Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Draft - Pick #62 - Robin Kovacs

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Come on, thats a low blow. Leave his legal issues out of a discussion about his hockey.

I agree with your assessment, for the most part, I don't care about the age excuse some use, but he does have some skill. He's a good skater with good enough puck skills and a good enough shot. Whether or not he's good enough for the NHL eventually, I have no clue. Guys who go back to Europe after coming to the USA usually don't come back, so I'd assume not, but we've have less talented players leave after signing a contract.

"Good enough" for what level, though (I think that's the real question)?

For the Allsvenskan, maybe. Certainly not for the NHL or even AHL. Not even sure if good enough for the SHL. He looked like a really crappy version of Hagelin. At least Hagelin could play hockey, though. Even if he didn't have much hockey IQ. Maybe he somehow makes it back to the AHL or even NHL one day. I won't hold my breath.

By the way, I don't think it's a low blow. JMO, though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
"Good enough" for what level, though (I think that's the real question)?

For the Allsvenskan, maybe. Certainly not for the NHL or even AHL. Not even sure if good enough for the SHL. He looked like a really crappy version of Hagelin. At least Hagelin could play hockey, though. Even if he didn't have much hockey IQ. Maybe he somehow makes it back to the AHL or even NHL one day. I won't hold my breath.

By the way, I don't think it's a low blow. JMO, though.

He's 20 years old, so not sticking in a better league than the SHL at his age doesn't exactly mean he won't be able to have a career in the SHL.

I would say the SHL is probably around his proper level, when he reaches his ceiling. Maybe he's like a middle sixer in that league. I think his skating along with his puck skills and goal scoring will play in that league, not sure it would ever play in the NHL, but I don't think he's a talentless player. We've had some of those before.

As for his legal issues, I'm just not sure how that relates to a discussion about his hockey talent, which is why I said its a low blow. I didn't say it was wrong.

Reactions: Ori

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He's 20 years old, so not sticking in a better league than the SHL at his age doesn't exactly mean he won't be able to have a career in the SHL.

I would say the SHL is probably around his proper level, when he reaches his ceiling. Maybe he's like a middle sixer in that league. I think his skating along with his puck skills and goal scoring will play in that league, not sure it would ever play in the NHL, but I don't think he's a talentless player. We've had some of those before.

As for his legal issues, I'm just not sure how that relates to a discussion about his hockey talent, which is why I said its a low blow. I didn't say it was wrong.

I have no clue if he can carve out anything more than an average role player career in the SHL. His massive struggles in the AHL don't bode well for his future, but the larger ice may be more of his thing. His puck skills were nonexistent in Hartford. As said, he was basically a really shitty version of Hagelin. Dude looked lost and very modestly skilled at that level.

I think his legal issues absolutely relate to his mental state, the team's view on him, and his status as a New York Ranger. You cannot remove personal issues like that from sports.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I do believe the incident over the summer (and the other racing-related stuff he had been popped for in the past, if that's true) had to play a role in this decision. He had a bad season in the AHL, no doubt, but it's hard for me to believe that the Rangers walk away from the kid if he's a model citizen just because he had a bad year in Hartford at age 20. I mean, Stromwall was even worse and he's still here, despite being older. Even with the off-ice stuff, though, there had to be more. If it was just the off-ice stuff then they wouldn't have brought him to TCT, camp, sent him to Hartford for an exhibition game, etc. They would have gotten rid of him sooner. So I'd guess it was a combination of his play and the other stuff.

The only other thing I can think of is that Kovacs told the organization he wants to go back to Sweden and that he has no desire to play in North America. And if that was the case and really true, then you might as well cut bait and free up a contract spot.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I do believe the incident over the summer (and the other racing-related stuff he had been popped for in the past, if that's true) had to play a role in this decision. He had a bad season in the AHL, no doubt, but it's hard for me to believe that the Rangers walk away from the kid if he's a model citizen just because he had a bad year in Hartford at age 20. I mean, Stromwall was even worse and he's still here, despite being older. Even with the off-ice stuff, though, there had to be more. If it was just the off-ice stuff then they wouldn't have brought him to TCT, camp, sent him to Hartford for an exhibition game, etc. They would have gotten rid of him sooner. So I'd guess it was a combination of his play and the other stuff.

The only other thing I can think of is that Kovacs told the organization he wants to go back to Sweden and that he has no desire to play in North America. And if that was the case and really true, then you might as well cut bait and free up a contract spot.

Agreed. He sucked and he f***ed up. Combine the two, and it all makes perfect sense.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Not sure if mentioned already, but he's rumored to sign with Lulea of the SHL. Already a better spot than Hartford & previously the HA, IMO.

Sucks that this has happened this way, but we'll see if he can bounce back with another organization.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Sad news and wish him the best of luck.

I find it hard to believe that the talent isn't there any more. Hopefully he finds a way to harness it.

Kovacs isn't a bad kid. He's just made some questionable decisions that have put him at risk. Sometimes the only thing we can do is try and start again.

That takes guts and it's almost never popular.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Sad news and wish him the best of luck.

I find it hard to believe that the talent isn't there any more. Hopefully he finds a way to harness it.

Kovacs isn't a bad kid. He's just made some questionable decisions that have put him at risk. Sometimes the only thing we can do is try and start again.

That takes guts and it's almost never popular.

Yep, totally agree. I often find that when someone tries to move forward with their life after a bad event, they're criticized for not being in permanent visible remorse. So many people seem to loathe to forgive. I'd prefer it not be that way. 70 times 7.

Reactions: Miamipuck

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
There's this article from Adam Rotter where he's reporting the news that Malte Stromwall is also being placed on waivers to terminate his contract, and a link at the bottom goes to an article in Swedish that supposedly says Kovacs asked to be released so he could go back to Sweden (and he also talks about struggling after the accident). I know he's not our property anymore, but I just figured it's worth sharing for posterity.

Deleted member 55113

I hope when he has recovered (psychologically and mentally) he comes back to the Rangers at least.

He's doing well for a 21 year old at this point in the season. He's 26th in SHL scoring by pts/game at 0.75. Not saying he's like Jesper Fast as a player or skill (or that the league skill was the same then and now), but the stats are comparable to Fast at 21 years old (2012-2013 season for HV71 in the SHL).

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He has done better and better for Luleå.

But shit happens, nothing panned out for Kovac for us. Was brought over early, to the by far worst team in the AHL, bad coach, the kid have issues and was in a horrible accident and so forth and so forth. He was cut from the WJC despite being that team’s best scorer over the year.

It’s unfortunate because he probably will rank like top 10-20% of all picks we make when he wraps it up, but we will get very little for it...

Deleted member 55113

He has done better and better for Luleå.

But **** happens, nothing panned out for Kovac for us. Was brought over early, to the by far worst team in the AHL, bad coach, the kid have issues and was in a horrible accident and so forth and so forth. He was cut from the WJC despite being that team’s best scorer over the year.

It’s unfortunate because he probably will rank like top 10-20% of all picks we make when he wraps it up, but we will get very little for it...

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but the fact the Rangers met his request for him to go back to SHL to get better - that would account for something if I were him. Although I do admit I may be naive given it is a business ultimately for Kovac as well.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, I noticed this.

I don't think the team did much wrong, he was bad in the AHL. Didn't do well in the top six, didn't do well in the bottom six, how does he do so well in the SHL but not the AHL? They are similar level leagues, it makes no sense to me, but I don't think you can fault the team. If a forward can't score even .5PPG in the AHL, they probably aren't an NHL'er, regardless of how old they are. Kovacs wasn't that young for the league, either. If he was drafted out of the CHL, that would be his age appropriate league.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
IF he does attempt to make an NHL comeback, I do think the Rangers would be his first choice. I think that he just wasn't in a good mental state after the accident, and just needed to go home and get his life sorted out. Hopefully that's the case.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Yeah, I noticed this.

I don't think the team did much wrong, he was bad in the AHL. Didn't do well in the top six, didn't do well in the bottom six, how does he do so well in the SHL but not the AHL? They are similar level leagues, it makes no sense to me, but I don't think you can fault the team. If a forward can't score even .5PPG in the AHL, they probably aren't an NHL'er, regardless of how old they are. Kovacs wasn't that young for the league, either. If he was drafted out of the CHL, that would be his age appropriate league.

He barely got a chance in the top 6, he was stapled in the bottom 6 for most of the season, mostly 4th line and with close to no PP TOI at all... He was bad, but he was put in a position to fail by the coaching staff. In Luleå he got placed in their top 6 and got PP time and they had patience with him, he was scoreless for 5-6 games and then he exploded and is above PPG since.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Wasn’t Kovacs the 4th youngest forward in the AHL at the time? Hindsight is 20/20 but he should’ve been kept in Sweden

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Tobbe- I think it’s a problem with many organizations, an over belief in their own farm team’s ability to develop kids. Heck I understand the thinking, we should do a top notch work with it, if not we should improve.

Gernander always showed huge amount of tough love towards new players, he stuck Zucc on a 4th line and almost forced him back to Europe within months after getting here. And he wasn’t able to implement any kind of meaning full strategy in the AHL other than just playing extremely simplistic defensive hockey. Why do we bring an 19 y/o mid round pick with some issues into that environment?

The AHL is not an easy nut to crack either. The skilled players go to the NHL. There are many fairly good typical gritty players there, low capable coaches playing old fashion hockey with players being a good fit for that style. To play a modern style game you also need continuity — and the AHL is a de facto development league with a ton of turnover. Let’s see what the new guy can do..

I think it’s one thing to bring kids to the AHL to have them learn the pro game. Lessen the gap between the SHL/KHL/College/CHL and the NHL. But is it a development league? Nah, I am very skeptical about that.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I think the most likely thing that happened is that Kovács pushed to go to the AHL, he was (is?) a VERY confident young man, probably overconfident. I think he legit thought he could be a difference maker right away in the AHL and maybe even earn an early call up to the NHL. This is where the team needs to step in and pretty much decide the best path for the kid, but oh well, too late now.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He barely got a chance in the top 6, he was stapled in the bottom 6 for most of the season, mostly 4th line and with close to no PP TOI at all... He was bad, but he was put in a position to fail by the coaching staff. In Luleå he got placed in their top 6 and got PP time and they had patience with him, he was scoreless for 5-6 games and then he exploded and is above PPG since.

When he did get a chance though on higher lines with better players, he wasn't good. Its a development league, not a good league. If you are actually an NHL'er, you probably should stand out right away. He looked rather bad, at least from what I remember.

He could be good again, I'm not sure, he's clearly doing well in the SHL. Does that mean he's going to be an NHL'er? I don't know, I was fine with the decision made.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
IF he does attempt to make an NHL comeback, I do think the Rangers would be his first choice. I think that he just wasn't in a good mental state after the accident, and just needed to go home and get his life sorted out. Hopefully that's the case.

Seriously doubt he'll ever be back.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
In hindsight he should have learned to stop street racing after the first or second time he got popped. Then we wouldn't be talking about this. Among other things that would have been a lot different.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Maybe Rangers missed on this prospect or lost patience.. A player who is above ppg in Sweden will probably reach NHL. And some players develop late, but who knows what is going to happen with him. It`s easier to discuss with a couple of full seasons concerning stats, and then look back and evaluate him if he can keep it up.

Last edited:

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Maybe Rangers missed on this prospect or lost patience - a player who is above ppg in Sweden will reach NHL and if not for us - someone else for sure. And some players develop late, but who knows what is going to happen with him. It`s easier to discuss with a couple of full seasons concerning stats, and then look back and evaluate him if he can keep it up.
Rangers cut ties with a bad egg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad