Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Draft - Pick #41 - Ryan Gropp

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I think he definitely plays a pro-style game and that makes him projectable. He's a guy who has a very good chance of playing solid pro hockey in 15 months.

I would say the question is how a team projects his offense to develop. There a lot of good offensive instincts and very good hands. But I can't say they've quite produced the results they are capable of producing - yet.

How's his skating, and how's his play down low. People were crying that we need a few more Kreider-like players...with this kid's size, will he cause trouble in front of the net?

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
****ing reach. Such good talent on the board. This kid would've been there at #59.

Bracco :(

It's likely that our guys had a look at Bracco and liked the potential they saw with Gropp better.

Who did we pass on to draft Miller, Kreider, Fast, or Hagelin?

If the Rangers have proven anything these last few years it's that they do a pretty decent job of evaluating later round talent.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Obvious "you can't teach size" pick is obvious. And not in a good way.

How many times have you seen Gropp play?

What are you basing your baseless assessment on?

Who would you have drafted instead?

How many scouting trips have you been on this year?

If you hate the pick, great, but tell us why instead of this nonsense. You have no idea if this was a "you can't teach size" pick. It's not like Gropp doesn't have skill. He might end up being an important part of the team in a few years. Nobody can say for sure what exactly Gropp will turn into yet you are so sure of not only the reasoning behind the pick but the kids upside........Based on????

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
How's his skating, and how's his play down low. People were crying that we need a few more Kreider-like players...with this kid's size, will he cause trouble in front of the net?

He's a good skater - longer strides, good movement. I think the key to his skating is his agility and ability to shift direction.

I like that a lot of his goals come from in close, he's got good hands. I don't think his strength is possession and setting up the play, but rather being a guy who you pass it to in the offensive zone for a quick strike.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He's a good skater - longer strides, good movement. I think the key to his skating is his agility and ability to shift direction.

I like that a lot of his goals come from in close, he's got good hands. I don't think his strength is possession and setting up the play, but rather being a guy who you pass it to in the offensive zone for a quick strike.

He's got a silly looking stride. It's so odd but it works and he gets places quickly.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

So, he's a finisher, the type of player people are crying that this team needs. My own opinion always goes back to value, but, sometimes you just can't win on this board.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
How many times have you seen Gropp play?

What are you basing your baseless assessment on?

The scouting reports I've ready on potential Rangers 2nd round picks and some probably poorly packaged highlights.

Who would you have drafted instead?

Danny Sprong or Jeremy Bracco.

How many scouting trips have you been on this year?

Zero?

If you hate the pick, great, but tell us why instead of this nonsense. You have no idea if this was a "you can't teach size" pick. It's not like Gropp doesn't have skill. He might end up being an important part of the team in a few years. Nobody can say for sure what exactly Gropp will turn into yet you are so sure of not only the reasoning behind the pick but the kids upside........Based on????

Jesus christ according to this nobody should make judgments on draft picks ever.

When there are way more skilled players that are smallish still there, it looks like a "you can't teach size" pick.

Is that what the advanced stats say?

The non-existent ones, yes

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He's got a silly looking stride. It's so odd but it works and he gets places quickly.

Agree, it's a little bow-legged, but it works for him.

Not so much-straight ahead speed, but he's hard to knock off his stride or box in.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
i know everyone is saying he's a reach, but I have to agree with others that he plays the game like a ****ing man... he's not a kid... he's big, has tools, plays the dirty areas based on those highlights...

I don't watch the thunderbirds, but the kid was a PPG player.

The real **** up is not taking Bracco.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
So, he's a finisher, the type of player people are crying that this team needs. My own opinion always goes back to value, but, sometimes you just can't win on this board.

Yes, definitely a finisher first.

He's a kid who understands he has to go to the net, and that could serve him well as a pro.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
The scouting reports I've ready on potential Rangers 2nd round picks and some probably poorly packaged highlights.

So based on scouting reports and highlights.....For someone who is so black & white about assessing players i'm quite shocked that is all you would use to make such a black & white assesment of a player. Are you using the eye test to evaluate this prospect? That's weird...right?

How many times have you seen these guys play? Why would these guys be better?

?

Nice.....

Jesus christ according to this nobody should make judgments on draft picks ever.

My friend even Jesus Christ himself wouldn't evaluate a prospect he knows nothing about....You know nothing abou this kid yet you say "this is an obvious you can't teach size pick". If you watched those poorly packaged highlights you would've seen a kid who has decent hands. Do they translate to the NHL? I don't know. Do you know?

When there are way more skilled players that are smallish still there, it looks like a "you can't teach size" pick.

So all small skilled players make it to the NHL? It looks like a 2nd round pick that may or may not be something. That's it. You have no idea what the Rangers thinking is behind the selection.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
Renegade Styling's WHL report on him from may:

Player Analysis: Ryan Gropp is a big goal scoring winger for the Seattle Thunderbirds…possesses a very good skating stride, especially for someone with his frame…has a driving stride with plenty of power in his legs…owns a very explosive first few strides aided by sharp and crisp edgework…is comfortable carrying the puck with speed and can often catch the defence standing still as he burns down the wing…is at his most effective when he gets a step on the opposition, lowers his shoulder and takes the puck to the crease off the rush…speed is balanced well by his ability to make smart give and go plays, keeping defenders guessing…when he’s on, the puck tends to follow him around the ice…possesses an NHL-ready shot…shot is heavy, hard and accurate…releases the puck in the blink of an eye…his elite shot allows him to score from distance, including using it as a weapon while playing the half-wall on the powerplay…has shown the ability to find holes in the offensive zone and get into a good shooting position…is definitely more of a shooter than passer but playmaking isn’t an area of weakness…sees the ice well and has solid offensive instincts in general…isn’t a bruising player but will get his nose dirty and work defensively…finishes his checks in a fairly consistent fashion…won’t go out of his way to throw his weight around but is good in that area when he decides to make contact…don’t think he will ever be a shutdown guy at the next level but he plays with a mature and smart approach defensively…fairly strong on his stick along the walls…is very much a north-south style of player who blasts up and down the wing and fires pucks on net…feel that his game is a tad one-dimensional in that sense, but the dimension is good considering both his speed and shot are NHL-ready traits…could stand to up his overall intensity level from time to time, an area that would absolutely be his biggest knock…have had concerns about his ability and actual willingness to truly “take over a game”…his increased production with Mathew Barzal out of the lineup was a big positive sign in that regard, though, as his totals increased by roughly 0.20 PPG during that 9-10 week stretch with Barzal out of the lineup with his knee injury…do also have a bit of concern with his lack of increasing production in the second half of the season (0.89 PPG before Jan. 1, 0.84 PPG after Jan. 1) although his 8 points in 6 playoff games did help ease that concern a bit…the fact that he’s nearly a year older than some prospects in this class is also a bit of a red flag considering his overall production trends…showed a minor increase in offensive production from last year to this season but nothing jaw-dropping, which is another slight concern…along with being a fixture on the powerplay he was also a regular on the penalty kill during my viewings…at even-strength he spent much of the season on Mathew Barzal’s left wing, but down the stretch he spent 12 of the Thunderbirds final 24 games on a line with Scott Eansor and Keegan Kolesar…his style really reminds me a lot of James Neal as they are both big guys who can skate and really wire a puck…was originally committed to attend the University of North Dakota but opted to leave the Penticton Vees to join the Thunderbirds in October 2013…is a late-1996 born player…his 30 goals were the 3rd highest mark among first-year draft-eligible WHL forwards while his 58 points were 6th best…he scored 26 goals at even-strength during the regular season, tied for best (with Jake DeBrusk) of any first-year draft-eligible WHL forward…his point-per-game rate was the 7th highest mark among all first-year draft-eligible WHL forwards…he scored 14.71% of all Thunderbirds goals this season, which was the 2nd best mark of any first-year draft-eligible WHL forward, trailing only DeBrusk…either scored or assisted on 28.43% of all Seattle’s goals this year, the 5th highest mark of any first-year draft-eligible WHL forward…his even-strength PPG rate of 0.66 was 5th best among first-year draft-eligible WHL forwards…was the 6th overall pick at the 2011 WHL Bantam Draft by Seattle…overall at his peak projection I see Gropp as a scoring top 6 winger and a guy who has the skillset to be a 25 or 30 goal scorer at the NHL level despite the general concerns mentioned…with that being said, I also consider him to be a good prospect because I feel he could be molded into a serviceable bottom 6 guy on a great team, while still possessing decent scoring tools in that role…I expect him to come off the board starting sometime in the late 2nd round and be gone by the time the draft reaches pick 75 or 80…

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Pick seems okay. Ceiling sounds good, but also sounds like he could be a total bust who doesn't get to the NHL.

with that being said, I also consider him to be a good prospect because I feel he could be molded into a serviceable bottom 6 guy on a great team, while still possessing decent scoring tools in that role

Not really.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

Zero?

The non-existent ones, yes

I think it's the self indulging way you posted implying you are just sooo knowledgeable while providing nothing in the way of analysis or substance just annoys people. If you don't like being criticized for having hollow posts then don't post hollow posts lol.

For example it wasn't enough to dislike the Zborovskiy pick. Everyone is an idiot too. It wasn't enough to dislike this pick, you can see a conspiracy to pick based on size alone whereas you would just be too smart to fall into such a trap. Edge doesn't do crap like that. That's why people will listen to and respect Edge even if he disagrees. He not only knows what he's talking about he also knows how to communicate it and he's not going into business for himself every time he analyzes something. Post the way you do if you want but then don't act so shocked when people get fed up with it

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Next year is going to be huge for him - he has to take his offense up another level.

The pro-style is there, he gets that he's not going to consistently score from 15 feet out, but I want to see a bit more from him.

He has the talent to be a 45 goal, 80-90 point player at the junior level.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think they're shooting for another Kreider.

I'd say there styles are a bit different.

Kreider is a guy whose size and speed serve as his meat and potatoes. Kreider barreling down the ice is a scary sight, I don't think you'll see that with Gropp. He's more of the type who your heart races if he's got the puck within 10 feet of the net because he's going to be able to place it.

I think Gropp is going to be more of a guy you pass to in the slot and let his hands do their thing. I also don't see him projecting to Kreider's size, maybe more in the 205-210 range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad