OT: 2015 Ottawa Music Festival and Concerts Thread

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Its that time of year again when the festival rumours start for the summer shows. I'm starting this thread a little early this year because the first Bluesfest rumour is now out in the open.

Bluesfest this year runs from July 9 - 19.

The Foo Fighters have just announced their tour but have only announced arena shows and not festival appearances. The Foos play Toronto on July 9th, then don't have anything until NYC on the 15th. They have announced stadium shows in Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver, but nothing in Ottawa or Montreal.

Incidentally, they are also free during Osheaga (July 31st - Aug 2nd) and remain in the area.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Death From Above 1979 is coming to the Bronson Centre in late January.

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
Nickelback
Taylor Swift
One Direction
Florida Georgia Line
Dierks Bentley
Randy Houser
Neil Diamond

Ottawa da place to be.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Its that time of year again when the festival rumours start for the summer shows. I'm starting this thread a little early this year because the first Bluesfest rumour is now out in the open.

Bluesfest this year runs from July 9 - 19.

The Foo Fighters have just announced their tour but have only announced arena shows and not festival appearances. The Foos play Toronto on July 9th, then don't have anything until NYC on the 15th. They have announced stadium shows in Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver, but nothing in Ottawa or Montreal.

Incidentally, they are also free during Osheaga (July 31st - Aug 2nd) and remain in the area.

The Foos have only announced part of their NA tour so far. I'm hopefull there will be an Ottawa show, but I'm sure there will be a Montreal date at some point. What's interesting is that they play Toronto around July 9 and then have a week off before they play in NYC. Maybe a spot at Bluesfest?

Evil Crow

Jul 18, 2010
I have almost no hope Foo Fighters will play Bluesfest. They've never spent even close to the kind of money I imagine that would cost.

I think a huge outdoor TD_Place Foo Fighters concert would be more likely.

I'd love to be wrong here, but there is no precedent. Every year there are a couple of huge bands in the area that make a lot of sense but that Bluesfest doesn't book.

littleD

"Major" show calendar for Ottawa, plus Kingston and Montreal. If someone is playing in all three cities, just the Ottawa show is listed.

November 29 - Sam Roberts Band, K-Rock Centre(Kingston)
December 2 - Dierks Bentley, Canadian Tire Centre
December 12 - Hunter Hayes, K-Rock Centre(Kingston)
January 19 - Sam Smith, Bell Centre(Montreal)
February 5 - Fleetwood Mac, Bell Centre(Montreal)
February 7 - Cracking Up the Capital Comedy Festival, TD Place
February 17 - Nickelback, Canadian Tire Centre
February 19 - Florida Georgia Line, Canadian Tire Centre
February 20 - Bryan Adams, Canadian Tire Centre
February 24 - Chris Brown w/Trey Songz, Bell Centre(Montreal)
March 3 - ZZ Top, K-Rock Centre(Kingston)
March 7 - Neil Diamond, Canadian Tire Centre
April 14 - The Tragically Hip, K-Rock Centre(Kingston)
May 13 - Volbeat w/ Anthrax, TD Place
July 6 - Taylor Swift, Canadian Tire Centre
September 8 - One Direction, Canadian Tire Centre
September 10 - One Direction, TD Place

littleD

The Folk Festival has a new venue and a new name.

The 2015 edition of the Ottawa Folk Festival will have a slick new name and an urban home to mark the start of its third decade of existence. CityFolk will take place at Lansdowne Park from Sept. 17-20.

The move to the newly revamped Bank Street landmark comes after four years of butting heads with Mother Nature at the lush, green Hog’s Back Park site. Though spacious and picturesque, the National Capital Commission park was never designed for large events, noted festival director Mark Monahan in an interview.

“It really is a difficult site to manage when you have any kind of precipitation,” Monahan said, recalling the muck that developed at Hog’s Back when it rained. “There’s no water or power or service roads. Just basic servicing of toilets and vendors is extremely difficult. It is a beautiful location but problematic in many ways for a larger event.”

At the Lansdowne Park site, the Cityfolk main stage will be located on the Great Lawn, the expanse of green space next to the TD Place football stadium. The festival will also make use of the Aberdeen Pavilion, the Horticulture Building and likely some of the other public spaces, but not the stadium. No big jump in attendance is expected; capacity of the new site is estimated at about 15,000 people.

Of course, moving the festival to the heart of the city may spark a flurry of noise complaints from nearby residents, especially considering the fest was charged this year after complaints during the opening-night concert by Foster the People. To deal with the issue in the new site, organizers say they will be mindful of the direction the main stage faces, and are considering the idea of presenting concerts earlier in the evening so the music is finished by 10 p.m. Monahan said he hopes to further discuss the city’s noise bylaw with Capital ward Coun. David Chernushenko in the new year.

http://ottawacitizen.com/entertainm...e-for-ottawa-folk-festival-cityfolk-lansdowne

FireMurray

Dec 8, 2014
Folk Festival is basically a second Blues Festival at this point, right? Not complaining at all, but just find it interesting that it's taking an identical trajectory as the latter.

Shouldn't be surprising considering its the same people running both. Gotta give it to Monahan he's transformed Ottawa's music/festival scene drastically.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Of course, moving the festival to the heart of the city may spark a flurry of noise complaints from nearby residents, especially considering the fest was charged this year after complaints during the opening-night concert by Foster the People. To deal with the issue in the new site, organizers say they will be mindful of the direction the main stage faces, and are considering the idea of presenting concerts earlier in the evening so the music is finished by 10 p.m. Monahan said he hopes to further discuss the city’s noise bylaw with Capital ward Coun. David Chernushenko in the new year.

I'm going to move in next to this giant stadium.

WHAT'S WITH THE DAMNED NOISE AND TRAFFIC!?!?

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Just had it confirmed to me off the record that the Bluesfest lineup announcement will come in early-April, right around the usual time. It's happened much earlier a couple of times but that's not on the books this year.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
If anyone is interested in a really good Led Zeppelin cover band, Mothership is coming to Greenfields, Barrhaven in February.

Awesome band! :yo:

Lehnsanity

Oct 10, 2012
Ottawa
For any dance music fans, Escapade Music Festival (June 27th/28th) has a few people announced so far.

Armin Van Buuren
Knife Party
Carl Cox
Markus Schulz
Mark Knight
Blasterjaxx
Borgeous

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I want to travel to that Rockfest show I just need to see if any friends want to come with. It has pretty much all of my favorite ska bands playing, and some good punk and screamo bands.

littleD

Ghostface Killah, GZA and CappaDonna will be in Ottawa on April 2 at Ritual.

As with most hip hop club shows in town, ticket is $40.

Saw GZA a few years back at Ritual, paid about the same amount for just him. Damn good MC, boring-as-hell, put you to sleep live performer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad