2015 NHL Draft Thread IV (6/26-7PM, 6/27-10AM)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
While I would like to see Wennberg and Dano up starting night, I don't think even they are locks. Given a fully healthy roster, they may start down in Cleveland if Jarmo is trying to avoid waiving someone (or if they get beat which is unlikely).

Barring no roster moves:

Locks to be on the 23 man roster (In some way. In lineup or healthy scratched):

Johansen
Foligno
Dubinsky
Hartnell
Jenner
Clarkson
Anisimov
Atkinson
Calvert
Tyutin
Murray
Johnson
Savard
Bobrovsky
McElhinney

So in review that means

Foligno - Johansen - Jenner
Hartnell - Dubinsky - Atkinson
Calvert - Anisimov - Clarkson
xx - xx - xx
xx

and on D

Johnson - Savard
Tyutin - Murray
xx - xx
xx

And then an additional roster spot up for grabs. Could carry 8 dmen (what we did last year) or two extra forwards (the norm).

And the guys battling for the remaining 8 roster spots are

Wennberg
Dano
Tropp
Bourque
Morin
Boll
Rychel
Milano
Bjorkstrand
Karlsson
Chaput
Anderson
Prout
Goloubef
Connauton
Falk
Kukan

Going to be a really hard training camp. That's alot of players and not too many spots. Of course this is all assuming no trades to alleviate the group of players battling for spots or players off the locks aren't moved along, or the re-signing of Mark Letestu (but this seems unlikely.)

orthosrgn2

Apr 26, 2007
Barring no roster moves:

Locks to be on the 23 man roster (In some way. In lineup or healthy scratched):

Johansen
Foligno
Dubinsky
Hartnell
Jenner
Clarkson
Anisimov
Atkinson
Calvert
Tyutin
Murray
Johnson
Savard
Bobrovsky
McElhinney

So in review that means

Foligno - Johansen - Jenner
Hartnell - Dubinsky - Atkinson
Calvert - Anisimov - Clarkson
xx - xx - xx
xx

and on D

Johnson - Savard
Tyutin - Murray
xx - xx
xx

And then an additional roster spot up for grabs. Could carry 8 dmen (what we did last year) or two extra forwards (the norm).

And the guys battling for the remaining 8 roster spots are

Wennberg
Dano
Tropp
Bourque
Morin
Boll
Rychel
Milano
Bjorkstrand
Karlsson
Chaput
Anderson
Prout
Goloubef
Connauton
Falk
Kukan

Going to be a really hard training camp. That's alot of players and not too many spots. Of course this is all assuming no trades to alleviate the group of players battling for spots or players off the locks aren't moved along, or the re-signing of Mark Letestu (but this seems unlikely.)

I think it represents a great training camp. With a few exceptions there is competition at most spots for veterans and rookies alike. Best players play and the others can play in the AHL , wait their turn or be traded or released. When did we ever have this many players competing for the 23 spots?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Interesting thread on the mains about teams' under 25. Bunch of them with pretty impressive pools of young talent.

I see us in the 7th -10th range, with the only team in the metro with a better 25 and under group being the Isles.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think it represents a great training camp. With a few exceptions there is competition at most spots for veterans and rookies alike. Best players play and the others can play in the AHL , wait their turn or be traded or released. When did we ever have this many players competing for the 23 spots?

Almost every year except that in years past most of them sucked.:laugh:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Issue is we will pay to have guys (1 way contracts) sit in the AHL? THat is why guys like Bourque and Boll are in the guaranteed roster spots making further clogging up the roster.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I thought this was a solid draft for the CBJ. I like the fact they looked at heavily pushing the defensive depth and took some gambles. I'm very interested in seeing Stenlund and Vainio. Vainio being mentioned as "the best skater" in the entire draft has me intrigued. Good size and offensively gifted but sounds like he needs a lot of work in his own end. Don't know much about Stenlund but good size and decent hands who appears to play in all three zones.

What I took away from this draft was that players like Werenski and Carlsson will have time to develop and potentially replace players like Tyutin and JJ in the top 4. As their contracts expire these two may be in a position to step into prominent roles. Another year in college for Werenski and maybe two more for Carlsson in Sweden before both get the year or so in the AHL. Also love the Bittner pick. Could be the Hartnell replacement in a few years with better skating and more size.

There is no excuse for not moving some of this talent to help the big club. I still love the idea of trying to get Ryan Ellis (I'm one of those that doesn't want to move Wennberg for him but maybe there is another way....). I'm also not interested in a UFA for anything more than 2-3 years which leaves the big guys out.

A very good weekend that needs to build going into camp.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
...Dano and Wennberg are stone cold lead pipe locks to in the lineup

you sure they can beat out Boll & Bourque? :sarcasm:

Barring an unforeseen event I pretty much agree they are here.

Foligno-Joey-Atkinson
Jenner-Dubi-Clarkson
Hartnell-Wennberg-Dano
Calvert-Karlsson-Bourque
Boll-Morin

Would love to see Bjorstrand and Rychel be here instead of the killer B's but just don't see it unless they blow everyone away in camp.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Defenseman Vladislav Gavrikov's rookie KHL season for Lokomotiv Jaroslav saw him feature on average of 6.12 and 4.27 minutes on 16 regular season fixtures and four play-off encounters. Captain of their MHL team as well.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
you sure they can beat out Boll & Bourque? :sarcasm:

Barring an unforeseen event I pretty much agree they are here.

Foligno-Joey-Atkinson
Jenner-Dubi-Clarkson
Hartnell-Wennberg-Dano
Calvert-Karlsson-Bourque
Boll-Morin

Would love to see Bjorstrand and Rychel be here instead of the killer B's but just don't see it unless they blow everyone away in camp.

Did Arty get traded?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Did Arty get traded?

Hopefully :laugh: OOPS! I forgot him. Pencil him in as a C someplace and send Karlsson back to the A.

By catching this you have pointed out the fact we have too many F's.

It doesn't make sense to have Arty play 4C so the logical spot is Dubi's line with one of them at wing. So then Karlsson is the logical 4C or we put Wennberg on the 4th line (heck, might as well trade him :laugh:)

Clarkson is now demoted to 4RW leaving Boll, Bourque and Morin as extras. So we'll probably get rid of Morin who actually could keep up with Karlsson & Calvert). Whenever I do stuff like this I can't for the life of me understand why either Bourque or Boll or both aren't bought out.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I'm willing to bet that Morin starts out in the NHL. I haven't been very impressed with his play, but the coaching staff seems to be.

Foligno - Johansen - Atkinson
Anisimov - Dubinsky - Jenner
Hartnell - Wennberg - Dano
Calvert - Clarkson - Morin
Tropp
Boll

Johnson - Savard
Murray - Connauton
Tyutin - Goloubef
Prout

Bobrovsky
McElhinney

Cleveland's top-6:
Rychel - Karlsson - Bourque
Anderson - Chaput - Bjorkstrand

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm willing to bet that Morin starts out in the NHL. I haven't been very impressed with his play, but the coaching staff seems to be.

Anisimov - Dubinsky - Jenner
Hartnell - Wennberg - Dano
Calvert - Clarkson - Morin
Bourque
Boll

Johnson - Savard
Murray - Connauton
Tyutin - Goloubef
Prout

Bobrovsky
McElhinney

He can play center?

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

I'd be happier with these lines if they looked like this:

Jenner - Anisimov - Dano
Hartnell - Dubinsky - Clarkson
Calvert - Wennberg - Letestu
Morin
Boll

Johnson - Savard
Murray - Connauton
Tyutin - Goloubef
Prout

Bobrovsky
McElhinney

Cleveland's top-6:
Tropp - Chaput - Bjorkstrand

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Jenner - Anisimov - Dano
Morin
Boll

Johnson - Savard
Murray - Connauton
Tyutin - Goloubef
Prout

Bobrovsky
McElhinney

Cleveland's top-6:

1. Giving Wennberg 4th line minutes doesn't help him develop at all.

2. I think its time to let go of Letestu. If he was going to be back, he would have been signed already. Writing is on the wall.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Jenner - Anisimov - Dano
Morin
Boll

Johnson - Savard
Murray - Connauton
Tyutin - Goloubef
Prout

Bobrovsky
McElhinney

Cleveland's top-6:

Not that I think last year will affect the team this year, but I wouldn't break up the Hartnell-Wennberg-Dano line until they showed they have lost their chemistry. At least til the 2nd period of game 1.

And sadly I agree with CBJWennberg that Letestu is gone; a victim of too many guys already signed. And as I have mentioned before I don't see Wennberg on the 4th line-I see Karlsson or Chaput making the team as the 4C.

I do like Bourque in the A but again that seems like an expensive depth guy. I would have bought him out. Maybe he's the guy to push AZ to the floor.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
All I can hope for is that Jarmo doesn't make another Gibbons-esque "depth forward" signing this offseason. We have way too many guys to fit onto that 4th line. I have no clue how this will shake out. I agree that Letestu is done-zo.

My best guess:

Jenner-Johansen-Foligno
Anisimov-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Hartnell-Wennberg-Dano
Calvert-Chaput-Clarkson
Morin/Tropp/Boll/Bourque (what do we do with all this trash?)

Murray-XXXXXX
Johnson-Savard
Tyutin-Goloubef
Connauton/Prout

Bob
Curtis

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
You take it out!:naughty:

Jenner-Johansen-Foligno
Hartnell-Anisimov-Atkinson
Dano -Dubinsky-Clarkson
Calvert-Chaput or W Bill -Bourque
Boll

So Wennberg is trash?

Jenner-Johansen-Atkinson
Hartnell-Wennberg-Dano
Calvert-Dubinsky-Foligno
Morin-Anisimov-Clarkson

Forget about numbering lines, you put those who play well together and you play based on matchups. Playing a physical team? Dubinskys line is gonna get more time. Playing a fast skilled team, you're gonna lean more on Joey and Wennys line. Or maybe you reverse it, play your physical guys more against the more skilled guys and not let them get away with the cute stuff.

What I love about these lineups is that on every single line there's a good combination of skill, speed, size and grit.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Back on topic of the actual draft though, I've seen a lot of love for Gavrikov(sp?) on the mains. Could he be a potential darkhorse candidate to make the team next year (16-17)? I mean look at what Dano with only a season of KHL and a few games in the AHL.

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Of course not. Wennberg is on a two way and doesn't have to go through waivers. He can come up when someones injured. I don't see the CBJ paying Bork or Clarkston getting NHL money in the AHL.

How much does Boll, Clarkson, and Wennberg make if Boll and Clarkson are in the NHL and Wennberg is in the AHL?

How much does Boll, Clarkson, and Wennberg make if Boll and Wennberg are in the NHL and Clarkson is in the AHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad