GDT: 2015 NHL Entry Draft – Rd.1: Fri Jun 26, 7PM – TV: NBCSN, SN, TVA – Info: Posts #1-5

marone

May 17, 2010
Sweden
I wouldn't be mad. I'm surprised no one's picked him yet.

Not even drafted by any team. Very surprised even if Fredriks season was like a roller coaster (like the hole Leksand team) with a injury in his hand. It's up to Fredrik now to make a good play in Swedish second league and he can be a free agent if he do well :hockey:

Last edited:

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Overall, I quite rather like our draft haul this year. No Earth-shattering talents, but that was to be expected with no first round pick. I think we got four guys (Trenin, Novak, Richard, and Carrier) who can be solid contributors at the NHL level, added a couple of goalies deep in the pipeline plus a wildcard in Moy who could go any number of ways. We also shored up our alarmingly shallow center depth (Novak can play both center and wing as an added bonus).

Last edited:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Overall, I quite rather like our draft haul this year. No Earth-shattering talents, but that was to be expected with no first round pick. I think we got four guys (Trenin, Novak, Richard, and Carrier) who can be solid contributors at the NHL level, added a couple of goalies deep in the pipeline plus a wildcard in Moy who could go any number of ways. We also shored up our alarmingly shallow center depth (Novak can play both center and wing as an added bonus).

Fun fact, this is actually one of the smallest draft classes in franchise history by volume, matching 2010 (six picks) and surpassed only by the 2006 draft, which might go down as the worst in Predators history: five picks, 56 total NHL games (55 from Blake Geoffrion), and only two players - Mark Dekanich in the KHL and Viktor Sjodin in Australia - still playing hockey at any level.

If you are talking about # of picks we had 7 today. We had 2 4th round picks.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/draftstats.htm?year=All&round=All&team=NSH&navid=DL|NSH|home

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
If you are talking about # of picks we had 7 today. We had 2 4th round picks.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/draftstats.htm?year=All&round=All&team=NSH&navid=DL|NSH|home

You're right; I can't do perfect math all the time! :laugh: I must have had 6 in my head before Evan Smith got tabbed in the last round.

Still, it's amazing to think that we had such a terrible draft in 2006, and it didn't really set the team back all that much, probably because we got so many NHL players in the adjacent drafts. We'll know which category this draft falls into in about the same time frame.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Not sure why Poile felt like drafting two more goaltenders when we have so many in our system already. Could've used those picks to get more defensemen on our system like Loik Leveille or Sebastian Aho, or more even more forwards in Pius Suter, Fredrik Forsberg or Nathan Noel.

Anyway, hope our picks pan out. Trenin and Novak look promising, as does Carrier.

FEARoN

Apr 20, 2015
Kentucky
Not sure why Poile felt like drafting two more goaltenders when we have so many in our system already. Could've used those picks to get more defensemen on our system like Loik Leveille or Sebastian Aho, or more even more forwards in Pius Suter, Fredrik Forsberg or Nathan Noel.

Anyway, hope our picks pan out. Trenin and Novak look promising, as does Carrier.

Don't understand the two goalie picks either. One...okay, but when the second one showed up on our board I was a bit confused.

I'm not shocked that we didn't take either of the brothers (and not saying we should have). But I was thinking about the possibility that having Caleb in the pipeline might help us keep Seth around if he doesn't end up being traded.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND

It never hurts to spend late round picks on goalies. You never know when one will blossom or bust or tear an ACL and never be the same, so making sure one injury doesn't completely wreck your goalie pipeline is a sound strategy. That's even more true with how disposable goalies have become these days. They're the running backs of the NHL.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well and it may be a sign that Poile believes one or multiple already there aren't gonna cut it. I think it is a matter of Poile knowing he has to replace Rinne eventually, so like center he may just be throwing a ton of bodies at the problem.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think we drafted well, we addressed our needs in the middle. I'm already high on Trenin :D, I think he will be a top-2 C in this league. I'm also glad that we didn't draft any wingers since we have a truck load of those. Next year I'm hoping that we draft maybe a skilled C in the first round and D-mans in the later rounds.

At first I was surprised that we drafted two goalies but then I thought that in the 7th round you might as well draft a goalie. It is a very little chance to hit the jackpot in the 7th round but I think it's more likely with a goalie because they develop so late usually. I don't think we would have gotten a rainmaker in the 7th round if we would have drafted a skater so it's no loss there.

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012
I think we drafted well, we addressed our needs in the middle. I'm already high on Trenin :D, I think he will be a top-2 C in this league. I'm also glad that we didn't draft any wingers since we have a truck load of those. Next year I'm hoping that we draft maybe a skilled C in the first round and D-mans in the later rounds.

At first I was surprised that we drafted two goalies but then I thought that in the 7th round you might as well draft a goalie. It is a very little chance to hit the jackpot in the 7th round but I think it's more likely with a goalie because they develop so late usually. I don't think we would have gotten a rainmaker in the 7th round if we would have drafted a skater so it's no loss there.

Same feelings here. With these centers (and Kamenev last year) I think that we improved our biggest weakness pretty well. I personally expect a lot from Kamenev, Trenin and Novak. Hopefully one or two out of those three could fill our future 1-2C spots.

Only real surprise for me was that we didn't draft any LHD and even though I think that Carrier was a nice pick, I would be happy if he could learn to play as a LHD:nod:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Same feelings here. With these centers (and Kamenev last year) I think that we improved our biggest weakness pretty well. I personally expect a lot from Kamenev, Trenin and Novak. Hopefully one or two out of those three could fill our future 1-2C spots.

Only real surprise for me was that we didn't draft any LHD and even though I think that Carrier was a nice pick, I would be happy if he could learn to play as a LHD:nod:

I was pretty surprised that we didn't draft Ryan Pilon, he seemed a perfect fit for the future.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Don't understand the two goalie picks either. One...okay, but when the second one showed up on our board I was a bit confused.
It never hurts to spend late round picks on goalies. You never know when one will blossom or bust or tear an ACL and never be the same, so making sure one injury doesn't completely wreck your goalie pipeline is a sound strategy. That's even more true with how disposable goalies have become these days. They're the running backs of the NHL.
In 2004 we drafted a goalie in the 5th round and then in the 8th round we threw away a pick on some lanky loser named Pekka Rinne, whoever that guy is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad