Proposal: 2015 Offseason Trade Rumours and Proposals | Part II "Andy vs Lehner" Sens Civil War

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
2015 Offseason Trade Rumours & Proposals II: "Andy vs Lehner" Sens Civil War Edition

Old thread was past due for being closed.

*edit*
or merge with Kezia's thread too. Either way.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Huh?

And what if packaging a Greening frees up money to sign a UFA we wouldn't normally have gotten?

Buy him out or throw him in the minors his cap hit will be a non factor towards a UFA. Why would we even worry about a UFA this offseason? They all suck.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I can't believe Greening has 2 more years on his contract.

We are just going to be stuck with him. He has next to no value.

The only way he gets traded is if Murray takes another bad contract back, just like how the Leafs traded Clarkson for Horton.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
It's been this way for years, dude. Not sure why it's only getting to you now.

It sucks, but it is what it is. This is the life of being a fan of a budget team.

Ya I know, We lost out on Alfie for this crap too. There has to be a point where enough is enough with Melnyk knowing he isn't financially capable of owning a NHL club or a point where we can get GM who knows how to work with in a budget and not offer generous contracts to players on small sample sizes.

:cry::cry::cry:

It sucks seeing Toronto pulling off Clarkson type ****, and getting away with no consequences. Then you see Ottawa and losing value on their assets because of a easily buy out contract like Greenings.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
People are getting way too emotional by making up scenarios in their head where we could have gotten a 2nd for Lehner, but instead we trade him for a box of those ugly third jerseys that the Sabres retired because Buffalo agrees to take Greening.

If that happens, get upset. But if Lehner is a desirable piece, and two rebuilding teams want him, having to take Greening's contract will not effect the return because they both will agree to do it to compete with each other and get Lehner.

Think of it like this. If a team has cap space over the next few years, and they aren't a budget team. Taking on Greening and paying him 2.6 to play as the 12th-14th forward or in the AHL has absolutely no consequence. It doesn't matter.

Now, if only one team wants Lehner, that changes things. But that doesn't look to be the case. Murray saying he might take a little less doesn't sound that dramatic. To put things in perspective, Ottawa apparently gave up a 5th to have Edmonton retain on Hemsky.....that is what I might imagine a little less to be.

WhiteLight*

If Melnyk says no, it is that ****ing hard.

Sucks being a budget team. We are a bean-counting team... burying salary in the minors and buying players out still comes out of team finances.

Buyout means you pay 2/3 of the contract, no?

If so, Eugene needs some math lessons.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I doubt this is Murray's call.

My understanding is Melnyk gave Cyril and Bryan the authority to run the Senators when he fell ill, so I think Bryan is making the hockey decisions.

I have no doubt there is a budget number for next season, but Bryan is deciding what players he wants and where he is going to spend the money.

So I can understand him not wanting to buyout any contract if he can find a better path going forward, but it doesn't mean he won't either.

From what I have read today, Bryan might be prepared to take a little less in return for one of his goaltenders if another GM was willing to take a contract he doesn't want.

IMO there is nothing wrong with that approach, yet people are already panicking!

Fact is the Senators have too many players and if Bryan doesn't find a creative way to get rid of the less desirable ones it will be impossible to add anything much less a top six forward. and run potentially risk losing Prince for nothing.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Lehner+Greening+our 4th round pick to Buffalo for 31st overall.

We save almost 5 million in cap, and own the 18th, 31st, 42nd, and 48th overall picks in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad