2015 Playoff Talk

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Nichushkin and Nemeth coming back and both hungry to play can be great for us on the verge of post-season. also I'm pretty stoked about Enroth. He not only brings competition to Kari but he'll help us answer a lot of questions about Mike Valley. If Enroth regresses that should be a big bright red flag for Nill to can Valley.

In a twisted way, I hope this happens. Obviously, I'd prefer we make the playoffs AND fire Valley, but anyway. What more can be said when it comes the writing on the wall with Valley's ineffectiveness?

Since he's been on Dallas' watch, we've had Auld, Raycroft, Bachman, Ellis, Nilstorp, Thomas, Lindback, and Rynnas. We know for a fact Valley has a say in free agent signings. So surely he has a say in what goalies we draft. Except for Rosy, have we developed anyone worth a damn? Thanks to Razor, Kari is his big success story but Kari's average SV% through his four significant seasons with Atanta was .911. In Dallas, it's been .915. Valley has written a self help book for goalies (that Enroth has endorsed on Twitter: ruh roh) which makes me think he's more interested in reclamation projects (his explicit logic with signing Lindback) than guys with actual pedigree, and success. Valley is garbage. Even by the weird abstract measure of a goalie coach's value. Plain and simple.

Back on topic, I do think this is a playoff team. I don't know what the numbers look like, historically, but I can't imagine many teams sporting a combined .874 SV % (!!) from their goaltenders and getting as far as the Stars have still a handful of points out of a playoff spot with 28 games left in the toughest division in the league. Just look at Nashville and Winnipeg last season; good teams struck by bad goaltending. None of this absolves the defense of its help contributing to those awful numbers, but it has certainly improved from the basement, to the steps in the basement.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Enroth endorsing book Valley is involved with should not worry anyone. It's a collaborative effort, and Valley is setting up a network connecting goalies ... many of his contacts are from Europe. I've seen a ton of European goalies pimping the book and the network.

They're trying to help as many people as possible. Whether his side project is distracting him from his day job or not ... who knows ... but my guess the Enroth connection originates from Europe not directly from Valley.

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
I agree with this point very much! I think you're onto something!

I mean, I have to imagine Nill either didn't like the prices when he was looking or couldn't suss out the right situations.. he's not a LegendaryGM™ for nothing. For instance, if his options for the Phaneuf trade are terrible right now and he doesn't pull the trigger and we all freak out. Or maybe it all stems from waiting for our injured talent to come back?

*I hate not knowing, but i grasp that it isn't for me to know. :\
**also.. totally preaching to the choir/stating the obvious/sharing the anxiety :D

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Enroth endorsing book Valley is involved with should not worry anyone. It's a collaborative effort, and Valley is setting up a network connecting goalies ... many of his contacts are from Europe. I've seen a ton of European goalies pimping the book and the network.

They're trying to help as many people as possible. Whether his side project is distracting him from his day job or not ... who knows ... but my guess the Enroth connection originates from Europe not directly from Valley.

Was just being facetious with the Valley connection, which has been tantamount to Medusa's stare lately.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
I agree! Playoffs would be huge for this team! We would be the number one sports team in Dallas if that happened!

Can you imagine?!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad