Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Bernier back in net when Maple Leafs visit Ducks

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/preview?id=2015020600

Sean McCullen - NHL.com Staff Writer

MAPLE LEAFS (15-15-7) at DUCKS (16-15-7)

TV: SNO, FS-W

Season series: The Toronto Maple Leafs and Anaheim Ducks split two games last season, with each winning on home ice. Toronto goalie Jonathan Bernier made 40 saves, and center Tyler Bozak had a goal and an assist in a 6-2 victory on Dec. 16, 2014. Anaheim forward Corey Perry had a hat trick, and goalie Frederik Andersen made 28 saves in a 4-0 win on Jan. 14.

Maple Leafs team scope: Bernier will make his eighth straight start, the Toronto Sun reported. The Maple Leafs open a three-game California road trip. They have won two straight and three of their past four. "What I know we've got to do is we've got to be ready for a good Ducks team who seems to have really picked things up and got things going here," coach Mike Babcock told the Maple Leafs website Tuesday. "It's going to be a big challenge for us." Forward James van Riemsdyk has a six-game point streak (four goals, four assists) after scoring in a 4-1 win against the St. Louis Blues on Saturday; he has seven goals and eight assists in the past 10 games.

Ducks team scope: Anaheim has won four of five (4-0-1) in large part because of strong special teams; it's 16-for-16 on the penalty kill and 6-for-11 on the power play during that stretch. The Ducks lead the NHL on the penalty kill (88.6 percent), and after a slow start, their power play was up to 11th (20.0 percent) entering play Tuesday. They scored two goals on the man-advantage in a 4-1 win against the Winnipeg Jets on Sunday in the first of a season-high eight-game homestand. "[The power play is] something that's going to win us games," coach Bruce Boudreau told the Ducks website Tuesday, "so that's why we practice it every day. We're not the highest-scoring team in the League, so we need ways to generate offense. ... It gives you a cushion." Center Ryan Kesler scored a goal in each of the past two games.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
TiVo makes the West Coast games tolerable.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
Let's hope Bernier doesn't crap the bed tonight...I would love to see another solid game from him.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Can't believe we are one of the top teams in the league in December and still 3rd last in the league. I guess its good news lol

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
Can't believe we are one of the top teams in the league in December and still 3rd last in the league. I guess its good news lol

...I believe we played a few less games in Dec then most teams(I might be wrong). If I remember correctly we had 1-2 more games played then most teams at the start of Dec(maybe late Nov), now we are about 1-2 games behind many teams.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
TiVo makes the West Coast games tolerable.

While the West Coast Leaf games finally at a reasonable time for others. ;)

Having to watch my Leafs at 4:00 in afternoon is okay once you get use to it as it allows for a full evening events after the game, the west coast games for those of us on PST makes them 7:00 starts.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Having to watch my Leafs at 4:00 in afternoon is okay once you get use to it as it allows for a full evening events after the game, the west coast games for those of us on PST makes them 7:00 starts.

8 PM is fine, a nice compromise. Get to watch and early games and then this one at a reasonable time.

Both Anaheim and Toronto have been playing better hockey lately.

10 of Toronto's 15 wins have come against the West, and against the stronger division they have won 7 of 10.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Toronto Maple Leafs at Anaheim Ducks: Wednesday game preview

The Leafs' 2014-15 season took a turn south during a three-game stop in California last January.

By: Dave Feschuk Sports Columnist, Published on Tue Jan 05 2016

Maple Leafs at Ducks

Honda Center, Anaheim

Puck drop: 10 p.m.

TV: Sportsnet Ontario

Radio: FAN 590

Key matchup: Toronto vs. the Pacific Triangle.

Wednesday’s game is the first of a three-game trip that will see the Leafs also visit the L.A. Kings and San Jose Sharks. A year ago a similar voyage marked the beginning of a Toronto death spiral. In three January road games against the same set of opponents, the Leafs registered three losses and were outscored a combined 9-1. But that trip came in the wake of Randy Carlyle’s firing. This one sees the Leafs, under Mike Babcock, coming off wins in five of seven games.

Need to know: While their early-season struggles were real, the Ducks, Western finalists last year, have won four of their past five contests and have strung together at least a point in the standings in six straight. “To be honest, we’re really sick of losing,†Anaheim forward Ryan Kesler told reporters Tuesday . . . It was worth a double take when Ducks goaltender John Gibson was named the NHL’s rookie of the month for December. His 5-3-1 record, three shutouts and .929 save percentage made him more than deserving. But Gibson made his NHL debut two seasons ago, at the tail end of the 2013-14 campaign. Still, even though he managed 13 NHL wins last season, he’s technically classified as a rookie . . . According to NHL guidelines, to be considered a rookie, “a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons.†Gibson played in 23 games last season and three games the season before that.

Up next: Thursday at L.A. Kings, 10 p.m.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Leafs (37 points) and tonight's opponent Anaheim (39 points) are only separated by 2 points in the overall standings with the Leafs having a game in hand.

A Leafs win will see them pass the Ducks in the standings as we approach mid season point of the schedule.

This is not a likely scenario that most would have predicted or seen coming at the beginning of the season.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Yeah, it used to bug me when I moved here but I think I prefer it now, afternoon games are great.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
We're steadily moving closer and closer to the promised land, the playoffs spot. It's real close already ready. Babcock sees it too. He is real hungry now and his structure is really in our favor. His players understand now and komarov is still the best player out of our squad. He is the key and our most valuable piece. Leader who hits, plays great defensively and still scores the most. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad