2015 Prospect Tournaments: Mantha, Athanasiou hope to reunite with Blashill in Detroi

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
anthony_mantha_andreas_athanasiou_grand_rapids_022815.jpg
Photo: Detroit Red Wings forward prospects Anthony Mantha (#8) and Andreas Athanasiou (#23) finished ninth and tenth in scoring for the Grand Rapids Griffins in the 2014-15 regular season (courtesy of Patrick Gorski/Icon Sportswire)

</p>Andreas Athanasiou and Anthony Mantha want to play for Jeff Blashill during the upcoming season.

As rookies in the American Hockey League (AHL)*with the Grand Rapids Griffins, both enjoyed learning under Blashill. And both felt he was more than deserving of the head coaching role with the Detroit Red Wings.

Now, Athanasiou and Mantha want to prove they’re worthy of their own promotion from the AHL and join their former coach in Detroit.… read more

The post 2015 Prospect Tournaments: Mantha, Athanasiou hope to reunite with Blashill in Detroit appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Mantha will need to have a strong AHL campaign to rebuild his stock and AA will only sniff the roster if Helm departs. Both seem to be behind Larkin at this point for call ups, especially with Jurco and Pulkks both being without options.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Mantha will need to have a strong AHL campaign to rebuild his stock and AA will only sniff the roster if Helm departs. Both seem to be behind Larkin at this point for call ups, especially with Jurco and Pulkks both being without options.

I'd also throw Nosek into that conversation of being deserving of a call up.
I think we will see Nosek get called up before AA will.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
I think that AA makes the team in 2016-17 as Helm most likely wont be resigned and Mantha will have to earn his keep. Mantha needs a very good year in Grand Rapids.

With Ken Holland still in the drivers seat I have a hard time believing Helm will not be re-signed. We ARE still talking about the wings here, they won't let people go. And frankly I don't think you just let Helm walk. If you're thinking about moving on from him trade him now...but again Ken Holland.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
With Ken Holland still in the drivers seat I have a hard time believing Helm will not be re-signed. We ARE still talking about the wings here, they won't let people go. And frankly I don't think you just let Helm walk. If you're thinking about moving on from him trade him now...but again Ken Holland.

A lot depends on the cap situation next year, With the canadian dollar in free fall most likely the cap wont be going up next year and could drop. As of now we've 10 RFAs/UFAs to sign with about $18.5 million to do it with. DeKeyser will be getting a raise both Sheahan and Mrazek will get cheap bridge deals and most likely Abdelkader will be resigned as well. Just not sure if we can afford to resign Helm Athanasiou is pretty much ready and most likely the heir apparent to take Helms spot. With the cap situation uncertainty I'm just not convinced yet that Helm will be back after this year. He's easily replaceable. But I see your point of view with Holland in the driver seat you just never know what to expect he likes Helm a lot will have to do with the cap situation next year.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
A lot depends on the cap situation next year, With the canadian dollar in free fall most likely the cap wont be going up next year and could drop. As of now we've 10 RFAs/UFAs to sign with about $18.5 million to do it with. DeKeyser will be getting a raise both Sheahan and Mrazek will get cheap bridge deals and most likely Abdelkader will be resigned as well. Just not sure if we can afford to resign Helm Athanasiou is pretty much ready and most likely the heir apparent to take Helms spot. With the cap situation uncertainty I'm just not convinced yet that Helm will be back after this year. He's easily replaceable. But I see your point of view with Holland in the driver seat you just never know what to expect he likes Helm a lot will have to do with the cap situation next year.

Abdelkader might want to test free agency, as he is in line for Clarkson like money and Detroit would be foolish to pay it.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Abdelkader might want to test free agency, as he is in line for Clarkson like money and Detroit would be foolish to pay it.

Abdelkader at best is a 3rd line grinder, Any team foolish enough to give him Clarkson money can have him. No way is he worth that much. If that's in fact what he would be asking for then Holland is better off letting him go at the end of the season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Abdelkader at best is a 3rd line grinder, Any team foolish enough to give him Clarkson money can have him. No way is he worth that much. If that's in fact what he would be asking for then Holland is better off letting him go at the end of the season.

We might be. Have a really hard time seeing Holland saying no to a home-grown Michigan kid like Abby... and my confidence that we are going to make smarter deals now that we hired this new analytic guy went right out with the window when we gave Cleary a contract.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
We might be. Have a really hard time seeing Holland saying no to a home-grown Michigan kid like Abby... and my confidence that we are going to make smarter deals now that we hired this new analytic guy went right out with the window when we gave Cleary a contract.

Yeah Abby is definitely going to be resigned, Khan pretty much said that Holland will be looking to lock him up long term during the season or before free agency any ways Holland loves him he's a Michigan kid a Michigan State product I can't see any scenario where Abby wont be back with Detroit they're his hometown team he loves the organization. I think some time during the season he signs a 5 year $20 million contract he's a wing for life just like DeKeyser.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Has there been any beatwriter rumors about re-signing Helm?

It just feels our organization is giving small hints about what they are gonna do. And it's to sign Abby (St. James speculated already with the salary) and let Helm walk. (99% guarantee he signs to Toronto).

Because of the tight cap, we pretty much have to decide between Abdelkader and Helm. And Abby is the local boy and adds physicality/goes Net-front, an element which we don't have in currect prospects to be replaced immediately internally.

But Helm, as good as he is, would be replaced by briging speedsters Larkin/Athanasiou in.

It just seems so obvious.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

It just feels our organization is giving small hints about what they are gonna do. And it's to sign Abby (St. James speculated already with the salary) and let Helm walk. (99% guarantee he signs to Toronto).

Because of the tight cap, we pretty much have to decide between Abdelkader and Helm. And Abby is the local boy and adds physicality/goes Net-front, an element which we don't have in currect prospects to be replaced immediately internally.

But Helm, as good as he is, would be replaced by briging speedsters Larkin/Athanasiou in.

It just seems so obvious.

I don't think you will get those until later in the season. I love helm, but he is replaceable. Easily. all Athanasiou needs to do is learn some decent dfence and hes probably the same or better.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

I would hate to see Helm in the same division but you make a good point.

It would be worth our while to trade him to winnipeg and hope he loves playing at home. Obviously our ideal target would be Byfuglin.

Helm + Smith/Q + a 2nd could be a good hockey trade for two teams.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I would hate to see Helm in the same division but you make a good point.

It would be worth our while to trade him to winnipeg and hope he loves playing at home. Obviously our ideal target would be Byfuglin.

Helm + Smith/Q + a 2nd could be a good hockey trade for two teams.

Yeah you're thinking what I'm thinking. Helm is a Winnipeg boy and I was thinking that something along the lines of Helm+Quincey/Smith+2nd rounder for Byfuglien might work. Would be sweet to add Byfuglien at the trade deadline if Winnipeg is out of it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think I remember one of the beat writers talking about the Wings putting and emphasis on signing Abby and Helm. Abby is obviously getting more attention now. That's when people were saying "everybody is a Red Wing for life."

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah you're thinking what I'm thinking. Helm is a Winnipeg boy and I was thinking that something along the lines of Helm+Quincey/Smith+2nd rounder for Byfuglien might work. Would be sweet to add Byfuglien at the trade deadline if Winnipeg is out of it.

Never though about this. But we still need to open 2016-17 cap, so Smith should go in here.

Caphits would fit well if:

Helm 2.125M + Smith 2.75M

Total: 4.875M
<>
Byfuglien 5.2M
Promote Larkin (925k) to replace Helm

Total 6.125M

It's quite near...1.25M difference.

Winnipeg could eat 1.25M Byfuglien caphit (less in real salary as further the season goes) to make it work and we'll add a draft pick.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Smith? You're trading our top pairing defender?! :sarcasm:

Yeah... to open a spot for a right-handed TOP pair defender. :)

Kronner - Byfuglien
DeKeyser - Green
Ericsson - Ouellet/Marchenko
Kindl

Lot more easier to start the 2016-17 season. Extend Big-Buff with a fatty contract. :)

Aug 6, 2012
I think I remember one of the beat writers talking about the Wings putting and emphasis on signing Abby and Helm. Abby is obviously getting more attention now. That's when people were saying "everybody is a Red Wing for life."

Not to derail the thread but I don't see the logic in signing both one bit. You have one of the best forward prospect pools in the league... so much talent pushing for a spot in Detroit. Sure they have to earn their spot, but for the last how many years there haven't been any spots available.

I think bringing Abby back would be smart depending on the salary. I love Helmer to death but someone's gotta go eventually, right?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I love Helmer to death but someone's gotta go eventually, right?

Absolutely they do. The question is if you let them slide away after the playoffs or you make a move on them. Holland's history suggests he keeps these guys for the playoffs then decides if he wants to extend them, i.e. Hudler and Filppula.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I just can't see room for Helm with Larkin knocking on the door. This year, you have Helm in Detroit and Larkin in GR. But next year I see Larkin as being cheaper and an upgrade.

Unfortunately, it's just not a Kenny move to trade Helm for actual assets. He'll let him go as a UFA, I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad