Post-Game Talk: 2016-01-15: Hawks versus Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/game/chicago-blackhawks-toronto-maple-leafs-20160115/Preview

Stingy defense has played a critical role in the Chicago Blackhawks' nine-game winning streak. That trend could very well continue considering the Toronto Maple Leafs' scoring slump.

The reigning Stanley Cup champions aim to extend their remarkable run and hand the Maple Leafs a fourth consecutive loss in Friday night's matchup at Air Canada Centre.

Though Chicago (29-13-4) has gotten plenty of offense during its longest unbeaten stretch since a franchise-record 11-game streak Feb. 22-March 6, 2013, it needed another superb performance from Corey Crawford to increase it. The Montreal-area native made 17 of his 38 saves in the third period to lead the Blackhawks to Thursday's 2-1 victory over the Canadiens and give newly extended coach Joel Quenneville his 783rd regular-season win to move into sole possession of second place on the career list.

Crawford won his seventh consecutive start and has yielded nine goals over his last six, though he could give way to Scott Darling against a Maple Leafs team that's scored just twice during its skid and will be playing its second straight without top-line forward James van Riemsdyk, out 6 to 8 weeks after fracturing his left foot in Saturday's 7-0 shellacking by San Jose.
James Reimer will be tasked with keeping both in check as the Toronto netminder seeks his first win since Nov. 20. After missing most of December with a groin injury, Reimer allowed two goals each in recent losses to Los Angeles and Columbus to fall to 0-4-1 in five starts despite a 1.82 goals-against average during that span. Toronto has scored just five goals in those games.

Reimer owns a 4.13 GAA in three starts against Chicago but made 45 saves in a 3-2 home win on Nov. 1, 2014.

The Blackhawks have won nine of the past 11 meetings, including a 4-0 victory in Chicago on Dec. 21, 2014.

... new stuff follows.

Thanks Ulf

Maple Leafs-Chicago Blackhawks: Friday game preview

The Leafs are catching the red-hot Blackhawks in the second of back-to-back road games.

By: Kevin McGran Sports Reporter, Published on Thu Jan 14 2016

AIR CANADA CENTRE

Puck drop: 7 p.m.

TV: TSN4

Radio: Sportsnet 590 The Fan

Key matchup:Morgan Rielly vs. Patrick Kane.

Leafs defenceman Rielly will have to use his blazing speed to try to slow down Blackhawks winger Kane, who leads the NHL with 63 points. “He’s one of the best players in the league for a reason,†Rielly said of Kane. “You can’t give him room. You’ve got to make life tough on him. Play him tight.â€

Need to know: The Leafs are catching the Blackhawks in the second of back-to-back road games . . . Chicago has won nine in a row after beating the Habs 2-1 in Montreal on Thursday night . . . Richard Panik should be in the lineup for the Hawks, marking his return to Toronto and his first game here since the Jan. 4 trade . . . The Blackhawks are 26-3-2 this season when scoring first . . . The Blackhawks rank fourth in the NHL with a 22.2 per cent power play . . . Chicago has netted at least one power play goal in 24 games this season. They lead the NHL with a 27.1 road power-play percentage.

Up next: Saturday at Boston, 7 p.m., CBC

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Jonathan Toews is my favourite current NHL player and so its always special when he plays against my favourite team like today.

Hawks have won 9 straight games and so this one is not going to be easy.

Its too bad Leafs don't have their own JT to lead them.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Jonathan Toews is my favourite current NHL player and so its always special when he plays against my favourite team like today.

Not yet anyway.

Is there one in the system? Could that player be Nylander when he becomes the player he can become.

Or is their Toews coming in the 2016 draft?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not yet anyway.

Is there one in the system? Could that player be Nylander when he becomes the player he can become.

There are a lot of intangibles with Toews that make him a great leader on and of the ice and the driving force behind Hawks success.

Nylander is highly skilled and may put up points, but I can't envision him ever wearing the "C" and carrying the team leadership wise. I don't think there is anyone currently in the Leafs organization that is even in JT ball park.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Not yet anyway.

There's no one in the system that really has the Toews skill set. All of our big name prospects are either skilled, scoring forwards or defensemen. I think when the Leafs become good again, it will be similar to the Bolts last year, with offense leading the way. (and a pretty good blueline)

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Expecting a bad loss, if they can somehow manage to get back to Babcock's structure then I see it being close but still a loss.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
IMO.. I would have rather had bernier in. having him sit and stew after that 7 goal game isn't that great on him, and Reimer's record against Chicago isn't exactly spectacular.

Bernier will start tomorrow.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
There are a lot of intangibles with Toews that make him a great leader on and of the ice and the driving force behind Hawks success.

Nylander is highly skilled and may put up points, but I can't envision him ever wearing the "C" and carrying the team leadership wise. I don't think there is anyone currently in the Leafs organization that is even in JT ball park.

Do we really know what Nylander brings?

He's 19 and perhaps thrust into the spotlight sooner than he should have been.

Leading his team (tied still) and second youngest. Toews and Kane broke in with a poor Hawks team, that had been rebuilding for years, and even with good years from Kane and Toews, the Hawks were still around 21st. in the league.

I don't think the book on Nylander is closed on who he will become.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Do we really know what Nylander brings?

He's 19 and perhaps thrust into the spotlight sooner than he should have been.

Leading his team (tied still) and second youngest. Toews and Kane broke in with a poor Hawks team, that had been rebuilding for years, and even with good years from Kane and Toews, the Hawks were still around 21st. in the league.

I don't think the book on Nylander is closed on who he will become.

You're right. Predicting whether or not a 19 year old could ever wear a letter in the NHL is rather silly. All we know about Nylander is that his offensive production wherever he has played has been on the elite level (generational if you look at AHL stats this year, not calling him a generational prospect.). Though it's fair to assume he is most likely to be an elite scoring forward, he has lots of time to improve defensively. Management has raved about his work ethic and professionalism, so it isn't out of the question for him to wear a letter sometime in the future.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

that is very dismissive.

Not to say I think Nylander, can or can't, but to say something that bluntly and dismissive is an injustice. It's not like people thought that Towes would be Towes all the way back then either. And there are a lot of people who feel that Rielly could be that person, with his quiet no nonsense demeanour (and we've seen glimpses of it, especially when Dion was hurt).

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
From Chicago's perspective: 2nd game of a back-to-back, crappy Leafs team, and the middle of January. I don't think they will exert themselves too much. The Leafs might actually pull out a win.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015

I have a feeling that we are going to be very happily surprised, by next season, Mess... Even if we draft one of the top two prospects, I still wouldn't be that surprised to see them make a play for a veteran star player..

I'm also going to stick my neck out.. and predict that Andreas Johnson steps into the team next season.. Because of his age and experience.., I think he might just be one of our best goals scorers & play-makers.... and also might be someone who we could look at in the future, in some kind of leadership way.. I like the way he communicates with his line-mates, from what I've seen of him..

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Chicago's a tall order.., but we've done it before, when they didn't expect it...

Thanks for the GDT, Budsfan...

Hope we get back on track, tonight..! :handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Maple Leafs Rhapsody: Toronto vs Chicago 7-3 Blowout - TML (2013-14)

GO LEAFS GO !!​

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I agree with everything Mess is saying about Toews - he's my favorite NHL player too, and I don't know if Marner / Nylander have the intangibles or sheer will that he has. He's a special human being, not just a special hockey player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad