Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Draft - Pick #119 - Daniel Bernhardt

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
He should go. That's a high profile team with lots of pressure. Or is he better off in the SEL? Can he even make the SEL?

I am of the opinion to let Swedish players develop over there. It seems the best Swedes come over when they're good and ready, not meant sarcastically. They get good coaching and have a really good development system, let them be. I would rather them not play in the CHL all things equal.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
Ok I am seriously adopting this dude as my prospect. I expect him to become a first or second line winger. I am calling it now and going for broke. If I am right in 3 or 4 years everyone has to say so and kiss my ass. I called it. This dude is the missing link. Remember I told you this on June 29th 2015. :yo: On my 1800'th post.
first line? Come on.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Hey why not, I'm going on size, speed and numbers in a comparable league to his age. Now I don't know a thing about his hockey sense. That said, I think you are right about CHL, he'll develop a more rounded game and discipline staying home. He should stay in Sweden, make the SEL and play against men. By the time he gets here he'll go straight to the Wolfpack or god willing to the Rangers if I am right about my feeling.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
No one knows. There's very little about him. But the dude looks the part of a scoring winger.

Ahh, okay, the prospect I know most about that the Rangers drafted is probably Gropp, that Jamie Benn potential though :laugh: that's only if he fully hits that potential obviously(hoping he does :))

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
So how good of a draft pick is Bernhardt at #119 anyways? what's his upside?

What I keep hearing is that he is a big scoring winger. That's pretty much it. Not sure if he's speedy or physical, but apparently likes the puck possession game so that could mean he's strong offensively.

Really hoping development camp leaks are coming.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
The Rangers are talking to him about going the junior route. It seems to me that they are really hoping that he comes over to play in the O.

I loved the kid in my brief viewing this afternoon. Good hands, smarts, vision. I kept noticing him the entire time that i was watching the game.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
what is london's roster looking like? id imagine theyd have a loaded roster.

If Bernhardt reports to London, they have a need for a top line RW. He would have a very good shot of playing on the wing with Christian Dvorak and Matt Tkachuk, 2 guys you'll likely see playing on the U.S. World Junior team this Christmas. He could have a big season if he comes here.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
If he's gonna get top minutes in London I think that's tough to say no to

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The Rangers are talking to him about going the junior route. It seems to me that they are really hoping that he comes over to play in the O.

I loved the kid in my brief viewing this afternoon. Good hands, smarts, vision. I kept noticing him the entire time that i was watching the game.

This is great to hear! If he's got a shot of playing with Tkachuk and Dvorak, I hope he does if that's the case. London is already stacked as it is!

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
From SNY

http://snyrangersblog.com/prospects/daniel-bernhardt/rangers-draft-daniel-bernhardt-at-119/

The Rangers have drafted Swedish winger Daniel Bernhardt at pick #119.

He is 6-3, 190 and ranked 62nd by Central Scouting.

Bernhardt is ranked 154 by Future Considerations and they list his potential as a top-nine NHL winger.

He had 26 goals and 35 assists in 44 games in the Swedish Junior League and 1 goal and 4 assists in 4 games at the 5 Nations Tournament.

Future Considerations writes that Bernhardt is a “big, skilled winger who creates a lot of offense by entering the zone with speed. He protects the puck with his long reach and can change directions pretty quickly. He needs to bring more bite to his game and he is an average defensive player. ‘If you like puck possession hockey, Daniel is a very good fit.’ More of a skilled playmaker than a finisher but he can do both.â€

Thanks great review

From future considerations:

his big, skilled winger creates a lot of offense by entering the offensive zone with good speed and protecting the puck with his long reach. He keeps the puck away from the defenders with pretty skilled hands and a decent wrist shot. Good top speed but just average acceleration. He is quite shifty and can change directions pretty quickly, often throwing off defenders. He is not a physically punishing player, but is pretty strong on his feet in regards to fending off defenders along the wall. He is no softie, but it would be nice to see him bring more bite and be able to use his impressive frame more effectively. Average defensive player, but has shown improved hustling and back checking from last season’s many lackadaisical efforts. If you like puck possession hockey, Daniel is a very good fit. He needs to improve his slapshot and his first step, which isn’t horrible but not really an asset either. Top speed is good though. And adding some more pounds to that six-foot-three frame wouldn’t hurt. More of a skilled playmaker with his vision and creativity than a finisher, but he can do both. NHL POTENTIAL: Top-Nine Offensive Winger
Thanks great review also, very insightful

I am of the opinion to let Swedish players develop over there. It seems the best Swedes come over when they're good and ready, not meant sarcastically. They get good coaching and have a really good development system, let them be. I would rather them not play in the CHL all things equal.
the exception to the rule notwithstanding, I agree 100%

Grateful for your input and glad you felt this was worth sayin

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
I heard from a reliable source that, on Friday, Bernhardt told the Rangers that he was going back to Sweden for the year.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I see no issue with him playing over there. Fast and Lindberg did that. Let them develop over there: they learn the defensive side of the puck so well because scoring is so much harder at the higher levels. Then they develop their offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad