Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Draft - Pick #119 - Daniel Bernhardt

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
Here's a post Renegade Stylings made about him in May. He's really spot on when it comes to the WHL. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/sh...1&postcount=17

#13 Brad Morrison

Team: Prince George Cougars
Position: C/LW/RW
Shoots: L
Height: 5’11.5
Weight: 154
GP: 63
Goals: 23
Assists: 27
Pts/Gm: 0.79
PIM: 30

Player Analysis: Brad Morrison is a speedy and dynamic forward for the Prince George Cougars…is most definitely one of the fastest pure skaters from the WHL in this year’s NHL draft class…regularly catches defenders on their heels and flat-footed due to his quick bursts to the outside…has extremely good acceleration and can get up to top speed in only a few strides…looks light on his skates while he flies around, having the ability to change directions and make defenders miss…skates with a slightly hunched stance, making him look much smaller than he’s listed…despite his lack of size and weight he doesn’t back down…plays an aggressive style of offensive game and excels in traffic, going to the crease and to tough areas…receives the puck well and has purely skilled hands…shoots the puck well…wrister is hard and accurate…does a good job getting shots away despite traffic and sticks…can shoot in stride…often follows his shot to the net, looking for rebounds…has good hand-eye co-ordination on deflections and for knocking elevated passes out of mid-air…an extremely smart offensive player who is dangerous off the rush and off the cycle due to his ability to take advantage of holes in a defence…does suffer a bit from tunnel vision at times, failing to use his linemates as well as he could…seemed to be a bit selfish at times when the puck was on his stick and I think making that one extra pass might do wonders for his game and give him another element of offensive punch…owns a relentless motor off the puck…attacks in situations when he doesn’t have the puck…isn’t a super strong defensive player but he isn’t simply running around chasing the play…his good hands and quick stick help him defensively, making up for his lack of mass…while he may not have a boatload of defensive value to his game currently, his speed and work ethic could make him a decent two-way forward and penalty killer in certain situations if he really works at that part of his game over the next 3-4+ years…has shown decent versatility this year, playing both centre and either wing in the Cougars top 6….was also a regular contributor on the powerplay…scored 97 goals and had 170 points in 68 games in his bantam draft year…had 12 goals and 21 points in 55 games as a WHL rookie in 2013-14…produced consistently this year with 0.73 PPG up until December 31st and 0.76 PPG from January 1st until the end of the regular season…his 23 goals were tied for the 5th highest total among first-year draft-eligible WHL forwards…18 of those goals came at even-strength, which was the 6th best mark among that same group of forwards…scored 11% of all Prince George’s goals during the regular season…his 50 regular season points were good enough for 10th best among first-year draft-eligible WHL forwards while he was also 10th best in PPG average among that group…averaged 0.55 even-strength PPG during the regular season, 10th best among first-year draft-eligible WHL forwards…had 17 primary assists, the 8th highest mark among first-year draft-eligible WHL forwards…was a 1st round pick, 7th overall, by the Cougars at the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft… overall I see Morrison as an extremely talented and dangerous offensive player in this draft…while his lack of mass definitely hurts him, I can see him providing major value down the road if he slides outside the top 120 picks, not unlike Rourke Chartier from the 2014 NHL Draft…with the proper development his game could end up being somewhat similar to a player like Andrew Cogliano, given that his defensive game takes a couple of big strides forward…I value him as a legit 3rd round pick this year and think he has top 6 NHL potential, even though I feel like he’ll end up more as a 5th round pick come June’s Draft…

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've looked around, but found almost nothing. The thing about this guy is that he's big (6'3, 190-200) and he's put up points every single year and level he's played at. He's about a year older than most players drafted in this draft, so that might be why he fell so far, but he's big and he scores a lot. Thats all I've found so far.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
He's big, nifty hands, good in tight areas, creative, scores goals and assists them. Only played in Djurgården J20-team this past season and will hopefully get a much better look this upcoming one. Had great success with linemate Lukas Vejdemo(MTL) and put up a league-leading 61 points in 48 games during the regular season. Ended up winning the championship too.

Really hard to tell what kind of success he'll have as he gets to higher levels. It's one of those players that you just take year by year and see how he develops.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
From SNY

http://snyrangersblog.com/prospects/daniel-bernhardt/rangers-draft-daniel-bernhardt-at-119/

The Rangers have drafted Swedish winger Daniel Bernhardt at pick #119.

He is 6-3, 190 and ranked 62nd by Central Scouting.

Bernhardt is ranked 154 by Future Considerations and they list his potential as a top-nine NHL winger.

He had 26 goals and 35 assists in 44 games in the Swedish Junior League and 1 goal and 4 assists in 4 games at the 5 Nations Tournament.

Future Considerations writes that Bernhardt is a “big, skilled winger who creates a lot of offense by entering the zone with speed. He protects the puck with his long reach and can change directions pretty quickly. He needs to bring more bite to his game and he is an average defensive player. ‘If you like puck possession hockey, Daniel is a very good fit.’ More of a skilled playmaker than a finisher but he can do both.â€

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
From future considerations:

his big, skilled winger creates a lot of offense by entering the offensive zone with good speed and protecting the puck with his long reach. He keeps the puck away from the defenders with pretty skilled hands and a decent wrist shot. Good top speed but just average acceleration. He is quite shifty and can change directions pretty quickly, often throwing off defenders. He is not a physically punishing player, but is pretty strong on his feet in regards to fending off defenders along the wall. He is no softie, but it would be nice to see him bring more bite and be able to use his impressive frame more effectively. Average defensive player, but has shown improved hustling and back checking from last season’s many lackadaisical efforts. If you like puck possession hockey, Daniel is a very good fit. He needs to improve his slapshot and his first step, which isn’t horrible but not really an asset either. Top speed is good though. And adding some more pounds to that six-foot-three frame wouldn’t hurt. More of a skilled playmaker with his vision and creativity than a finisher, but he can do both. NHL POTENTIAL: Top-Nine Offensive Winger

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
From future considerations:

his big, skilled winger creates a lot of offense by entering the offensive zone with good speed and protecting the puck with his long reach. He keeps the puck away from the defenders with pretty skilled hands and a decent wrist shot. Good top speed but just average acceleration. He is quite shifty and can change directions pretty quickly, often throwing off defenders. He is not a physically punishing player, but is pretty strong on his feet in regards to fending off defenders along the wall. He is no softie, but it would be nice to see him bring more bite and be able to use his impressive frame more effectively. Average defensive player, but has shown improved hustling and back checking from last season’s many lackadaisical efforts. If you like puck possession hockey, Daniel is a very good fit. He needs to improve his slapshot and his first step, which isn’t horrible but not really an asset either. Top speed is good though. And adding some more pounds to that six-foot-three frame wouldn’t hurt. More of a skilled playmaker with his vision and creativity than a finisher, but he can do both. NHL POTENTIAL: Top-Nine Offensive Winger
Well ofcourse not. The franchise runs from them no matter who is in charge!

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
This guy led the Swedish Juniors in scoring overall and was second in points per game behind linemate Lukas Vejdemo, who was drafted 32 picks earlier by Montreal. Plays both wings. First season in the U20 Swedish league, which explains why he wasn't drafted last season. Obviously made a big improvement to go from a U18 league to being the top scorer in the U20 league. Year to year improvement is arguably the best predictor of success, much more so than looking at what he's presently good at. You want a riser, not someone who has plateaued after enormous expectations (McColgan was once viewed as a potential #1 overall draft pick, there was even a thread on HF McColgan v. Nugent-Hopkins).

Reports have him as a good skater with nifty hands, but no defense, but defense is the easiest thing to teach. Let's hope he makes the SHL next season and performs well.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If this guy reaches his potential, we may one day look back at the Lundqvist injury as huge good luck since it allowed the Rangers to get value for Talbot.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Ok I am seriously adopting this dude as my prospect. I expect him to become a first or second line winger. I am calling it now and going for broke. If I am right in 3 or 4 years everyone has to say so and kiss my ass. I called it. This dude is the missing link. Remember I told you this on June 29th 2015. :yo: On my 1800'th post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad