2015 NHL Draft: Edmonton Oilers draft review

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
^ya that's what i have complained about might happen to McD on that hockey site....i guess Eichel has a better probability of success than McD does, despite having apparently less talent :huh:

All the skill in the world can't compare to ryan o Reilly's mentoring

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, I don't get McDavid getting a C. Yeah, Crosby got a C, but that was wrong too. Eichel having a better probability of success makes no sense.

I really can't see McDavid dropping that badly.

oilz89*

The more I hear of Bear, the more I love this pick

I also really like what Betker has become, hes massive but also a pretty good skater and puck mover. Hes like a better skating, bigger Musil. He could have a bottom pairing career if it goes right

Oilers have alot of draft and follow D with boom or bust potential. Laleggia was the first and hes really coming into his own. Now they added Marino, Jones, Bear all with good upsides but could bust. Lagesson is one I feel will shock everyone in NCAA next year

Hopefully Oilers get lucky with one of these guys and they turn into a late round steal that turns into a number 3 guy. Itd be a luxury with Nurse, Klefbom, GR, Sekera, but itd be nice

I agree with all of these especially Laleggia, Lagesson and Bear.
I know its too early but what player would you compare Bear to?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The weaknesses are interesting:

1) lack of size and depth down the middle: With McDavid, Draisatl and Yakimov alone it is hard to imagine many team's prospect pool have ever looked better in this regard. Add in guys like Chase and Platzer. And while he is probably correctly listed as a winger going forward Khaira has also been a center for most of his ast 5 years.

2) Laleggia was a pretty solid pp qb in the NCAA.

I'd also say that who ever ranked the wingers has never seen Slepyshev play or at least not much.

theoil

Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
The weaknesses are interesting:

1) lack of size and depth down the middle: With McDavid, Draisatl and Yakimov alone it is hard to imagine many team's prospect pool have ever looked better in this regard. Add in guys like Chase and Platzer. And while he is probably correctly listed as a winger going forward Khaira has also been a center for most of his ast 5 years.

2) Laleggia was a pretty solid pp qb in the NCAA.

I'd also say that who ever ranked the wingers has never seen Slepyshev play or at least not much.

Looking forward to seeing Slepyshev in Penticton next week.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Best player since Crosby or Gretzky! Probability of success... eh a C I guess
I was going to ask that. Is C the best or something?
Because if ever a player would deserve the highest probability of success (their words) ranking you would think it would be McDavid.
Looks like every Oiler prospect is either a C or a D. That's not even possible.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Because if ever a player would deserve the highest probability of success (their words) ranking you would think it would be McDavid.

Except for Zharkov who has a skill of 7.0, but a probability of success score of 'F'

Does this list make any sense?

Edit: I guess this sort of explains it
http://oilonwhyte.com/2014/10/26/daniil-zharkov-forgotten-russian/

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

It's really not that egregious, A 10 C means they think he'll possibly be a generational player or worst case scenario he could only be a 1st line center ala Spezza.

"C – May reach potential, could drop 2 ratings – has shown some flashes, but may ultimately not have what it takes to reach his potential. The potential rating is multiplied by 80 percent for depth chart purposes to show the uncertainty of a player reaching his potential."

Here's a full in depth explanation of the ratings and probability scale. http://www.hockeysfuture.com/playerprojections/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad