2015 Prospect Tournaments: Bjorkstrand leads Blue Jackets to second straight Traverse

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
oliver_bjorkstrand_columbus_092314.jpg
Photo: Columbus Blue Jackets forward prospect Oliver Bjorkstrand wrapped up his WHL career in 2014-15 with a WHL scoring title, posting 63 goals and 118 points in 59 games (courtesy of Jason Mowry/Icon Sportswire)

</p>The cupboard is well stocked for Columbus Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen.

The Blue Jackets have one of the deepest prospect pools in the NHL, and a winning culture is already starting to take hold amongst those players.

On Tuesday, Columbus won it’s second straight championship at the Traverse City Prospects Tournament hosted by the Detroit Red Wings.

Columbus ousted Detroit, 5-2, in the championship game, completing a dominant tournament that featured an offense that pumped in 18 goals in four games.… read more

The post 2015 Prospect Tournaments: Bjorkstrand leads Blue Jackets to second straight Traverse City championship appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Realy like OBJ, and he says everything you want to hear from a kid that age, with that potential...

“It is a big jump, even to the AHL,†Bjorkstrand said. “Junior is junior, but now I’ll be playing against men. The players are better, and the goalies are much better. There aren’t as many mistakes, it’s another level. But, I feel like I can take it.â€

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
The only question regarding Oliver's ability to play in the NHL is his size/strength. Everything else seems to translate into top line talent.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The only question regarding Oliver's ability to play in the NHL is his size/strength. Everything else seems to translate into top line talent.

Tyler Johnson says hello. More and more small players are making it in ttoday's game. I am genuinely curious to see how he looks against grown men.

thebus2288*

Can we give Tynan some credit too?

While Bjork is clearly the superior offensive talent IMO both guys are very quick, while being very solid on their skates, and also very intelligent . While I agree "size" may affect their overall "ceilings" I don't think EITHER guy's size will hold them back from being long time NHL players.

I really think Tynan has a chance for the 3rd center spot in camp. Its a spot that's definitely more open than any "top 9" wing spot IMO.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015

I really think Tynan has a chance for the 3rd center spot in camp. Its a spot that's definitely more open than any "top 9" wing spot IMO.

I disagree. I do not believe 4 years at Notre Dame will top Wennberg's skill and experience.

thebus2288*

I disagree. I do not believe 4 years at Notre Dame will top Wennberg's skill and experience.
What experience? Tynan's 4 years at a "premier" NCAA hockey program playing every role, from "rookie goalscorer" to "shutdown center" to "top line center" and 1st unit PP and PKer AND a nearly FULL season in the AHL leading his team in points, with also playing all these different type of roles IS more "experience" than Wennberg's 1 semi-good year in Sweden and the 15 games he played well for us last year.

I mean could you elaborate a little more? This isn't a computer simulation where a "3rd rounder" NCAA prospect or player is not or will not be a better player than a "1st rounder", "Skilled", Swedish prospect. If that were the case we would have never even acquired Tynan.

Other than saying he and Zaar had good speed, this is literally the "best" thing you could say about Tynan, in all of your write-ups...

"When they skated out for the opening face off, I thought TJ Tynan, looked small and wondered if he could center the top line. When he scored after 38 second, I thought, I should not judge a book by its cover and realize that the pros know what they are doing and I don't"

You clearly have an issue "looking past" his size. Could you please elaborate on something you saw during the games that he had problems with, BECAUSE of his size?

I'll wait.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

While Bjork is clearly the superior offensive talent IMO both guys are very quick, while being very solid on their skates, and also very intelligent . While I agree "size" may affect their overall "ceilings" I don't think EITHER guy's size will hold them back from being long time NHL players.

Will you please stop overhyping a player I otherwise really like to advance your anti-Wennberg agenda? It's getting very frustrating.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
What experience? Tynan's 4 years at a "premier" NCAA hockey program playing every role, from "rookie goalscorer" to "shutdown center" to "top line center" and 1st unit PP and PKer AND a nearly FULL season in the AHL leading his team in points, with also playing all these different type of roles IS more "experience" than Wennberg's 1 semi-good year in Sweden and the 15 games he played well for us last year.

I mean could you elaborate a little more? This isn't a computer simulation where a "3rd rounder" NCAA prospect or player is not or will not be a better player than a "1st rounder", "Skilled", Swedish prospect. If that were the case we would have never even acquired Tynan.

Other than saying he and Zaar had good speed, this is literally the "best" thing you could say about Tynan, in all of your write-ups...

"When they skated out for the opening face off, I thought TJ Tynan, looked small and wondered if he could center the top line. When he scored after 38 second, I thought, I should not judge a book by its cover and realize that the pros know what they are doing and I don't"

You clearly have an issue "looking past" his size. Could you please elaborate on something you saw during the games that he had problems with, BECAUSE of his size?

I'll wait.

This is hilarious. If nothing, it's interesting to watch the genesis of a whipping boy in someone's mind. I'm not sure why Wennberg has earned your ire, but the idea that Tynan would (or should?) beat him out is a reach, to put it kindly.

free advice: This whole line of posts of yours over the last little while reminds me of Susan Sarandon's character in Bull Durham. Instead of picking a player each season to 'show the ropes', you take a contrary position on a player that is far outside of anyone else and bang on it as often as you can. It's goofy. There are ways to have interesting discussions and takes without constantly assuming the 'me vs the world' attitude. Give 'er a try sometime.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

Tynan's a year away optimistically, I give Rychel a much better shot at sticking this season. Tynan got his feet wet in the AHL last season, now he needs to take his game to the next level there before he'll be ready to play here.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
It will be interesting to see how Bjorkstrand has improved since last year. He did not look all that great with NHLers in last year's training camp.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
This is hilarious. If nothing, it's interesting to watch the genesis of a whipping boy in someone's mind. I'm not sure why Wennberg has earned your ire, but the idea that Tynan would (or should?) beat him out is a reach, to put it kindly.

free advice: This whole line of posts of yours over the last little while reminds me of Susan Sarandon's character in Bull Durham. Instead of picking a player each season to 'show the ropes', you take a contrary position on a player that is far outside of anyone else and bang on it as often as you can. It's goofy. There are ways to have interesting discussions and takes without constantly assuming the 'me vs the world' attitude. Give 'er a try sometime.

Took me a while to get the connection to SS's character but now I see. :laugh:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
:huh: Not following the duo part. One's a forward and one's a defenseman.

Ist off I mean't to quote Jacketfan - not Nanabijou.. please pardon the mistake:

Jacketfan?

Are you possibly mixing up the names of Oliver Bjorkstrand a forward & Olivier LeBlanc an offensive defenseman?

I am rooting for both players to make it to the CBJ eventually - but Bjork is very close & LeBlanc still has a ways to go. Fingers crossed my friend

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad