2015 NHL Draft: Edmonton Oilers draft review

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
connor_mcdavid_edmonton_062615.jpg
Photo: First overall pick Connor McDavid becomes the Edmonton Oilers’ top prospect and might represent a step forward in the evolution of the NHL game itself (courtesy of Jeff Vinnick/NHLI via Getty Images)

Call them the draft lottery kings. After earning the first overall selection in the 2010, 2011 and 2012 NHL Drafts, the Edmonton Oilers secured the highly-coveted 2015 top pick, despite finishing third from last at the conclusion of the 2014-15 season.

New general manager Peter Chiarelli cleaned house shortly after being appointed, making moves from the prospect level all the way up to the management team. Notable changes in the pipeline included trades that sent Travis Ewanyk to the Ottawa Senators, Liam Coughlin to the Chicago Blackhawks and Martin Marincin to the Toronto Maple Leafs.… read more

The post 2015 NHL Draft: Edmonton Oilers draft review appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Hey,

On behalf of Oilers fans, please change Ben Betker. He is not a 5.5 D. Kthx.

yes he is. The question is will he be able to adjust to the NHL speed and style. Some here are hoping he grows into a Matt Greene style D-man or he could be worse then Bryan Young. Most scouts and prospect reports have him needing up to 5 years of development in the Ahl before he should get a wiff of the the nhl.

Both him and Chase are being heavily over values by some posters here

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
yes he is. The question is will he be able to adjust to the NHL speed and style. Some here are hoping he grows into a Matt Greene style D-man or he could be worse then Bryan Young. Most scouts and prospect reports have him needing up to 5 years of development in the Ahl before he should get a wiff of the the nhl.

Just like some posters will undervalue any player that is an Oiler.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Just like some posters will undervalue any player that is an Oiler.

when it comes to guys taken in the 6th and 7th round--conservative optimism is the best option--Just look at what happen with Martin Gernet? how many people fell in love with the guy only to write him off as quick?

He fell in the draft for a reason--he spent the last two years being a man playing against boys

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
when it comes to guys taken in the 6th and 7th round--conservative optimism is the best option--Just look at what happen with Martin Gernet? how many people fell in love with the guy only to write him off as quick?

He fell in the draft for a reason--he spent the last two years being a man playing against boys
Andy Moog says hi.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

You're right. Why bother getting hopes up for late round picks. Might as well not draft in those rounds because they won't pan out.

But really, people are being cautiously optimistic. Nobody is making these grandiose projections.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Andy Moog says hi.

if ta gotta go back 30+ years and find a goalie to win an argument--you win the internet

since 1985---how many oiler picks taken after 160th overall played more then 160 games in the nhl?

Buchy 188 in 85
Shon Podein 166 in 88--how many games did he play as an oiler
David Oliver 233-91
Ladislav Benysek 161 in 92 ( how many of you remember him being an oiler)
Fernando Pisani 195 96
Troy Bodie 259-2003 (no games as an oiler)
Brodziuk 921 -2003

Pisani and Brodzuik are the guys who should have used to win the argument--2 players in 30 years of drafting?

Ben Betker is going have issues adjusting to the NHL level according to most scouting reports I have read. Mobility, foot speed and seeing the ice are going to his biggest problem..he needs to learn how to read the ice when the game get fast

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
if ta gotta go back 30+ years and find a goalie to win an argument--you win the internet

since 1985---how many oiler picks taken after 160th overall played more then 160 games in the nhl?

Buchy 188 in 85
Shon Podein 166 in 88--how many games did he play as an oiler
David Oliver 233-91
Ladislav Benysek 161 in 92 ( how many of you remember him being an oiler)
Fernando Pisani 195 96
Troy Bodie 259-2003 (no games as an oiler)
Brodziuk 921 -2003

Pisani and Brodzuik are the guys who should have used to win the argument--2 players in 30 years of drafting?

Ben Betker is going have issues adjusting to the NHL level according to most scouting reports I have read. Mobility, foot speed and seeing the ice are going to his biggest problem..he needs to learn how to read the ice when the game get fast
The point is good players can still be drafted late in the draft. Brandon Davidson could be a good one and he was drafted in the 6th round.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Geez all I wanted was a 6-6.5 C :laugh:

The fact that he got an ELC at all as a 6th rounder should be evidence of a quantum leap forward in his development.

He's a better prospect than a guy like Kanzig, who has similar size and is rated a 6.5 C.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Betker is a solid defensive prospect. He has a lot more going for him than Young did. He is a better skater, he's bigger and he has better puck skills. Young was the definition of a stay at home defenseman who could also dish out some solid open ice hits.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Betker is a solid defensive prospect. He has a lot more going for him than Young did. He is a better skater, he's bigger and he has better puck skills. Young was the definition of a stay at home defenseman who could also dish out some solid open ice hits.

I've been impressed by Betker when i've seen him and his WHL even strength production suggests a possible NHLer. We'll have to see how he adjusts to the pro game but he's a big guy who moves well enough and isn't devoid of skill. Still a big unknown but i like him as a dark horse prospect.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Everytime i see Chase i see a guy who looks like a hockey player. He's a pain in the ass and he's got skill, his AHL stints have gone well and he's been an impact junior player. I see no reason not to have optimisim, his resume is amongst the best of the non blue chippers (Nurse-Reinhart-McDavid-Draisaitl). Nobody knows what's going to happen but he's tracking well enough to suggest a possible middle 6 forward.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
But Eichel is listed under Buffalo's centers but McDavid isn't listed under the Oilers centers.

it's not complete at all yet. Marner isn't under Toronto yet too. I'm not sure why there is delay in this. I would like to see McDavid under there, and I would like to see his rating under his profile as well. I guess they don't have the time...

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

When did you last see Betker? He was very good during the prospects camp. His skating in particular was much better than it was last year. Over all he has made great strides in the last year.

Chase is not really being over rated here. He plays a pro style game and has the tools to make the NHL.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
When did you last see Betker? He was very good during the prospects camp. His skating in particular was much better than it was last year. Over all he has made great strides in the last year.

Chase is not really being over rated here. He plays a pro style game and has the tools to make the NHL.

The 12 months after Chases draft many posters had him making the team by 16/17

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
As a big Ethan Bear fan I want to note that they have his stats wrong. He had 38 not 28 points.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The more I hear of Bear, the more I love this pick

I also really like what Betker has become, hes massive but also a pretty good skater and puck mover. Hes like a better skating, bigger Musil. He could have a bottom pairing career if it goes right

Oilers have alot of draft and follow D with boom or bust potential. Laleggia was the first and hes really coming into his own. Now they added Marino, Jones, Bear all with good upsides but could bust. Lagesson is one I feel will shock everyone in NCAA next year

Hopefully Oilers get lucky with one of these guys and they turn into a late round steal that turns into a number 3 guy. Itd be a luxury with Nurse, Klefbom, GR, Sekera, but itd be nice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad