Weight: 163
Position: Right Wing
Shoots: Right
Birthplace: Massachusetts

Garland,%20Conor.png

crop_2593298_27_1422671406.jpeg

Ranked #100 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #134 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #86 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)

In Moncton this past season, Garland was one-third of the most dangerous line in the Q, the so-called GAB line featuring Ivan Barbashev (2014 St. Louis Blues pick) and Cameron Askew (2015 draft eligible).

Garland is not so much a magician with the puck as he is a warlock with it, casting black magic spells to pull off unbelievable passes. He plays a lightning-fast game, is extremely elusive, and is entirely unpredictable with the puck on his stick. He’s capable of making passes that no one has ever thought about or seen before. His quickness is too much for his opponents, and his elite hockey IQ is simply off the chain. Far and away he was the most exciting player to watch in the Q this season, bringing fans out of their seats again and again. There seems no limit to what he can do with the puck on his stick.

So why haven’t you heard about him? Check his specs again. At 5’8″ or 5’9″, some hockey fans are convinced that a player his size can’t succeed away from the amateur stage.

Furthermore … do his extraordinary skills translate to the pro game? No. He couldn’t get away with a lot of that in the pro leagues.

But Garland is a determined athlete, hell bent on reaching the NHL. He’s adapted his game before. If he has to adapt again in order to keep playing hockey, he’s likely more than capable of doing that.

http://thehockeywriters.com/conor-garland-the-next-ones-2015-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

He may stand at just 5’8″ 168 lbs, but Garland does not play a small man’s game. He shows a willingness to battle along the boards and get his nose dirty. Combined with his supreme stick skills, and he very well may have an NHL future. His skills are on full display below.

He had a solid year last year (54 points in 51 games), but has exploded offensively this year with a QMJHL leading 76 points in 45 games. That’s 8 more points than anyone in the league, and 24 more than his closest Moncton teammate. He’s very quick and agile, and a slippery player whose size makes him difficult to check.

“Conor is one of the most exciting players I have ever seen. His dedication to being a complete 200-foot player has been a huge part of his success. His commitment to conditioning has led to a great consistency. The sky is the limit for Conor’s future in hockey.”

NHL Player(s) Comparison: Theo Fleury … but bigger, and with smoother hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Name Nameless

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
Swing for the fence pick, but in the 5th you can't go wrong picking the Qs leading scorer. He's small, but incredibly skilled and gifted playmaker. He has Patick Kane level hands. Doesn't have blazing speed or anything, but makes up for it with vision and high offensive IQ. puck just follows him so he's a very opportunistic player. he does take 3-4 minute shifts though and not a very good back checker, but a lot of that was coaching as well. He was double and triple shifted with Barbashev all year.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
This is the type of guy we've traditionally tried to sign as a UFA. Miele, Shinimin. Missed on Tyler Johnson so draft and see. Could play AhL next yr?

ScottsdaleYote

May 29, 2011
Speaking of short players, is Debrincat eligible next year or the year after? I wonder what his prospect are given his style?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
This is the type of guy we've traditionally tried to sign as a UFA. Miele, Shinimin. Missed on Tyler Johnson so draft and see. Could play AhL next yr?

He has to go back to the Q for one more year before he can play AHL.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005

Not eligible for AHL next year. He's got 1 year CHL left. He won't have Barbashev on his line this year but Moncton is drafting 2 new euros so you never know. He may also get moved to a contender. In any case I expect him to light up the Q again this season.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Came out of the draft with the top scorer from two leagues. And you guys were upset that we weren't going to get a Conor... sheez... ;)

Reactions: Name Nameless

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I always viewed him as our Vrbata replacement one day. Vrbata was gone sooner than I thought he would be and Garland hasn't grown as quickly as I assumed he would, but I still stand that he could become the equivalent +/- some tools.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a good judge of NHL talent, but it's encouraging that he continues to improve.

The production is mostly a difference in usage. He was stuck in the bottom 6, sometimes the 4th line, previously. Whether or not his defensive game has improved is up to Tucson fans and the coaches. I imagine that's why he hasn't gotten the call.

Reactions: MIG

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
The production is mostly a difference in usage. He was stuck in the bottom 6, sometimes the 4th line, previously. Whether or not his defensive game has improved is up to Tucson fans and the coaches. I imagine that's why he hasn't gotten the call.
I forget who it was but I recall a poster before the season started saying that Garlands D looked considerably better and he was spending less time floating and more time engaging in the play. I hope that still rings true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad