Blue Jays GDT: (2015 v40) Next: vs NYY| Tue, Sept 22| 7pm ET/4pm PT| Severino vs Estrada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Goins started hitting better when he put his bat on his shoulder to calm his swing down.

Pillar should think about that as well. I watch him and his bat is twitching and moving.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Jays clicked immediately after the trades and have had the best record in baseball since the deadline. I guess I just can't give an ounce of credit to Gibbons though because he's been given so much to work with.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
Guys, Pillar just went to first base without having to hit the ball first. Why did he do that? I didn't think he was allowed to do that.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
The Jays have a good bullpen this season.

Bullpens are funny thing, relievers and closers are funny pitchers, and are never a sure bet. What is a good reliever? Who is a good closer season to season? I think the Pen has been great since july. I don't think Gibbons manages the game well, and that goes with managing the Pen. His strategy to me seems to be to try and have a pitcher go for a full inning rather than manage to the game as it unfolds. His go to was Sanchez-Osuna when the Jays were killing it and he's trying to do the same thing in tight games when the Jays aren't as hot and it's not working.

See how often a manager/pitching coach will come out during a game to talk things over and slow the game down vs how many times Gibbons/Jays coach does. Just observe.

Like I said, I have my opinion, and you have yours. You want to keep attacking it, go ahead. I just don't think Gibbons is that great.

Here's all I know:

Gibbons took over coaching the Jays in August 2004. In 2005 and 2006, the Jays bullpen ERA was 11th, in 2007 it was 3rd and 2008 (the year he was fired n June) it was 1st. In 2004, it was 28th and in 2009 it was 19th. In 2013, when he returned, the bullpen was 9th, last year it was 25th and this year it's 8th. In 2012 it was 25th. Either Gibbons keeps lucking out with good bullpens or he knows something we don't. I think, with such a large sample size, the latter is more likely.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
Jays clicked immediately after the trades and have had the best record in baseball since the deadline. I guess I just can't give an ounce of credit to Gibbons though because he's been given so much to work with.

How'd he do without a great line up? Fill me in please.:laugh:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Guys, Pillar just went to first base without having to hit the ball first. Why did he do that? I didn't think he was allowed to do that.

doesn't happen very often but he just wasn't Chasen this pitchers' Shreve

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
It frustrates me that Gibbons loaded his lineup with lefties in this key matchup against the opposing team's ace lefty.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Question, why not hit Colabello here? Smoak isn't going to come out this late, why not use your best hitter in this situation?

Just curious about that one.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
Didn't he already have a great lineup? The argument was that his rotation sucked, and yet he still kept the team around .500 and in the hunt.

Christ, the Jays had a very good line up before the trades and were a .500 team. After they get one of the best starters in the game, one of the best shortstops, a good pitcher back, a very good pitcher back, and and MVP season from one of their players, and do well, bolstered the pen with Hawkins and Lowe, you're going to say that was all the manager? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad