2015 NHL Draft Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I'll copy the link to this article on Werenski from the end of the last thread since I think it's well worth reading. He seems like a guy Hextall would go for over Kylington if they were both available.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015/2/17/8047293/zach-werenski-scouting-report-michigan-nhl-draft

He better does. After Hanifin it's Werenski or Provorov for me. Kylington, meh. Not impressed at all.

Actually I'd prefer Provorov over Werenski but I'd be happy with both picks.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I am on the Werenski boat if we can not manage to get players like Strome or Marner. At # 7 or so I think he will still be hanging around. Our defensive prospects would be the best in the NHL with his addition.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Not sure if it's been asked but due to us taking players higher than rank - anyone like that the Flyers will try?

I know this draft is deeper, just basing it off how we got Morin and where we got him.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Not sure if it's been asked but due to us taking players higher than rank - anyone like that the Flyers will try?

I know this draft is deeper, just basing it off how we got Morin and where we got him.

As in, the sort of players the flyers may go slightly off the board with?

I could see Roy being a target of theirs. I could also see Crouse being a guy they like alot. Big bodied guy, who plays a very good 2-way game and a lot of untapped offensive upside as well. Honestly, Crouse seems like a prototypical Flyers pick to me. I know alot of people around here don't like him, but i think he has a hell of a lot of upside. You have to remember, he doesn't exactly have a whole lot to work with in Kingston.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
People mainly seem to object to Crouse as a top 5 pick. At around 10 it would be much more easy to justify taking him.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
As in, the sort of players the flyers may go slightly off the board with?

I could see Roy being a target of theirs. I could also see Crouse being a guy they like alot. Big bodied guy, who plays a very good 2-way game and a lot of untapped offensive upside as well. Honestly, Crouse seems like a prototypical Flyers pick to me. I know alot of people around here don't like him, but i think he has a hell of a lot of upside. You have to remember, he doesn't exactly have a whole lot to work with in Kingston.

Yep.

I was half asleep when I posted, didn't make much sense...LOL

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Werenski is the guy for me, Roy would be a stud as well. Getting 2 points in 3 games v Columbus and Buffalo is not a playoff team in my mind. Can Boston possibly be more dysfunctinal than we are. I wouldn't bet my paycheque. That shoutout was like well this entire season. Man we need a skilled fwd. a number 2 center. Does pavel zacha possess a high skill level, to go along with his size? I hear his skating is ok, could improve his foot speed a bit though.

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
If we take another D-man I think we would be set up for a long time.
Within 1-2 years (possibly sooner) Coburn & Str8 could be used as trade pieces to net us pretty good assets.

We could stack the forward cupboard with our picks including ones gained through trading those mentioned, or even use them as bargaining chips to bring in forward help. Keeping in mind forwards tend to make an impact quicker than D-men

With the Defense being FINALLY cost controlled, we will be able to dip into F/A, and if their is a player highly touted we want, we will be able to afford him.

Down the middle may need a change/trade.
We have Giroux, Couts, Schenn, Laughton, & Cousins having a good year in the AHL. But perhaps a trade involving one of them for a more natural fit for the club would also go a long way..

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
big, small, forward, defenseman... dont really care. skill and skating is all i ask for. no more grinder types.

I like how the Kings build. Guys big enough not to get pushed around for the most part, able to transition, who are also defensively responsible. Add more of those guys and keep a few high end skilled guys in the lineup like Giroux and scoring + defense should be well-balanced. There is a reason they're so good once playoffs come and the game shifts towards playoff style.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I like how the Kings build. Guys big enough not to get pushed around for the most part, able to transition, who are also defensively responsible. Add more of those guys and keep a few high end skilled guys in the lineup like Giroux and scoring + defense should be well-balanced. There is a reason they're so good once playoffs come and the game shifts towards playoff style.

So you want Lawson Crouse?

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

personally, i like how the hawks build more, but considering where Hextall came from, our team is probably going to mirror the Kings in a lot of ways, which obviously is fine.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
We just gotta go bpa like usual. Our d has the potential to be very good in the future, morin-ghost, sanheim-werenski/Roy, hagg-alt-Friedman, a nice mix. But at least one guy who has defence first mentality per pairing. Building good 2 way units.
Crouse just doesn't do it for me unless we get other picks. We need a 2nd line center, with more offense than Laughton. Watching our past few shootout losses, lecaviller looked brutal on the shootout, coutts look brutal last nite. More skill=more points in regular season, and more playoff wins. So if we do nit address our 2nd line center this year, we are gonna need to at some point. Or we will continue to grind our wheels, and not go ahead.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Shooutout ability and point production don't always go hand in hand. Brad Boyes is a shootout god. Lecavalier was bad at them even when he scored 108 points in a season. Iginla and Carter are 25% guys. Jagr is at 22%. Stamkos is at 21%.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Odds are if you improve the overall team skill you'll see better results in the shootout. However that shouldn't even register as something to look at when deciding on who to select especially since it looks like we're inching closer to minimizing it's effect on games with each passing year.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hopefully the extended OT from the AHL will be in as soon as next season.

How does the AHL break ties?

In 2014-15, the American Hockey League introduced a new overtime format. If a game is tied after three periods, teams play a seven-minute, sudden-death overtime period. Full strength is four skaters aside until the first whistle after three minutes have been played; full strength then reduces to three skaters aside. If neither team scores, the game advances to a shootout, with each team getting three attempts. If the score remains tied, the shootout progresses to sudden-death rounds until a winner is determined.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Hopefully the extended OT from the AHL will be in as soon as next season.

I hope they get rid of the everyone gets a point senario. If they want the 3 point system all wins should be 3 points.

Personally I'd like them to go back to the tie format. tie after OT (2 5 minutes) each team gets a point and thats that. But if a team wins in OT they get 2 points and 0 for the loser. Enough with the "Oh you got through a whole game and didnt lose GOOD FOR YOU, here is a point."

Akanon

Apr 15, 2012
Rantanen scored this beauty today in OT.

LATbNQA.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad