WJC: 2016 — USA Roster Talk (Part II)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
the scoring balance has been excellent overall. everyone of our forwards has at least a point so far with I believe only Krys and McAvoy pointless from position players. very surprised on McAvoy as he has been involved so much positively in this tournament.

commenting on defense first:
I have come away BEYOND impressed with Charles McAvoy with his poise and puck moving ability. He is a first round pick and has been a rock in his own end and in the transition game. He made a few lazy passes early on, but since that moment, I would honestly put McAvoy as our third best dman behind only Werenski and Carlo. top 20 potential in June for this young man, very happy with how he has played overall as fears of his one sided liability have vanished.

speaking of Carlo, WOW! what a difference a year makes. last year you could tell he had a lot of jitters on that young blueline and was asked to do a lot out there. this year his confidence and poise with the puck has been lights out. honestly his positioning, board battles, and stick work has been the best I have seen game in and game out from any defensemen in this tournament. if this kid doesnt turn into a 10 year NHLer, I would be shocked beyond belief. Just smooth and balanced out there, far removed from the awkwardness we saw last year from a big kid growing into his frame. another kid if the draft was redone today would likely move into a first round pick compared to second round where Boston snagged him. obviously being paired primarily with Werenski is as good as it gets.

Werenski - hmmmm, easily the best defenseman in this tournament overall. I think Carlo has been the best shutdown dman in the tournament so far, but Werenski has dominated overall at every aspect of the game. going against him is a losing battle almost every time, and the way he can come out of his own zone and distribute the puck tape to tape is inspiring. I see a lot of Ryan McDonaugh in his game, a future captain and all around stud. I have no doubt that we unfortunately will not be blessed with him next year, as like Hanifin he will be up with the big-boys in Columbus next year.

Will Borgen has been a rock out there. just plays the game right and keeps things stupid simple. that isn't a knock at all, just does the little things right and doesn't over think it. he has skill which you can easily see through his outlet passes and skating ability so he has two way talent here. he reminds me so much of what Brian Lashoff did for us in 2010, unheralded warrior that his name will barely get mentioned because he is doing all the right things behind the scenes. you need players like this to win, and he has been that second pair anchor we so desperately hoped for.

Louie, Louie, Louie! I have become a big fan of Belpedio this year. I used to view him as vanilla and in the Will Butcher class of guys who just do enough to look good at times, but his overall game has improved leaps and bounds and this kid is respected and a leader in the locker room which cannot be stressed enough. on the ice he has been sharp and handled all different assignments from power play to penalty kill. he has led some great rushes offensively and been back to breakup some odd man ones as well. he can be a Jake McCabe type player and role for this team, as a leader, contributor, and possible hero moving forward. I love his poise a lot and his wheels are well above average, solid solid player paired with that anchor Borgen.

Chad Krys is the youngest player on the team and one of the youngest in the tournament, and it shows. he doesn't get a regular shift which is hard on any player especially a young one. but you can see the talent and skill he posses with his skating, vision, and point work on the power play. he has made some stupid behind the back passes that will infuriate any coach as he needs to get that out of his system and just work on safe plays at this stage of his career. I don't know how much ice time he sees moving forward but I do think he can contribute and push the puck up the ice as good as anyone we have, and I view him better than Fortunato but his age seems to be holding him back here barring an injury. he has the skill and ability to be a top 30 pick in June, not sure if this showing so far does anything positive or negative for him in that regards.

Fortunato is a player I really do not care much for. he is as vanilla as it gets and tiny out there without being dynamic. he has done some good and has worked the point on the second power play unit, but outside of that just not seeing much from him as he hasn't seen a consistent regular shift game in as well. not a bad player by any means, and the positive is he is here and Ryan Collins is not, so that alone is worth the price of Gold to me.

after all our fears about this defense and the talent it would have at its disposal, I think it is safe to say we all have some egg on our face with how they have played. I believed this group could be good and would not be terrible, but I didn't see this level of dominance at all. they have been rock solid against Canada, Sweden, the Czechs, and the easier matchups of Denmark and the Swiss. this group has outplayed all our expectations and if we win, it will be because of them as they have limited the prime scoring chances and the repeated play in our zone. through 5 games I can hardly remember many times we were chasing in our own zone as we couldn't get the pucks out or get to the rebounds first- simply impressive and dominant. this group has a solid A+ for what they have done out there which has helped Ned look solid in net as well.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
offensively this team has been as advertised. we knew we had scoring depth even with the players we left back. this team can score in waves and has the ability to be an unrelenting force which I feel they are just starting to become. now that MacInnis is back to his natural center, and DeBrincat is back and playing on his wing, we have a legit 4 lines that can do damage as evidence by every forward with at least 1 point so far- impressive.

I just want to start off with my thoughts on the forwards:

Brock Boeser has been the only player that I can say has been a bit disappointing to me. not bashing the kid at all as he has played solid in his own zone and done a lot of little things for teammate Schmaltz to put up some decent numbers, but his shot and aim has been lacking. a number of times I have seen Boeser in prime scoring range to either not shoot it or simply fling one over the net or wide. nerves can be playing a bit here with him and as a 97 he can come back next year and be a bigger force, but from all I have seen of him the past few years he hasn't been that lethal scoring threat I have come to know. he still has time to step up and be a Rocco Grimaldi and score when it matters most but for right now he has left some to be desired offensively.

Nick Schmaltz has been amazing out there and IMO is the next best forward we have had not named Matthews. both zones he has been a force, just a pest on the back check and never giving up on any play, his work ethic has been inspiring and has lost that one dimensional perimeter tag and now has become a student of the game. he reminds me so much of Patrick Kane with how he back checks and works his tail off to be a pest out there, he will never win a selke, but like Kane can be very respectable in his own end while still wowing fans with his skill which he has done. Chicago has another stud on the way.

Austin Matthews - yep, don't need to add anything here but this - he is good!

Sonny Milano has been all over the place in my eyes and invisible at time to others..not sure what to make of it maybe because he has so much skill and can do some amazing things that so much is being asked of him by some fans. he has looked great to me ad has been a force on that second line. yes he has razzled and dazzled a bit too much out there but that is a part of his game, when it works he is a wizard, when it doesn't he takes heat. I have no complaints with Milano as he has done exactly as advertised and has been one of our most consistent players.

Colin White has quietly been our 3rd leading scorer and that's not a bad thing. he plays in all zones and reminds me a lot of Toews with the responsibility he takes on and how he handles business. a consummate professional, this kid has a bright future. does the little things right and just brings intelligence and skill to the table that few can match - he has clicked with Matthews and Tkachuk so good luck Russia and whoever else we face.

Christian Dvorack has been up and down for me as more was expected of him, but he has turned it on of late and has played a solid defensive game that cannot be overlooked. many times when players come from paying on the top line to having to play on the second or third line, they have trouble adjusting roles, but Dvorack has found his game just in time for the most important time. kid can do it all and might be our hero moving forward with clutch play and solid two way ability.

Anders Bjork has been solid out there. cant complain about the kid as he has played whatever role asked of him and done it well. he can play op 9 or bottom 3 and not miss a beat, flexible role player with speed and skill who has done what has been asked of him. becoming a bigger fan of his by the day.

Alex DeBrincat has had a rough go. loved seeing him get the goal yesterday and loved seeing MacInnis moving to center and playin with Alex which is smart and will benefit both. kid has a lethal shot and nose for the net. if there is one guy who can step up and be the hero or player who comes out of nowhere to produce, this is the guy. excited he is healthy and back as his body helps us send out 4 lines that can score and need to be watched heavily.

Ryan MacInnis has been disappointing as well but like Alex is starting to warm up now that they put him where he belongs at center. this kid hasn't showed the flashes of skill he has but like I said when you go from THE man in the OHL to 4th liner, very hard to adjust that quickly. he hasn't made any glaring mistakes just hasn't produced much, but given his ice time and role I think when it is all said and done he will be just fine.

Matthew Tkachuk has been explosive and dominating at times. I can see why many view him as the #2 overall pick in June. he is ALWAYS around the net, crashing it, skating through it, just creating havoc. hi hands and stick work in such tight areas is beyond impressive, he has tremendous skill, heart, and fight, just like his pops. not sure if he comes back next year but he has been nothing short of impressive this tourney and has locked himself into a top 5 spot for me.

Ryan Donato has been just like Bjork for me. does everything solid but nothing special. you need players like him to win and never complained when he made this team. I love his speed and work ethic as he knows where to be on the ice at all times. very smart kid who has played up in the top 6 at times as well, but is better suited in the grind line role as he has done it so well. very solid soldier out there to have, happy he is here.

Kyle Connor...errr I mean Ryan Hitchcock - not a fan really. he has done a few solid things and had some nice plays but I don't see that shutdown game from him to put him on this team as a 4th line grinder. he has played well and I have no complaints really about his play other than the fact that he is here along with 3 other grinder types and Connor and Roslovic aren't...I hope he just continues to do the little things and keeps it simple and plays that north and south game we need him to play.

Scott Eansor has been invisible for me this entire time. I didn't even know he was dressed until he scored the breakaway goal. I have been tough and harsh on him because his inclusion has been a mystery to me. he had a pretty breakaway goal on the pk when game was out of hand, so hopefully that sparks him as he is a top pk guy for this team who needs to get better as what he brought to the table prior to yesterday was absolutely nothing. every player matters in a short tournament like this so lets hope he has confidence now to be a pesty player who can generate something by crashing the net and fore checking his rear off.

overall this group has been awesome. they play well with each other, they haven't had to have emergency line shakings like previous years (remember Jimmy Vesey getting moved up), so that alone is a testament to the skill and camaraderie they have built. I wanted to see more desire in getting to rebounds and crashing the net much harder after that Sweden loss, and that is exactly what has happened. we can role 4 lines with any country so pound for pound this group can fight anyone. not sure what medal if any we get, but after watching the first 5 games I would be beyond disappointed if we didn't get the Gold as this group just has the talent, depth, and goaltending to do it.

cant wait for tomorrow, go get them boys!

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
In the last few years it's been tough to determine which team I dislike more. Russia or Canada.

Tomorrow should be fun.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This coach played complete anti-hockey. Put a no-skill grinder on two of the three skill lines and didn't let the defenseman pinch. Thats how you play if you don't have talented players. If you have the most talented team at the tournament, its a terrible strategy.

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
They didn't have enough offense when they played good teams.

Could have really used Kyle Connor and Jack Roslovic.

Yup. I don't know why Hockey USA has such a hard on for Ivy League players. They constantly take 1 or 2 players who have no business being on this team (Vesey excluded).

Their roster selection was exposed with how horrible/invisible those grind guys were (Bjork excluded).

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I didnt catch todays came, how did Dvorak look? I thought he looked real good in the Czech game, but how about today?

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
This team never had more than 2 goals scored against them in any one game in the tournament and we got bounced in the semis.

I still feel like the only team we were ready to go to war against was Canada. We fell behind to other good teams like Sweden and Russia and couldn't find an answer.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Except people have been saying that since before the prelims even started.

Good for them
If they'd won, no one is saying anything...but they didn't so now it's easy to rip it apart...and it's every year that it happens. It gets old. IMO, fans don't have a clue what players would have helped and which ones wouldn't 99% of the time. So easy to complain about decisions when you have no hand in making them.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
the scoring balance has been excellent overall. everyone of our forwards has at least a point so far with I believe only Krys and McAvoy pointless from position players. very surprised on McAvoy as he has been involved so much positively in this tournament.

commenting on defense first:
I have come away BEYOND impressed with Charles McAvoy with his poise and puck moving ability. He is a first round pick and has been a rock in his own end and in the transition game. He made a few lazy passes early on, but since that moment, I would honestly put McAvoy as our third best dman behind only Werenski and Carlo. top 20 potential in June for this young man, very happy with how he has played overall as fears of his one sided liability have vanished.

speaking of Carlo, WOW! what a difference a year makes. last year you could tell he had a lot of jitters on that young blueline and was asked to do a lot out there. this year his confidence and poise with the puck has been lights out. honestly his positioning, board battles, and stick work has been the best I have seen game in and game out from any defensemen in this tournament. if this kid doesnt turn into a 10 year NHLer, I would be shocked beyond belief. Just smooth and balanced out there, far removed from the awkwardness we saw last year from a big kid growing into his frame. another kid if the draft was redone today would likely move into a first round pick compared to second round where Boston snagged him. obviously being paired primarily with Werenski is as good as it gets.

Werenski - hmmmm, easily the best defenseman in this tournament overall. I think Carlo has been the best shutdown dman in the tournament so far, but Werenski has dominated overall at every aspect of the game. going against him is a losing battle almost every time, and the way he can come out of his own zone and distribute the puck tape to tape is inspiring. I see a lot of Ryan McDonaugh in his game, a future captain and all around stud. I have no doubt that we unfortunately will not be blessed with him next year, as like Hanifin he will be up with the big-boys in Columbus next year.

Will Borgen has been a rock out there. just plays the game right and keeps things stupid simple. that isn't a knock at all, just does the little things right and doesn't over think it. he has skill which you can easily see through his outlet passes and skating ability so he has two way talent here. he reminds me so much of what Brian Lashoff did for us in 2010, unheralded warrior that his name will barely get mentioned because he is doing all the right things behind the scenes. you need players like this to win, and he has been that second pair anchor we so desperately hoped for.

Louie, Louie, Louie! I have become a big fan of Belpedio this year. I used to view him as vanilla and in the Will Butcher class of guys who just do enough to look good at times, but his overall game has improved leaps and bounds and this kid is respected and a leader in the locker room which cannot be stressed enough. on the ice he has been sharp and handled all different assignments from power play to penalty kill. he has led some great rushes offensively and been back to breakup some odd man ones as well. he can be a Jake McCabe type player and role for this team, as a leader, contributor, and possible hero moving forward. I love his poise a lot and his wheels are well above average, solid solid player paired with that anchor Borgen.

Chad Krys is the youngest player on the team and one of the youngest in the tournament, and it shows. he doesn't get a regular shift which is hard on any player especially a young one. but you can see the talent and skill he posses with his skating, vision, and point work on the power play. he has made some stupid behind the back passes that will infuriate any coach as he needs to get that out of his system and just work on safe plays at this stage of his career. I don't know how much ice time he sees moving forward but I do think he can contribute and push the puck up the ice as good as anyone we have, and I view him better than Fortunato but his age seems to be holding him back here barring an injury. he has the skill and ability to be a top 30 pick in June, not sure if this showing so far does anything positive or negative for him in that regards.

Fortunato is a player I really do not care much for. he is as vanilla as it gets and tiny out there without being dynamic. he has done some good and has worked the point on the second power play unit, but outside of that just not seeing much from him as he hasn't seen a consistent regular shift game in as well. not a bad player by any means, and the positive is he is here and Ryan Collins is not, so that alone is worth the price of Gold to me.

after all our fears about this defense and the talent it would have at its disposal, I think it is safe to say we all have some egg on our face with how they have played. I believed this group could be good and would not be terrible, but I didn't see this level of dominance at all. they have been rock solid against Canada, Sweden, the Czechs, and the easier matchups of Denmark and the Swiss. this group has outplayed all our expectations and if we win, it will be because of them as they have limited the prime scoring chances and the repeated play in our zone. through 5 games I can hardly remember many times we were chasing in our own zone as we couldn't get the pucks out or get to the rebounds first- simply impressive and dominant. this group has a solid A+ for what they have done out there which has helped Ned look solid in net as well.

Completely disagree with Mcavoy

Terrible decisions, turnovers, tries to do way to much on his own and it really showed today against Russia.

He was totally out classed.

He's the #5 D on this team and he's a long way fro Belpedio - Borgen right now in his career.

He might turn out to be a solid player but he has to simplify his game and better decision making.

I think / hope that will come with maturity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad