Salary Cap: 2015 Off-season Roster Building VI - Because We Can't All Be Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I really don't see Kunitz being that hard to move.

His contract isn't that huge, he's got cup winning pedigree with two teams and he's not far removed from being very productive.

Lack of obvious candidates to backfill him is the chief problem I see with the prospect of moving Kunitz. I'd very much like to get whatever we can for him, but I could understand the prospect of having to pencil Comeau or, like, Zlobin back in that 1 or 2 LW slot as something that would be cause for cold feet.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
We had great powerplays without a right handed one timer though. We had two great left handed one timers in Geno and Gonchar though. Not to mention Gonchar's slapshot was a legitimate threat when he had the puck too, not just on the one timer. That's what I think we are missing. Everybody can overplay pass against us because nobody has a great shot once they have possession of the puck. We rely entirely too much on going around the goalie with difficult passes instead of beating him outright.

I hate to say it because I still like the trade, but James Neal was probably the most important player on our powerplay while he was here. If not most important, he was definitely more important than the 2nd of either Geno or Sid. Either one of Sid or Geno with Neal is more dangerous than Sid and Geno together. The way Hornqvist can help is to turn mediocre scoring chances into good scoring chances by being in the goalies face. Neal could turn a mediocre scoring chance into a great one on his own, but Hornqvist can turn 4 other guy's chances into good ones. But if nobody can or will shoot the puck in that situation, he's largely wasted in that role.

That's not to say a right handed one timer wouldn't be great. I just don't think its at the top of the list of what is wrong with the powerplay.

Just let Pouliot QB the PP. He has the patience, discretion, playmaking, and willingness to shoot that we need.

Tell Letang to suck it up and do what he can on the 2nd unit. For the good of the team.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Lack of obvious candidates to backfill him is the chief problem I see with the prospect of moving Kunitz. I'd very much like to get whatever we can for him, but I could understand the prospect of having to pencil Comeau or, like, Zlobin back in that 1 or 2 LW slot as something that would be cause for cold feet.

Nothing's as scary as the prospect of Kunitz coming back, continuing to play like ass, and still getting spoon-fed prime icetime while the org cries protracted iron deficiency.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
We all know that Reilly will choose Chicago.

Either them or Minnesota but it won't be anyone else, which is fine.

Did anyone mention Yohe's insider?

He said Rutherford isn't afraid to go after RFA's as long as it follows the CBA, Yohe asked JR about Saad, obviously he can't talk about players playing for other teams but he said if there is a move that will make us better, they'll do it.

The Penguins are watching the Hawks and Lightning and see 4 scoring lines, JR said that's what we need. We need that balance, and we didn't have it.

Yohe also said what many of us hope for and I believe to be true. Expect Scuderi, Kunitz and Sutter off the Penguins. They'll be playing on different teams come October/

Negotiations have started with Ian Cole.

Jim Rutherford still wants two top 6 wingers this off-season.

Just a summary, obviously I know many of you won't subscribe to them, so I figured I'd post it but not bother linking it as non-subscribers probably can't read it anyways.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

He said Rutherford isn't afraid to go after RFA's as long as it follows the CBA, Yohe asked JR about Saad, obviously he can't talk about players playing for other teams but he said if there is a move that will make us better, they'll do it.

The Penguins are watching the Hawks and Lightning and see 4 scoring lines, JR said that's what we need. We need that balance, and we didn't have it.

Yohe also said what many of us hope for and I believe to be true. Expect Scuderi, Kunitz and Sutter off the Penguins. They'll be playing on different teams come October/

Just a summary, obviously I know many of you won't subscribe to them, so I figured I'd post it but not bother linking it as non-subscribers probably can't read it anyways.

Does the team have the picks to send out an RFA offer sheet to Saad?

I would offer him 5.5m/yr.

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
Last year they wanted three scoring lines. This year it seems to be four. I think even two would be nice. Or one, if we're talking about the playoffs.

penguins2946*

People just need to stop talking about Saad. There is absolutely no way we can acquire him until at least he hits unrestricted free agency. It's nothing more than a yinzer pipe dream that will never happen.

We don't have the picks to do that.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

We can't do 5.5 because we don't have our second. We'd need to stay within the first and third range unless we get that back. That range tops out at $5,478,986

People just need to stop talking about Saad. There is absolutely no way we can acquire him until at least he hits unrestricted free agency. It's nothing more than a yinzer pipe dream that will never happen.

Isn't that the point of this thread? Most of it is things that probably won't happen. Many here have suggested offer sheeting rfas, and now that idea is being proposed by the media as well with Rutherford not denying the idea. Of course it's going to be talked about.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
I keep seeing people saying we need to draft better and get younger. I don't think that would change this organization because they don't know how to devolop players. I think their philosophy for devoloping players is flawed and until they fix that they'll have to keep signing FA's. Maybe it will get better but the draft menas NOTHING if you can't properly devolop players. You will only find a Matta so often. Bennett couldve been top 6 player or top 9 but we won't know because they don't know how to devolop players. Or worse.......they don't want to......they rather have experience smh

sexyllama

May 18, 2010

It's a good thing JR talks alot... and Yohe makes a lot of **** up.

Maybe JR should read the compensation rules for former employees, or brush up on relative trade values, or maybe quit acting like he'll somehow turn water into wine.

How in the #$)@ are we going to sign a Restricted FA when he traded away all of our picks? So, we are going to trade 2-3 players (many of ours have zero value) to get a #1 and #3 so we can get a good RFA?

He got fleeced on Despres who would have brought in a young but decent forward with upside( that would have been one top 6.) Just like he got less when he traded NEAL, 40 goal scorer and we got Horny and Spaling. I'm pretty sure every GM is waiting for a call from JR.. Mr. Give the other team value.

How's he going to get the other? Harrington? DP? We have zero depth in Forwards and Defensemen because we have 2 leaving...

My take is they are both full of crap and unfortunately one of them is the GM of the Pens.

He sounds exactly the same as last year. He'll gut our draft picks and erode what little Defensemen we have left for trash like Lovejoy. Awesome!

Last edited:

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
It's a good thing JR talks alot... and Yohe makes a lot of **** up.

Maybe JR should read the compensation rules for former employees, or brush up on relative trade values, or maybe quit acting like he'll somehow turn water into wine.

How in the #$)@ are we going to sign a Restricted FA when he traded away all of our picks? So, we are going to trade 2-3 players (many of ours have zero value) to get a #1 and #3 so we can get a good RFA?

He got fleeced on Despres who would have brought in a young but decent forward with upside( that would have been one top 6.) Just like he got less when he traded NEAL, 40 goal scorer and we got Horny and Spaling. I'm pretty sure every GM is waiting for a call from JR.. Mr. Give the other team value.

How's he going to get the other? Harrington? DP? We have zero depth in Forwards and Defensemen because we have 2 leaving...

My take is they are both full of crap and unfortunately one of them is the GM of the Pens.

He sounds exactly the same as last year. He'll gut our draft picks and erode what little Defensemen we have left for trash like Lovejoy. Awesome!

Actually we would only need to get the 2nd back that we traded to Toronto in next year's draft. We can't sign other teams RFAs until a few days after the 2015 draft is over, so the picks that count are next year's.

Still I don't think we'll try and sign an RFA, but would be thrilled if we do as it would show some real creativity in our front office.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Perron was a second line winger on one of the worst team(EDM).Third liner on cup contenders imo.

David Perron has produced like a 2nd line winger every year of his career other than his rookie year. That includes when he was on some pretty mediocre Blues teams.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Just let Pouliot QB the PP. He has the patience, discretion, playmaking, and willingness to shoot that we need.

Tell Letang to suck it up and do what he can on the 2nd unit. For the good of the team.

Well there are 2 D spots. I don't think we have a better option than Letang on the other point.

It's not that Kunitz is hard to move, it's that the team doesn't want to move him.

Absolutely.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Right, just like the team has told crosby to suck it up and that he doesn't always have to skate with a speedy north south guy.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
The difference being that I think Letang may be happy to have someone else QB the powerplay while he played the other point.

Id hope so. The guy supposedly studies the most tape out of anyone on the team, you'd think he has realized "hey I suck at qbing the pp" by now. Our maybe the amazing student of the game mj could realize this.

penguins2946*

Isn't that the point of this thread? Most of it is things that probably won't happen. Many here have suggested offer sheeting rfas, and now that idea is being proposed by the media as well with Rutherford not denying the idea. Of course it's going to be talked about.

We don't have the picks to offer sheet him at any more than a shade over $5 million (the compensation floor for 1st, 2nd and 3rd decreased from $5.4 million to slightly over $5 million), and Chicago would match anything in that range easily. We'd need to throw him an offer sheet at around $7 million for Chicago not to match, which we don't have the picks to do. It's just not going to happen, it's not a possible situation unless we someone can trade for our 2nd back.

YeeYee

Mar 3, 2011
Illinois
We don't have the picks to offer sheet him at any more than a shade over $5 million (the compensation floor for 1st, 2nd and 3rd decreased from $5.4 million to slightly over $5 million), and Chicago would match anything in that range easily. We'd need to throw him an offer sheet at around $7 million for Chicago not to match, which we don't have the picks to do. It's just not going to happen, it's not a possible situation unless we someone can trade for our 2nd back.

i honestly think 6 mil get its done, thats just my opinion though. dont see how chicago can pay him 6. If serious about it, the Pens would probably offer 5.47 at term and see what happens.

penguins2946*

i honestly think 6 mil get its done, thats just my opinion though. dont see how chicago can pay him 6. If serious about it, the Pens would probably offer 5.47 at term and see what happens.

But we can't offer the picks for that. The compensation got revamped for this year, now the new max for a 1st and a 3rd rounder is $5,046,585. We can't go any higher than that, and Chicago would most definitely match that. They'd probably thank us for doing their job of working out a fair and long term deal with Saad.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I keep seeing people saying we need to draft better and get younger. I don't think that would change this organization because they don't know how to devolop players. I think their philosophy for devoloping players is flawed and until they fix that they'll have to keep signing FA's. Maybe it will get better but the draft menas NOTHING if you can't properly devolop players. You will only find a Matta so often. Bennett couldve been top 6 player or top 9 but we won't know because they don't know how to devolop players. Or worse.......they don't want to......they rather have experience smh

Well that's another problem, a bit of money will have to be invested in the scouting staff and development program. A lot of teams have done this in the last couple of years, we have simply given some key roles to " friends "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad