Proposal: 2015 Offseason Trade Rumours & Proposals | Part IX - Drunk Uncle Denis' Den

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Hah, I approve of this thread name.

9620930b532a95349d6774882a4f0c94.jpg

Welcome, everyone.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Should Lazar start in the AHL, or NHL this year?

Playing on the first line in Bingo may help him develop his offensive game better than being on the 3rd/4th line in Ottawa.

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan

Playing on the first line in Bingo may help him develop his offensive game better than being on the 3rd/4th line in Ottawa.

Yes, please. Start him in the AHL so that he can build some confidence and maybe he'll find his pro game more quickly.

bornNraised Sens

Apr 8, 2014
If someone in camp outplays him who hasn't had a chance in the NHL or is not waiver exempt, then yea wouldn't mind seeing him going down to the AHL.
If he comes to camp and truly earns a 3rd line, or higher, start and a more offence based role than last year then he should stay, but it all comes down to how he and several players he is competing against do in camp.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I just dont see it happening unless he has a horrible training camp or slacks this off season.

As positive as he is I dont think this helps his development, confidence is a fragile thing especially for younger players. Plus Puemple is eligible... Remember when Lazar agreed to go to the WJC, it was only based on him coming back to the big club and not getting sent down to JR. He wants to be here.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Not sure about the zebra print chairs but seems like a cozy enough place to discuss.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Imo Lazar should start in the AHL. He's still very young and Prince is to good to leave in the AHL well Puempel is a player who might have a niche on the team.

I thought both Prince and Pageau had better camps last year though so the team might think the NHL is better for him

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

If he's slotted to play 3rd line or better he stays up. IMO he would develop more in the A vs playing 4th line minutes with Smith and Chiasson. There is a little log jam at the outset. He is a hockey player. If he misses showing he belongs on the 3rd line at training camp he needs to improve.

If he clearly belongs he stays up but not to play 4th line.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

100% NHL. How would scoring in a weaker league against weaker opponents with weaker linemates mean anything in the NHL? He already did that in junior.

This is a silly idea people want to explore for some fantasy basis.

Guys get sent to the AHL to deal with the physicality of playing with men, to learn more sophisticated systems, to learn how to be responsible defensively. Not to learn how to score. So Lazar can learn how to pass to guys that can't score and learn how to take a pass from a guy that can't pass well?
Pageau is a better passer and offensive player then anyone in Bingo.

Also Lazar is a THIRD LINER. Not a bubble player. Twice he was put on the "4th" line and both times that line became the 3rd line in a matter of games. He might have been the lesser player on both lines... But Condra is gone. He is now the 8th or 9th best Senator forward. In icetime. In any usage metric. He does not play sheltered minutes. He plays vs the best lines of the other team often. He was not scratched in the playoffs.

There is no way at all he is sent to the AHL. He also is likely to improve the most of any forward because he is the youngest and least experienced of any forward.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
100% NHL. How would scoring in a weaker league against weaker opponents with weaker linemates mean anything in the NHL? He already did that in junior.

This is a silly idea people want to explore for some fantasy basis.

Guys get sent to the AHL to deal with the physicality of playing with men, to learn more sophisticated systems, to learn how to be responsible defensively. Not to learn how to score. So Lazar can learn how to pass to guys that can't score and learn how to take a pass from a guy that can't pass well?
Pageau is a better passer and offensive player then anyone in Bingo.

Also Lazar is a THIRD LINER. Not a bubble player. Twice he was put on the "4th" line and both times that line became the 3rd line in a matter of games. He might have been the lesser player on both lines... But Condra is gone. He is now the 8th or 9th best Senator forward. In icetime. In any usage metric. He does not play sheltered minutes. He plays vs the best lines of the other team often. He was not scratched in the playoffs.

There is no way at all he is sent to the AHL. He also is likely to improve the most of any forward because he is the youngest and least experienced of any forward.

The AHL is a developmental league for the NHL. Lazar will likely fit into the top 9 on the third line, but I do not agree with the suggestion that Lazar or similar players of that age (19-21) would not develop offensive parts of their game in the AHL. Compare 4th line minutes with Chiasson and Smith to 1st Line in Bingo w PP time, PK time , Leadership. Players have been rushed into the NHL before and it has stunted their growth and upside.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
The AHL is a developmental league for the NHL. Lazar will likely fit into the top 9 on the third line, but I do not agree with the suggestion that Lazar or similar players of that age (19-21) would not develop offensive parts of their game in the AHL. Compare 4th line minutes with Chiasson and Smith to 1st Line in Bingo w PP time, PK time , Leadership. Players have been rushed into the NHL before and it has stunted their growth and upside.

I remember watching one of those AHL games in Ottawa. Watched Bobby Butler intently all game. He was world's better then the other players on Bingo. The game was kinda horrible to watch. Broken plays. Passes not getting anywhere for both teams. Not fun like junior hockey, because mostly both teams played sound defensively, there weren't breakdowns much... Just robotic play from both teams. Butler got several chances blown by his stonehanded linemates.

Clearly I don't watch a ton of AHL hockey... But it is like watching 4th liners who can't do anything offensively play against each other. Occaisionally good players will do something and create a chance, blown by their stonehanded linemates.

If Pageau, Prince, probably Puempel, probably Wideman are in the AHL... What skill players are going to help Lazar develop offensively? So he can try to score off passes by bad linemates? So he can pass to guys that can't do anything? How is he to learn to play with the more creative players in Ottawa if he is playing with Robotic 4th liners in the AHL?

What he needs to learn... To dominate offensively... He won't in Bingo. If he is 4th line centre or 3rd line RWer he is going to play with better players here. Zack Smith, Pageau, Michalek, Puempel and Prince are all better then basically anyone in Bingo will be offensively. Even Zack Smith. If the Sens want to really develop Lazar put him back on a line with Hoffman and Stone on occassion. Spot him into the 2nd PP at times. Let Pageau and Lazar see what they can do with a more offensive minded LWer then Condra. Be it Michalek, Prince or Puempel. He won't learn anything playing with minor league players.

I saw Lazar as a centre matched up vs Sydney Freaking Crosby for all defensive zone faceoffs in a 1 goal game in the third period... Earlier in the year. There were several faceoffs. He was a wash vs Crosby and held him in check. Then he was 19 years old.

You don't send that guy to the freaking AHL! A guy you trust as a centre to stop Crosby, that you repeatedly put him out there to face the best player in the world defensively... In the third of a 1 goal game?!?! Lazar is a beast. If it takes him awhile to start to score then it is not a big deal. We are talking about how good he is as an NHL player... Not how good he is in a fantasy draft offensively.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I remember watching one of those AHL games in Ottawa. Watched Bobby Butler intently all game. He was world's better then the other players on Bingo. The game was kinda horrible to watch. Broken plays. Passes not getting anywhere for both teams. Not fun like junior hockey, because mostly both teams played sound defensively, there weren't breakdowns much... Just robotic play from both teams. Butler got several chances blown by his stonehanded linemates.

Clearly I don't watch a ton of AHL hockey... But it is like watching 4th liners who can't do anything offensively play against each other. Occaisionally good players will do something and create a chance, blown by their stonehanded linemates.

If Pageau, Prince, probably Puempel, probably Wideman are in the AHL... What skill players are going to help Lazar develop offensively? So he can try to score off passes by bad linemates? So he can pass to guys that can't do anything? How is he to learn to play with the more creative players in Ottawa if he is playing with Robotic 4th liners in the AHL?

What he needs to learn... To dominate offensively... He won't in Bingo. If he is 4th line centre or 3rd line RWer he is going to play with better players here. Zack Smith, Pageau, Michalek, Puempel and Prince are all better then basically anyone in Bingo will be offensively. Even Zack Smith. If the Sens want to really develop Lazar put him back on a line with Hoffman and Stone on occassion. Spot him into the 2nd PP at times. Let Pageau and Lazar see what they can do with a more offensive minded LWer then Condra. Be it Michalek, Prince or Puempel. He won't learn anything playing with minor league players.

I saw Lazar as a centre matched up vs Sydney Freaking Crosby for all defensive zone faceoffs in a 1 goal game in the third period... Earlier in the year. There were several faceoffs. He was a wash vs Crosby and held him in check. Then he was 19 years old.

You don't send that guy to the freaking AHL! A guy you trust as a centre to stop Crosby, that you repeatedly put him out there to face the best player in the world defensively... In the third of a 1 goal game?!?! Lazar is a beast. If it takes him awhile to start to score then it is not a big deal. We are talking about how good he is as an NHL player... Not how good he is in a fantasy draft offensively.

I honestly still believe Lazar ends up being a huge steal.

He's the exact kind of player that you win with. His offense is going to come, and it wouldnt suprise me if he somehow made his way into the top 6 by the end of this year or next.

Or if we find he's better suited to center, he will be firmly cemented as the 3rd line center and be receiving lots of minutes and responsibilities.

Either way, I think we still have a real gem here, and that a lot of people here have sold him short recently.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Not commenting on our moderator... And is that really Denis Potvin's den?

My brother is a rich entrepreneur. He is looking at really nice houses in Ottawa now... He calls me today and says he talked to a neighbour of a house he looked at and that "Gord" guy, voice of the Sens that played for the Islanders... Lived in the house we looked at. I am like that's Potvin not Gord....

Anyway... With this den motif. The thread title Drunk Uncle Denis, my brother's random call this afternoon and my thoughts that seeing that den make me think of the Dos whatever beer commercials...

I nominate Denis Potvin as the most interesting man in the world!!!! Or at least the most interesting Ottawan in the world! Who would you rather listen to talk about his life stories that is from Ottawa? Who is smart and engaging but seems like a nice guy... But is just better then you or anyone else at virtually everything... But doesn't need to even act like it at all? Who owned Wayne Gretzky in a Cup final? Short list that includes... Only Patrick Roy (another most interesting nominee!)

I say bring back Denis! I miss him on TV. I don't need great play by play. Everytime he said stuff I actually learned things about the game. Despite being a long time fan that needs no commentary.

Who would you rather have a beer or Whisky with then Denis Potvin? What other 60 year old could still beat the piss out of anyone in any bar that acted like an arse?

Could you not believe that was Potvin's den?

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
I miss Denis Potvin. The TSN guys seem to take themselves too seriously a lot of the time. It also took them longer than I wanted to truly learn about the team and players. Hopefully it will improve this season but I'm not holding out hope that Jamie Maclennan will offer stories or insights as intriguing as one of the greatest defenders to play the game used to do on a nightly basis.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Since this is a trade thread and half the posts have been about a player starting in the nhl or ahl this year and the other half are about a googled picture of a den, I will try to steer us back on track. Who is a realistic target for our D core? Philly seems like they might be tight now, perhaps Andrew MacDonald could be a target?

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Murray said he wants to add forward, so if we add a D, I think a UFA from chump team at trade deadline could work

BigBush*

Since this is a trade thread and half the posts have been about a player starting in the nhl or ahl this year and the other half are about a googled picture of a den, I will try to steer us back on track. Who is a realistic target for our D core? Philly seems like they might be tight now, perhaps Andrew MacDonald could be a target?

No top 4 really available right now.

If we are going to target a Dman, hopefully its someone elite who can help take us to the next level.

I'd love Edler on the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig