2015 NHL Offseason Thread III (current news, expansion, trade rumors, free agency) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Benning keeps building on his own legacy :laugh:.

Thank you for makin' the Pens better. Seriously, what was his intention to make the deal? I don't get it.

SchennSational1022*

Pens bottom six looks better than in years past.

But their defense looks worse than it has in a very long time. Amazing how they went from having a great NHL D with a great cupboard of D prospects to nothing now besides Pouliot.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Ugh, agreed. The Pens already had the best, or at least one of the best, top 9, and with these moves they really solidify the entire forward corps. Their defense is not the greatest, but if Letang stays healthy and Maatta lives up to the promises, it's not that bad, either.

SchennSational1022*

Ugh, agreed. The Pens already had the best, or at least one of the best, top 9, and with these moves they really solidify the entire forward corps. Their defense is not the greatest, but if Letang stays healthy and Maatta lives up to the promises, it's not that bad, either.

It doesn't matter how good Maatta is, I'd bet my house and life savings Letang gets hurt like he usually does.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It's not that bad but Pittsburgh takes the advantage here.

I doubt Clendening becomes a factor in this trade as he very well could be on the waiver wire next year. I don't get why Benning traded for him in the first place. I would take Bonino over Sutter though.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Bonino is a flake and Clendening is **** too. Sutter works hard both ends of the rink and popped 21 last year. Wash trade IMO.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Great day for Pittsburgh. Rutherford has had a nice summer for them overall. They gave up less than expected for Kessel and this is just a fleecing of Vancouver.

Benning is getting a reputation as one of the worst GMs in the league in no time at all.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Benning always seems to overpay. He's not really good at asset management.
This trade also makes the Kesler trade look worse.

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas
Bonino might bring more offense, but Sutter is the superior skater and defensive player.

I disagree but I guess the case could be made either way.

Regardless, could you imagine if the Pens had kept Despres too? Man, they're looking dangerous now. Obviously I'm not going to complain about the Lovejoy trade at all though.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Solid moves by the Pens but I don't think I'd call it a fleecing. Sutter is a good two-way guy who can put up some points. Bonino is as well but I'd take Sutter over him every day of the week. Bonino's best attribute is his low cap hit so it makes sense for the Pens, I'm just not sure it makes them any better. Clendening is on his third team since being drafted and has not looked particularly impressive at any point, so adding him I don't think does all that much, and adding a 2nd is good but again nothing earth-shattering especially when they also traded a third. Not a bad move but I don't think either team really "won" on paper. Clearing cap is the biggest "win" for Pitt.

I also like the people saying Sutter sucks. He put up similar points to what Raffl did (whom people apparently believe is a top line LW...or at least is a good option there) while playing third line minutes and leading his team in PK time (the second or third best PK in the league IIRC).

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I disagree but I guess the case could be made either way.

Regardless, could you imagine if the Pens had kept Despres too? Man, they're looking dangerous now. Obviously I'm not going to complain about the Lovejoy trade at all though.

Despres wasn't turning into anything fast with the Pens. It was good for his career to get him out of there.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The picks aren't originally owned by the two teams. Vancouver will receive Buffalo's & Pittsburgh will receive Anaheim's. So it's not really as big of difference between the two picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad