has to this point.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I soured on Hiller mainly due to his comments. His performance was just ammunition for hating him more. I've never been really upset with Ramo and Ortio even when they stumbled.

On paper, I like Elliott and Johnson tandem. (That being said, our D looked good on paper just prior to last season too) :laugh:

I also expect a little bit of stumble out of the gate with so many new things going on, but will do well this season IMO. So I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Clearly the best in practise anyways

w6yRN.gif

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don't see a huge upgrade in net to be honest. I have a hard time seeing Brian Elliot putting up +.915 numbers with the way we played last year defensively.
Hiller was horrendous but I honestly don't see much of a difference in Elliot/Johnson and Ramo/Ortio

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
New coach and new system which will likely emphasize better defensive play. It's not impossible, but it will be difficult to be worse than last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad