WJC: 2016 — Canada Roster Talk (Part V) [mod warning in OP]

carlweezer*

I agree w. The poster who said it was a dumb move by Marner. No need jump and launch to make a hit. It will be costly if we find out this afternoon that the hit is getting reviewed and there's a chance he can get suspended.

Tho Marner hasn't produced as much as he was expected to do, he would be a big loss for Canada in the qaurters

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Thought Marner and Konecy played their best games of the tournament that last game against the Swedes. Stromes been our best player but he didn't do anything last game.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
I agree w. The poster who said it was a dumb move by Marner. No need jump and launch to make a hit. It will be costly if we find out this afternoon that the hit is getting reviewed and there's a chance he can get suspended.

Tho Marner hasn't produced as much as he was expected to do, he would be a big loss for Canada in the qaurters

dude hes not, stop beating a dead horse and move on.

Salming

Mar 17, 2002
Sweden
Visit site
This is the perfect build up for a Canadian QF victorty. Team Canada loves to be written off and criticized. It's teambuilding basics. This time Gretzky doesn't even have to proclaim that everyone hates Canada.

Canada has a rather smallish and non-physical team but the blood pumping in those young players is still canadian.

carlweezer*

Thought Marner and Konecy played their best games of the tournament that last game against the Swedes. Stromes been our best player but he didn't do anything last game.

I agree that was Marners best game but from an overall standpoint that was an average to below average game Marner played but he much better w. Shift time and turnovers. The 5-3 goal was a rocket but aside from that he wasn't able to contribute much 5 on 5.

Koneckny was a spark plug. Heart and soul type of guy. Kind of like Brendan Gallagher but w a tad more skill. He was great last game.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Most of the team has been mediocre. Marner has actually been one of our better players. If you're disappointed he isn't tearing up like Mathews, Pulju, Laine, Nylander then fine. But he hasn't been bad. Last game he was our 2nd best player. Team Canada's problem isn't one guy.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Canada has a rather smallish and non-physical team but the blood pumping in those young players is still canadian.

Very true, Canada seems more one dimensional this tournament on offense and lacks defence. Where the other big countries are more two way teams, including Russia which is more rare. It makes the competition great. Good parity for sure.

Many doubting Canada which is understandable but now every game counts. It will be an excellent finish to the tourney either way.

Last edited:

carlweezer*

Most of the team has been mediocre. Marner has actually been one of our better players. If you're disappointed he isn't tearing up like Mathews, Pulju, Laine, Nylander then fine. But he hasn't been bad. Last game he was our 2nd best player. Team Canada's problem isn't one guy.

In respect w. Canada yes Marner has been fine but within the big picture of development and competing vs his peers he hasn't been on same level as those mentioned.

I like his creativity and vision w. The puck.

I dislike his stength, shift lengthy, turnover machine.

We need him along w. Other to step up. but especially him because he is supposed to be leading us offensively.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Am I in the twilight zone, is there something i'm not aware of or is there some kind of inside joke in the forum? What the hell is wrong with Marner's hit? It's pretty damn clean. He charges a little bit, but the swedish player has is head forward and Marner is literally right in front of him; not a blindside at all. There is no way that Marner could have made that hit without hitting his head, since the player has his head in front of his body looking at the puck.

I don't get it why people are calling for suspensions, it's a clean hit. It's the kind of hit you want in hockey.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
I agree that was Marners best game but from an overall standpoint that was an average to below average game Marner played but he much better w. Shift time and turnovers. The 5-3 goal was a rocket but aside from that he wasn't able to contribute much 5 on 5.

Koneckny was a spark plug. Heart and soul type of guy. Kind of like Brendan Gallagher but w a tad more skill. He was great last game.

Please name all the other scoring opportunity's created by team Canada? Who else was producing 5/5 that the blame falls on Marner?

Scores a goal, great pass to setup Chabot, good move to work out front before the net was pushed off by a Sweden defenseman.

How about we place blame on the players that actually provide nothing than on someone at least bringing something.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
If I see Virtanen and Crouse with Strome one more game... Strome has two anchors on his win imo. He needs some skill, move Konecny up to his wing and move Vitananen down. The first line just isn't effective.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Its safe to say that none of these guys are playing to the way they are capable of. That doesnt mean that this player is better than that player. It is a small sample size..

To me this is mostly all on the coaching staff.

The fact that the lines are the same today as they were yesterday , means they will be the same tomorrow , and that is very concerning to me.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
If I see Virtanen and Crouse with Strome one more game... Strome has two anchors on his win imo. He needs some skill, move Konecny up to his wing and move Vitananen down. The first line just isn't effective.

Been saying it for a while... They need to run Marner Strome and Konecny as the top line and go head to head with the Finns top line. If they keep Virtanen in the top six they're going to get destroyed.

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
Please name all the other scoring opportunity's created by team Canada? Who else was producing 5/5 that the blame falls on Marner?

Scores a goal, great pass to setup Chabot, good move to work out front before the net was pushed off by a Sweden defenseman.

How about we place blame on the players that actually provide nothing than on someone at least bringing something.

If marner wasn't a leaf prospect we wouldn't be seeing this. The whole team has been a disappointment

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Am I in the twilight zone, is there something i'm not aware of or is there some kind of inside joke in the forum? What the hell is wrong with Marner's hit? It's pretty damn clean. He charges a little bit, but the swedish player has is head forward and Marner is literally right in front of him; not a blindside at all. There is no way that Marner could have made that hit without hitting his head, since the player has his head in front of his body looking at the puck.

I don't get it why people are calling for suspensions, it's a clean hit. It's the kind of hit you want in hockey.

He jumps and plants his shoulder into his head. The IIHF is pretty damn hard on head contact. Egli was suspended for 3 games for his hit against Nylander because of head contact, and he didn't jump into Nylander's head. Nylander was also heavily leaning forward (his entire body not just his head), but that didn't matter to the IIHF. I didn't think the Egli hit warranted a suspension based on the letter of the rules, but the IIHF reasoning was entirely based on zero tolerance for hitting the head. This Marner hit is more explicitly against the letter of the rules in my opinion because he jumps into the head. As Marner is a star hitting a nobody, and there was no injury on the play, nothing will happen of course.

There are also no rules regarding blindside hits, that doesn't exist in the rulebook.

It's quite funny that I've seen many of the same people who were yelling pretty loudly for an Egli suspension for head contact are now defending this hit though. :laugh:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003

IIHF rule

vii. A skater who delivers a check to an opponent who is skating with the
puck with his head down in the direction of the skater, and does not
use an upward motion or drive his body up
into the opponent, will not
be penalized for checking to the head or neck.

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
Didn't want to start a separate thread for this...

Can someone who's watched all the games rank Canada's 7 d-men based on their play in the tournament so far? Thanks.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Hit on Nylander was a blindside hit, there is no way he could have expected that hit. Marner made a mistake by stopping but hit itself was direct and if you slow it down his elbow hits his chest and one his leg is on the ice as well. Not even a charge as I thought earlier.

Great hit. No wonder why it's not discussed anywhere but here :laugh:

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Didn't want to start a separate thread for this...

Can someone who's watched all the games rank Canada's 7 d-men based on their play in the tournament so far? Thanks.

It's hard because some defensemen barely play while others play way too many minutes. Id personally rank Chabot as the best, and then Hicketts, Fleury.

Sanheim should be up there but he hardly plays because of our inept coach. Dermott has been good but also hardly plays. McKeown is the #7 and is the worst one talent wise as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad