Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Entry Draft Talk

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I hope we take another defenseman this year in the 1st. I'm not wanting to draft by need, but rather just hoping that a defenseman is the BPA when we pick. I Also, it might be time to take another goalie or two in this draft. Last I checked, all of the goalies in our system are struggling. It won't solve any of our current problems, but it would be nice to have some options a few years down the road.

On that train of thought, does Mike Valley do the amateur scouting for goalies as well as the pro scouting?? We haven't drafted a keeper at that position since Smith back in 2001....yikes.

Last edited:

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
... Philippe Desrosiers isn't struggling.

He's got a .887 save percentage through the first 12 games this year? Have only watched him once this season, but I can't imagine he's been tearing it up in the games I didn't watch with numbers like that.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Those numbers aren't tearing it up in the Q but they're definitely not a sign of struggling.

Junior numbers for goalies tend to be much lower than NHL, especially in the Q.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Those numbers aren't tearing it up in the Q but they're definitely not a sign of struggling.

Junior numbers for goalies tend to be much lower than NHL, especially in the Q.

Well it doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. All that aside...we probably need a few more eggs in the goaltending basket at this point.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
While I tend to agree with you, I don't think I'd look into taking a tendy in the first 3 rounds but that's just me.

But that's because I feel comfortable with Campbell and Desrosiers.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
While I tend to agree with you, I don't think I'd look into taking a tendy in the first 3 rounds but that's just me.

Agreed. The goalies are a low-percentage draft choice to work out for you. You watched Zboril anymore? I can't watch the Q anymore now that the promotional free streaming is over. I did notice he wasn't getting a whole lot of icetime in the 2 games I watched, yet he's still putting up good #'s which is encouraging at first blush. Is he getting more icetime now? Any reason he's not getting more icetime than he is?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Haven't had the chance to catch much Sea Dogs action in the past two weeks and I probably won't for the the rest of this month and next...

School is getting a little out of hand :laugh:

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
We have enough goaltending prospects. Campbell, Desrosiers and Moran all are solid prospects and adding more will just create a logjam in Texas in a couple year. Waste of assets. Draft talented forwards and Noah Hanifin.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
We have enough goaltending prospects. Campbell, Desrosiers and Moran all are solid prospects and adding more will just create a logjam in Texas in a couple year. Waste of assets. Draft talented forwards and Noah Hanifin.

They might. But in 1 to 2 years, Campbell will either be up with the big boys or traded.

Never hurts to have a crowded cupboard, just look at our defensive prospects.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Draft talented forwards and Noah Hanifin.

I want Hanifin. I know it's never gonna happen, but I want him. There seems to be a better selection of D in this draft, so even if we don't get him, I'd probably take Kylington, Werenski, Pilon, or Roy. We'll see how they do over the rest of their draft years, but there's some promising guys on the backend this year.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
They might. But in 1 to 2 years, Campbell will either be up with the big boys or traded.

Never hurts to have a crowded cupboard, just look at our defensive prospects.

Exactly, and your probably better off having the competition for roster spots that Ruff and Nill want coming from 20-24 year old goaltenders than from late 20s and 30-somethings.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Apparently both Hanifin and Eichel are playing in a televised college game tonight. Anyone have a link to the live stream?....If not if someone is watching, please do fill me in on how they look. Thanks

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Apparently both Hanifin and Eichel are playing in a televised college game tonight. Anyone have a link to the live stream?....If not if someone is watching, please do fill me in on how they look. Thanks

NBCSN right now. Eichel looks great and he has in every game of his I've seen. Hanifin isn't always noticeable but for a 17 year old defenseman that's a good thing. He had a good stickcheck just now though.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
The majority are voting for 1st~5th place:laugh:

If they don't make the playoffs, its going to be middle tier (very mediocre place). If they do make the playoffs its going to be early low tier and mid-low tier pick.

I don't see the Stars going further than 2nd round if they make the playoffs...but again, who knows what will happen in the playoffs.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I'm in the minority but if Dallas has a top ten pick but doesn't have the 3rd you take the best guy available who's likely to be a franchise forward. Finding our home grown Joe Nieuwendyk to complement our current Modano (Seguin) is just as important as a defenseman who will take a few years and quite frankly the odds are better. If we're in that position we'd be sellers at the deadline and probably Spezza is moved, Cole, etc and it may make Eakin available to trade for the defenseman we need right now.

Trade for the experienced defender to help Oleksiak and Jokipakka, plus hopefully Klingberg then you can shelter and matchup Eichel, Strome, Barzal, Zacha, whomever as a potential blockbuster top six for years to come.

I would do dirty, nasty, illegal things to see McDavid/Eichel in Victory Green. If the price is one terrible season to clean out the trash so be it. The franchise as a whole would be much better going forward, especially if you can get a 1st round pick plus for Spezza.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
If things don't improve much, then McDavid/Eichel wouldn't be terrible compensation for a horrid season. Probably a bit too much talent on the team for that though.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
If things don't improve much, then McDavid/Eichel wouldn't be terrible compensation for a horrid season. Probably a bit too much talent on the team for that though.

We need someone like Hanifin or Kylington more than another franchise forward. Don't get me wrong...if you win the lottery, you take McDavid, maybe move Seguin for a D or something.

We need someone like Hanifin or Kylington if they really have #1 D potential as touted. Don't know quite enough about them yet to say definitively.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
If you win the lottery you keep McDavid and Seguin and fail for another season and take Sean Day.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
We need someone like Hanifin or Kylington more than another franchise forward. Don't get me wrong...if you win the lottery, you take McDavid, maybe move Seguin for a D or something.

We need someone like Hanifin or Kylington if they really have #1 D potential as touted. Don't know quite enough about them yet to say definitively.

Hanifin is good but he's not NHL ready. I think Honka could even be ready before he is. Eichel on the other hand could step into the NHL tomorrow and be a difference maker. Haven't seen enough of anyone else to have opinions on them.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX

**** no. You do not move Seguin if you win the lottery. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having two franchise centers. WTF is wrong with you? Neither Hanafin or Kylington are going to play in the NHL for a couple of years anyway. Eichel makes Eakin available or maybe Fiddler. Sell from the bottom and improve the top, not just change pieces because as much as I would love to see either McDavid or Eichel neither will be as good as Seguin next year or the year after, if ever.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
If you win the lottery you keep McDavid and Seguin and fail for another season and take Sean Day.

Sean Day is so overrated. He's big and he skates and that's the sum total of his game. Ugh, no. I'm down on being bad this year, the team is trying it's hardest to earn a top five pick but I'm not down on following that up with the same in 2016. I don't want to be Edmonton.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
**** no. You do not move Seguin if you win the lottery. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having two franchise centers. WTF is wrong with you? Neither Hanafin or Kylington are going to play in the NHL for a couple of years anyway. Eichel makes Eakin available or maybe Fiddler. Sell from the bottom and improve the top, not just change pieces because as much as I would love to see either McDavid or Eichel neither will be as good as Seguin next year or the year after, if ever.

"Wtf is wrong with me?" Wtf is wrong with you? First off we're never gonna get McDavid so chill...doesn't matter. But to humor the never-gonna-happen scenario of getting McDavid, did I say move Seguin the day we got McDavid? No. Use some common sense. If and when he could replace Seguin's production, you only have so much icetime and money to distribute to forwards. We need defense...direly. You take from a position of excess(we already have one of the best offenses in the league), and you make a team that can actually win a game or two by trading for some top-notch defenseman. You don't assemble a half-assed Olympic team of forwards with no D and average goaltending. We see where that strategy is getting us right now...right now. So you ask what the eff is wrong with me...I ask, WTF is wrong with you.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
"Wtf is wrong with me?" Wtf is wrong with you? First off we're never gonna get McDavid so chill...doesn't matter. But to humor the never-gonna-happen scenario of getting McDavid, did I say move Seguin the day we got McDavid? No. Use some common sense. If and when he could replace Seguin's production, you only have so much icetime and money to distribute to forwards. We need defense...direly. You take from a position of excess(we already have one of the best offenses in the league), and you make a team that can actually win a game or two by trading for some top-notch defenseman. You don't assemble a half-assed Olympic team of forwards with no D and average goaltending. We see where that strategy is getting us right now...right now. So you ask what the eff is wrong with me...I ask, WTF is wrong with you.

Not with that attitude... :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad