23 - Jens Looke
22 - Jansen Harkins
21 - Jack Roslovic
20 - Travis Konecny
19 - Nicolas Meloche
18 - Daniel Sprong
17 - Lawson Crouse
16 - Timo Meier

Reminder, the rankings are accumulation of subjective opinions, even if the subjective opinions have been shaped by objective information.
The write ups and statistical information in the articles though are very objective and interesting.
:)

** On Pavel Zacha **
For Zacha slip up (IMO it's a slip up), see post 940.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The one thing about Sprong is he is reportedly a hard worker and not the lazy sort. I think that's a more important trait for the Jets than the things mentioned about Sprong. The NHL will humble him.

We don't know what the Jets thought of his interview but the thing I think of this year every time there is any doubt raised about any player is that it is easy to pass. The next guy is just as good. You have to draw the line somewhere of course. If you look hard enough you will find something wrong with everyone.

I think I said something like 'If true'. If I didn't I should have. If it is a serious concern, take somebody else. There are lots of good players available.

jetkarma*

A while back there was some discussion regarding whether Kevin Cheveldayoff actually "scouted" or was he simply letting his staff do that with little input from himself.

One position was that he shouldn't be credited for the drafting , or given a certain amount of credit because after all that isn't "his job " .

Of course the scouting staff do most of the watching and do it full time , some did not feel he actually scouted or had a solid background in that area . Here's a link to an interview I heard earlier in the year where he discusses the Jets prospect mostly . It was after the WJC . In the interview he provides the information that he not only likes to scout but cut his teeth doing so . Both pro and amateur .

It was also downplayed when the fact that this year he was on the road scouting for 20 or 22 days of that month was given . I think this should dispell the notion that he isn't deeply involved in the process and that he isn't providing the leadership and direction for the scouting this organization does.

Not only did he increase the amount of staff involved , he has structured the scouting component for this team and has put his personal stamp on it .

The trade with Buffalo reflects this as well , as he was adamant about the young prospects that were involved .

The scouting talk starts just before the 13 minute mark . Worth listening to the whole segment if you haven't already. Mostly things we know but he does talk about how the Jets feel a prospect may be ready . Not the weight , but that strength matters , using Trouba as an example .

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/winnip...ew-feb-9-2014/

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
A while back there was some discussion regarding whether Kevin Cheveldayoff actually "scouted" or was he simply letting his staff do that with little input from himself.

One position was that he shouldn't be credited for the drafting , or given a certain amount of credit because after all that isn't "his job " .

Of course the scouting staff do most of the watching and do it full time , some did not feel he actually scouted or had a solid background in that area . Here's a link to an interview I heard earlier in the year where he discusses the Jets prospect mostly . It was after the WJC . In the interview he provides the information that he not only likes to scout but cut his teeth doing so . Both pro and amateur .

It was also downplayed when the fact that this year he was on the road scouting for 20 or 22 days of that month was given . I think this should dispell the notion that he isn't deeply involved in the process and that he isn't providing the leadership and direction for the scouting this organization does.

Not only did he increase the amount of staff involved , he has structured the scouting component for this team and has put his personal stamp on it .

The trade with Buffalo reflects this as well , as he was adamant about the young prospects that were involved .

The scouting talk starts just before the 13 minute mark . Worth listening to the whole segment if you haven't already. Mostly things we know but he does talk about how the Jets feel a prospect may be ready . Not the weight , but that strength matters , using Trouba as an example .

It was a small minded viewpoint for sure. Nice to see something more concrete that speaks for itself.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
So there must be a draft GDT coming and the mods just decided to let this one build up til then ;)

I have no doubt Chevy has scouting roots and instincts. I truly believe that he was able to give the scouting staff a philosophy and a focus that has made them successful. When he got hired things seemed to change dramatically (maybe it was luck? Maybe not?) I think what you see going on in Edmonton is the same sort of thing except those scouts could not accept the changes that Chiarelli brought, whereas Marcel Comeau and the rest adapted to the new boss.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So there must be a draft GDT coming and the mods just decided to let this one build up til then ;)

I have no doubt Chevy has scouting roots and instincts. I truly believe that he was able to give the scouting staff a philosophy and a focus that has made them successful. When he got hired things seemed to change dramatically (maybe it was luck? Maybe not?) I think what you see going on in Edmonton is the same sort of thing except those scouts could not accept the changes that Chiarelli brought, whereas Marcel Comeau and the rest adapted to the new boss.

Not a bad theory. Generally you have to adapt to new leadership or move on. The stakes are way too high not to have complete trust that your employees will carry out your vision/direction.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Good listen. Pretty much how I thought they acted. Chevy has his own book on guys (Ultimately not as thorough as the scouts) but enough that he can challenge his scouts on their assessment of the players. This really forces our scouts to really come prepared ready to defend their picks as the boss has a good understanding of who you are going to bat for.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Did anyone ever really thought it was differently? I don't think anyone *reasonable* ever thought Chevy had nothing to do with it.

Some were just realistic that Chevy hasn't seen all 200+ draft eligible prospects by 2 or more games... as all scouts haven't hahah.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Did anyone ever really thought it was differently? I don't think anyone *reasonable* ever thought Chevy had nothing to do with it.

Some were just realistic that Chevy hasn't seen all 200+ draft eligible prospects by 2 or more games... as all scouts haven't hahah.

I think some on here thought he played a very miner role in the draft.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Yeah, always wonder how much each individual scout sees. I sat by one on a flight back from Chicago and he had his "teams" that he saw more often, so some guys get a better look, but some guys not so much. I gotta think it's a consensus thing and Chevy has his hand stirring the pot the whole time. Certain characteristics are looked for in addition to the IQ, skill, smarts.

And Garret got the 1138 post - never thought it would get that far. [/nerd]

jetkarma*

Yes .

Several posters thought it was very different than what it is and what I stated and were adamant that Chevy was basically along for the ride . Just like some thought the Jets didn't make changes in the amount of scouts they employed.

The principle architect of Jets scouting is Chevy . It's something he does well.

jetkarma*

I think some on here thought he played a very miner role in the draft.

Correct , and they felt any credit for draft successes should go to the scouting staff , Comeau , but not Chevy .

He also pro scouts , so he's involved in all scouting aspects .

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Correct , and they felt any credit for draft successes should go to the scouting staff , Comeau , but not Chevy .

He also pro scouts , so he's involved in all scouting aspects .

Anyone know how scouts get paid? Any bonuses a few years after the drafts? A good scout can make a team!

Would be awesome to see their notes and lists from 10 Years back.

jetkarma*

Anyone know how scouts get paid? Any bonuses a few years after the drafts? A good scout can make a team!

Would be awesome to see their notes and lists from 10 Years back.

There's no uniform scale or template . Each team dictates how and how much they want to pay or allocate to scouting . Good organizations pay well and treat their scouting staff well .

Some did begrudgingly pay their scouts in the past , of course that doesn't lead to loyalty and they moved to other teams easily .

With good teams , scouts that do well are valued and that is reflected in the compensation .

There's a great story where a scout for the Flyers was so adamant on who they should draft and kept stating that emphatically and strongly draft day . Names kept getting thrown out and he finally pounded the table and said if we don't draft PLAYER G , I will quit .

They ended up drafting Player G . It was the right call :)

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
^ that scout clearly didn't mention the name of player G enough.
His GM forgot the name on stage.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Scouting is interesting if it is at the WHL often it is retired guys and it is part time compensation that isn't much. I was talking to a GM of a WHL team from BC and asked him specifically what makes a good scout and he said hard work is the most important factor. He said give me a scout that grinds any day. He said he would far prefer a scout that sees a player 8 or 10 times minimum than a scout who sees a kid two or three times.

Now that's at the WHL level where they have smaller budgets, At the pro level I assume it is a bit different.i know Detroit paid their best Euro scout allot of money because they thought he was a special talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad