Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Entry Draft Discussion (Continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufio65*

One of those guys isn't a cut above Strome and Hanafin.

You have your opinion, I have mine. That's the great thing about the draft.. everyone's board looks different and rankings are subjective.

Provorov hasn't been getting a lot of hype from fans, but from everything that I have gathered scouts are drooling over his game and maturity level. Damien Cox was saying that Provorov and Hanifin are neck and neck in alot of scouts eyes, as the top dmen in the draft. In all my viewings of Provorov which is now 9 he looks like Ekblad 2.0.

Rufio65*

anyone else getting a 2003 nhl draft type vibe from this one or am I just getting my hopes up. There just seems like s Go many cant miss guys that would be going much higher in other drafts. If we can get it right this year, this draft could very well be the most important draft for us in the past 10-20 years. Anaheim in 03 set up the cornerstones of their franchise with two firsts that turned out to be elite first line players. Philly, and Nashville are others. We've done well the past few drafts getting connor brown in the later rounds, morgan Rielly, kadri, Nylander, and Percy, all look quite promising at this stage. We've done well in the upper echelon in the past drafts but I'm worried about nashvilles pick. Hopefully they swing for the fences with that one.

The Leafs will get a stud with their first pick, no doubt. The top 8-9 is loaded IMO. I'm not seeing the value in the later half of the 1st round like last year, when you had guys like DeAngelo, Fabbri, and Goldobin. Very top heavy draft.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You have your opinion, I have mine. That's the great thing about the draft.. everyone's board looks different and rankings are subjective.

Provorov hasn't been getting a lot of hype from fans, but from everything that I have gathered scouts are drooling over his game and maturity level. Damien Cox was saying that Provorov and Hanifin are neck and neck in alot of scouts eyes, as the top dmen in the draft. In all my viewings of Provorov which is now 9 he looks like Ekblad 2.0.

That talk was on the pre-game show prior to Brandon's game last night.

Provorov's 15 goals and 61 points in 60 games is pretty impressive.

McKeen's has him at #5 overall but Hanifin is still #3 on their rankings.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
The Leafs will get a stud with their first pick, no doubt. The top 8-9 is loaded IMO. I'm not seeing the value in the later half of the 1st round like last year, when you had guys like DeAngelo, Fabbri, and Goldobin. Very top heavy draft.

Lets be fair with DeAngelo. His season is in two parts. One with a not so great team where his numbers were worse than last years and one with a powerhouse team where he is 2 ppg. Fabbri is only slightly better in PPG this year before the injuries, and Goldobin is basically Sprong right down to the defensive zone warts. Pretty comparable to last years first round minus the top 2 guys

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Lets be fair with DeAngelo. His season is in two parts. One with a not so great team where his numbers were worse than last years and one with a powerhouse team where he is 2 ppg. Fabbri is only slightly better in PPG this year before the injuries, and Goldobin is basically Sprong right down to the defensive zone warts. Pretty comparable to last years first round minus the top 2 guys

Not to mention the baggage that accompanies a player like DeAngelo.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

He's a finalist for the Bill Hunter award (Best WHL Defenceman). Doughty/Ekblad won the OHL equivalent of the award in their draft years, none of Jones, Pietrangelo, Suter, Phaneuf, Hamilton, etc. were finalists in theirs.

Pretty impressive.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Not to mention the baggage that accompanies a player like DeAngelo.

He's actually been really good this year in that regard. Well spoken now as well, compared to the snark he had. Take away that problem during his draft year and he's likely taken in the top 12. Saying that however, he is a total offensive dman. Lots of work defensively

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012

Provorov is such an impressive prospect. Saw him in action last night. If only we could somehow get another pick in the top 6-8ish and steal Provorov...

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
He's actually been really good this year in that regard. Well spoken now as well, compared to the snark he had. Take away that problem during his draft year and he's likely taken in the top 12. Saying that however, he is a total offensive dman. Lots of work defensively

Good to hear. Very talented kid. Worrisome how the issue was not just once, but was a reoccurrence. Hopefully, he's cleaned it up for good. No question, he's a top fifteen pick if the issues didn't exist. Would be interesting to see where he would've been projected to go in this draft.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Marner is a special special talent. I consider him very close to McDavid and Eichel territory. Can't say the same about Strome.

My order:

McDavid
Eichel

Marner

Hanifin

Strome

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Good to hear. Very talented kid. Worrisome how the issue was not just once, but was a reoccurrence. Hopefully, he's cleaned it up for good. No question, he's a top fifteen pick if the issues didn't exist. Would be interesting to see where he would've been projected to go in this draft.

Hard to say. On the one hand, what he's doing with the Hounds is amazing, but on the other, it is a stacked team and he won't be playing with this kind of talent again. It's one of the reasons I don't look at Crouse and really care about his points. The Hounds had 9 guys with as many as him, and Oshawa had 7, and he led his team. The OHL has an incredible tilt this season when teams like Erie aren't even favored.

Rufio65*

Hard to say. On the one hand, what he's doing with the Hounds is amazing, but on the other, it is a stacked team and he won't be playing with this kind of talent again. It's one of the reasons I don't look at Crouse and really care about his points. The Hounds had 9 guys with as many as him, and Oshawa had 7, and he led his team. The OHL has an incredible tilt this season when teams like Erie aren't even favored.

Might want to check the numbers that he put up with Nurse, Bailey, Ritchie, McCann and a few others out of the lineup, his numbers have gone down since those guys have came back.. he carried that team in their absence and won OHL player of the week twice over that span. He's been named OHL defenseman of the month in back to back months, and is Sault St Maries nominee for OHL player of the year, is the front runner for OHL dman of the year, tied with McDavid for longest point streak at 27 games. The accolades, numbers and eye test speak for themselves. He's had a season for the ages and is an incredible talent.

And let's not act like his numbers this year with Sarnia were pedestrian.. 10 goals and 28 assists in 29 games. When some guys come back from the world juniors they take their game to another level. His defense isn't nearly as bad as you make it out to be. He was solid in the WJHC.. He had to cheat alot in 2013-2014 to create offense for that dumpster fire of a Sarnia team. His defense is greatly improved, but he needs to bulk up quite a bit.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Might want to check the numbers that he put up with Nurse, Bailey, Ritchie, McCann and a few others out of the lineup, his numbers have gone down since those guys have came back.. he carried that team in their absence and won OHL player of the week twice over that span. He's been named OHL defenseman of the month in back to back months, and is Sault St Maries nominee for OHL player of the year, is the front runner for OHL dman of the year, tied with McDavid for longest point streak at 27 games. The accolades, numbers and eye test speak for themselves. He's had a season for the ages and is an incredible talent.

And let's not act like his numbers this year with Sarnia were pedestrian.. 10 goals and 28 assists in 29 games. When some guys come back from the world juniors they take their game to another level.

I guess in your hurry to be offended on his behalf you didn't take notice of this line "what he's doing with the Hounds is amazing".

Rufio65*

I guess in your hurry to be offended on his behalf you didn't take notice of this line "what he's doing with the Hounds is amazing".

Well, you are the one saying that part of the reason he is putting up big numbers is because he's playing on a stacked team.. which couldn't be more incorrect.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Phil Kessel is our hope to get another top 11 player IMO

Agree with you.

Kessel to CBJ/NJ/PHI...maybe SJ. Some teams picking early may be interested.

The top of this draft is just so awesome. Getting two top 10 prospects would really be a good foundation for the rebuild.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Well, you are the one saying that part of the reason he is putting up big numbers is because he's playing on a stacked team.. which couldn't be more incorrect.

You don't think being on a stacked team is part of the reason he's getting lots of points?:huh:

Seems like a no-brainer to me. It's not an insult, or anything.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
This ongoing Strome/Marner debate is going to be of great relevance to Edmonton/Carolina once we win the lottery and take McDavid.

Believe it folks, it's happening!

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

Tolchinsky, McCann, Bailey, Ritchie, Bunting, Speers, Senyshyn, Guertler, and Moore all have at least 20 goals. Add in Nurse, and Bouramann on defense and Halverson in goal and that's a stacked team. Their top PK guy has a .85 PPG and is +40.

Rufio65*

Tolchinsky, McCann, Bailey, Ritchie, Bunting, Speers, Senyshyn, Guertler, and Moore all have at least 20 goals. Add in Nurse, and Bouramann on defense and Halverson in goal and that's a stacked team. Their top PK guy has a .85 PPG and is +40.

Again, take a look at his numbers with alot of those guys out of the lineup over a fairly lengthy span. I'm not sure that I can spell it out any clearer. His numbers were much higher without those guys, and declined with them in the lineup.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

The fact that Fabbri can improve his ppg after coming back from an injury to a Storm team which is MUCH worse than last year (I'm a Guelph Storm fan BTW) is very impressive. If he was healthy he likely leads the OHL in goals and is right there for points (based off his ppg).

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
This ongoing Strome/Marner debate is going to be of great relevance to Edmonton/Carolina once we win the lottery and take McDavid.

Believe it folks, it's happening!

Strome/Marner is pretty much the Nylander/Ehlers of this draft to me.

Its always fun when there's no clear-cut BPA and we get to see how the prospects pan out.

Rufio65*

The fact that Fabbri can improve his ppg after coming back from an injury to a Storm team which is MUCH worse than last year (I'm a Guelph Storm fan BTW) is very impressive. If he was healthy he likely leads the OHL in goals and is right there for points (based off his ppg).

25 goals in 30 games.. the kid is going to be a stud at the next level. A+ character.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Again, take a look at his numbers with alot of those guys out of the lineup over a fairly lengthy span. I'm not sure that I can spell it out any clearer. His numbers were much higher without those guys, and declined with them in the lineup.

More ice time including pp time equals more opportunities. That is pretty straightforward. Not sure why this bugs you. It is the same with everyone else on this team as well. More good players means less ice time for everyone.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

It was 8 games. No one said he wasn't impressive, but his ppg before that was even worse than last years, which is all I said. By comparison, Bennett lit him up and he was gone all season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad