Speculation: 2015 NHL Deadline Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Alright, well the last thread was filled but never restarted. With the team being as close to the bottom of the league compared to a playoff spot, we should start collecting some rumors to get a feeling what the Flyers are thinking according to sources.

BillDineen mentioned we should post the rumors according to players too. I will try to keep track of the rumors and update the OP as much as I can between work and school when it starts again. There will probably be a ton of rumors from now till the deadline so if anyone sees a rumor just post it and hopefully I see it. If you see that I haven't updated the thread shoot me a private message with the rumor you saw so I can put it in the OP.

Players who are bound to be in the rumors are Coburn, MDZ, Schultz, Grossmann, both Schenn's, Read, Vinny, Umberger. I think they will be the most prominent at least.

We will start the rumor thread off with a bang! Eklund RUMOR!!! It's something to talk about though.

The first part of the post will be the rumors of outgoing Flyers, the second part will be rumors of players we are interested in.

OUTGOING:

VINNY:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...er-The-Trade-Deadline-Zone-Full-Force/1/65455

*The Florida Panthers and Predators are leading all other teams when it comes to Vincent Lecavalier.. If a deal gets done I would be surprised...but there is definite talk.

DEFENSE:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...er-The-Trade-Deadline-Zone-Full-Force/1/65455

* A source tells me the Flyers are trying to move a d-man, but were offered a deal for prospect Sam Morin and said, "not a chance."

This is going to be a nice way to track some people's credibility as well....

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I don't think they should move Morin unless it's for a top 2 pick, which won't happen, so I would just keep him.

I think anyone but Giroux and Voracek are really untouchable. I'd add Couturier and Laughton to that list, but I don't know if the brass would. Other than that, I'd listen to any offer on any player. I am not advocating a full-on fire sale by any means, but if someone calls about Morin, I'd listen. Top 2 pick would easily get it done, but I'd probably deal him for less depending on the offer.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Thanks for making the thread.

I think we could luck out on the Preds success. They are 1rst overall and can acquire Vinny for no assets. If Vinny keeps scoring a few goals and Preds think they have a shot, he will be the cheapest offense they can buy. He came to Philly for Lavy, so I think he would wave to go there.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think anyone but Giroux and Voracek are really untouchable. I'd add Couturier and Laughton to that list, but I don't know if the brass would. Other than that, I'd listen to any offer on any player. I am not advocating a full-on fire sale by any means, but if someone calls about Morin, I'd listen. Top 2 pick would easily get it done, but I'd probably deal him for less depending on the offer.

Hextall has been preaching patience with prospects and young players. Of course a GM will listen to any offers that come through his office but there should be players that are held in high regard. Couts, Laughton, Morin, Sanheim, Ghost are among those who should hold a ton of value for our team. Couts is producing better offensively this year as well while still playing those tough defensive minutes. What package would come along to trade one of our top 3 defensive prospects? A top pick isn't happening.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Hextall has been preaching patience with prospects and young players. Of course a GM will listen to any offers that come through his office but there should be players that are held in high regard. Couts, Laughton, Morin, Sanheim, Ghost are among those who should hold a ton of value for our team. Couts is producing better offensively this year as well while still playing those tough defensive minutes. What package would come along to trade one of our top 3 defensive prospects? A top pick isn't happening.

Exactly my point. I see no reason to move him considering we know nothing about what he can bring. Short of a massive overpayment, which won't happen, I see no point to move him.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

If anything, Morin and Sanheim should be considered untouchable before Laughton. They're this teams only real hope of building a respectable defense (along with Ghost, Hagg, Alt, Freidman, etc.). If you move Laughton, you still have Giroux and Couturier in your top six. And let's face it, some of the concern about Laughton's offense at the NHL level appears valid. He's played well and looks the part, but he's still only produced 5 points in 24 games.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
If anything, Morin and Sanheim should be considered untouchable before Laughton. They're this teams only real hope of building a respectable defense (along with Ghost, Hagg, Alt, Freidman, etc.). If you move Laughton, you still have Giroux and Couturier in your top six. And let's face it, some of the concern about Laughton's offense at the NHL level appears valid. He's played well and looks the part, but he's still only produced 5 points in 24 games.

Come on, it's the kids first NHL season that has lasted more than 5 games. He has shown he has the skills and is a competitor. I think the 5 points in 24 games while getting 11-13 minutes a night has no impact on my opinion on his offensive potential in the NHL. He isn't going to be playing ahead of players like Schenn, Couts, Read, Simmonds and others for PP time either. He has played just fine IMO.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Come on, it's the kids first NHL season that has lasted more than 5 games. He has shown he has the skills and is a competitor. I think the 5 points in 24 games while getting 11-13 minutes a night has no impact on my opinion on his offensive potential in the NHL. He isn't going to be playing ahead of players like Schenn, Couts, Read, Simmonds and others for PP time either. He has played just fine IMO.

I'm not coming down on Laughton. I just don't think he's some untouchable player that's the key to solving the secondary scoring issues. I think he'll be a fine NHL player. A faster version of Chris Kelly is what I've always said about him, and to this point, that's kind of what he looks like.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don't think you will see offense for a few years (if it does come). His OHL career suggests it takes him time to adjust to a level. In a perfect world he would still be in the AHL, but we don't have many options.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I'm not coming down on Laughton. I just don't think he's some untouchable player that's the key to solving the secondary scoring issues. I think he'll be a fine NHL player. A faster version of Chris Kelly is what I've always said about him, and to this point, that's kind of what he looks like.

One thing we also have to discuss when moving the young players is their contracts. If we are trading them, we most likely are moving them for other young players or close to that. What are their cap hits? We are in a crappy situation with our teams number going forward with Pronger, Vinny and Umberger on our team number. We need these young players on our active roster to keep our cap number down. I think Laughton has more to offer than a faster Chris Kelly. I don't like making comparison with players but I think he can be much more than that.

FadeToBlack

Jul 1, 2012

:laugh:

Thanks for the chuckle, I needed it. Giving up on a prospects offensive ability less than 40 games into his career.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
If Vinny is moved, especially to a team like Nashville, we need to take a contract back. Stalberg was an option but man has he been bad and is in the AHL now. If his contract was one year less I would love the deal. Maybe take Olli Jokinen from them + Matt Cullen? It eliminates the money this year and they just have to pick up the last three years of Vinny's deal.

If we are trading with Florida, maybe take back Upshall, Kopecky or Fleishman? One of those three?

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
One thing we also have to discuss when moving the young players is their contracts. If we are trading them, we most likely are moving them for other young players or close to that. What are their cap hits? We are in a crappy situation with our teams number going forward with Pronger, Vinny and Umberger on our team number. We need these young players on our active roster to keep our cap number down. I think Laughton has more to offer than a faster Chris Kelly. I don't like making comparison with players but I think he can be much more than that.

I'm not suggesting trading Laughton. I just don't think he's untouchable.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Maybe a deal like this

Flyers trade:

Vinny
4th rounder

for

Fleishman

I mean it's not great for either team but it's not terrible is it?

I would even be willing to part with a 3rd rounder to get rid of that contract.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
:laugh:

Thanks for the chuckle, I needed it. Giving up on a prospects offensive ability less than 40 games into his career.

I didn't give up on his offensive potential. I've always said that I think Laughton becomes around a 40 point forward. Believe it or not, not every first round selection becomes a 60+ point producer. His offensive potential has been questioned since 2012 draft.

GingerFetish

Feb 26, 2013
Wish list:

A 2nd

Another 3rd

A C level prospect AND some AHL firepower.

Someone to replace Umberger, something like a Matt Read clone for the left side.

MPS?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Wish list:

A 2nd

Another 3rd

Someone to replace Umberger, something like a Matt Read clone for the left side.

MPS?

No chance. He was mentioned in the Coburn deal with Edmonton before and we said no go. He is not a viable option. I think he is in Europe to begin the 2015-2016 season.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Morin/Sanheim/Ghost certainly hold a ton of value. I'm not advocating going out and putting them on the block, but if there is some team looking to acquire one and they are making a legit offer, I'd certainly consider it. We have four very legit defensive prospects. Even in a perfect world I don't see all four of them making the NHL (and having legitimate impact). If someone wants to make a deal for one, likely not a 1-1 swap, but a deal involving some offensive power on the left wing for Giroux, or a current NHL defender that we KNOW is or will be a top pair.

It is unlikely this would happen, but I'd listen if it did. If, for instance, OEL is on the block and part of the deal included giving up one of our four prospects, I'd certainly consider it depending on what else was involved. Again, I don't think that this will happen, but it is not out of the realm of possibility that a GM would call in a scenario like that.

I don't think any prospects should really ever be considered untouchable. I know this place puts huge value on prospects, but until they show they are NHL ready, I don't think they are considered untouchable. We are all very hopefully both Sanheim and Morin (and Ghost and Hagg) make impacts in the NHL, but it is far from a guarantee. Maybe if we had only one legitimate defensive prospect, I would consider him untouchable, but with four, I think you should be open to move one if the right deal came along.

And again, I am not saying start trying to trade them, but if the right deal came around for one of them (or hell, even two of them), I'd be ok with it. You may wind up trading "the wrong one" and watch him become a stud. Or you might keep the right one and deal away a guy that sucks for a good return. There are "risks" on both sides, especially depending on what the returns would wind up being.

Wish list:

A 2nd

Another 3rd

MPS?

Not sure if you are serious or not, but he just got waived and we passed on him. I don't imagine the Flyers (or anyone) will be trading for him any time soon, especially considering he is an RFA at the end of the year who could probably had either A) without draft pick compensation or B) with minimal draft pick compensation. I was all for claiming him. Not sure I would want to trade for him though.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I didn't give up on his offensive potential. I've always said that I think Laughton becomes around a 40 point forward. Believe it or not, not every first round selection becomes a 60+ point producer. His offensive potential has been questioned since 2012 draft.

Yeah, he looks like the anti-Couturier. Couturier isn't flashy at all but he gets the job done, considering his situation. Laughton is forever looking great but points just aren't coming.

Doesn't help that Schenn and SImmonds have their invisibility cloaks on. (aside from Simmonds' last game)

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I don't think any prospects should really ever be considered untouchable. I know this place puts huge value on prospects, but until they show they are NHL ready, I don't think they are considered untouchable. We are all very hopefully both Sanheim and Morin (and Ghost and Hagg) make impacts in the NHL, but it is far from a guarantee. Maybe if we had only one legitimate defensive prospect, I would consider him untouchable, but with four, I think you should be open to move one if the right deal came along.

And again, I am not saying start trying to trade them, but if the right deal came around for one of them (or hell, even two of them), I'd be ok with it. You may wind up trading "the wrong one" and watch him become a stud. Or you might keep the right one and deal away a guy that sucks for a good return. There are "risks" on both sides, especially depending on what the returns would wind up being.

Unless they're moving one of them for another defenseman that's further along in their development (along with similar upside), it doesn't make sense to move any of them. You can't build a championship level defense without drafting and developing your own guys. When you try to build one through trades and UFA signings, you end up with a group like the one we have this season. This team will not get to the next level without at least a couple of the current defensive prospects hitting their potential in the coming years.

Again, this team can survive without Laughton if guys like Morin and Sanheim top out. They're not doing anything (at least not for several years) if those guys bust or underwhelm as professionals. That's why I consider them more important than a guy like Laughton.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Yeah, he looks like the anti-Couturier. Couturier isn't flashy at all but he gets the job done, considering his situation. Laughton is forever looking great but points just aren't coming.

Doesn't help that Schenn and SImmonds have their invisibility cloaks on. (aside from Simmonds' last game)

That's why I haven't ever really questioned Couturier's eventual offensive upside, at least not until we see what he's like when not saddled with insane defensive responsibilities. There's something to be said about a guy that just finds himself in the right place at the right time to pick up points like Couturier does. It's because he reads the play at such a high level that he doesn't need to make a ton of fancy plays to produce. That's not to say that Laughton has bad offensive hockey IQ, I just don't think he's elite (or even high-end) in that regard.

King Fish

Jan 29, 2003
Where's ma pizza?
Visit site
With our lack of picks this year and Hextall having the chance to see the talent level on the team, I hope he can package some players out the door. He needs to craft this team as his own and shed Homers overvalued players ie: Couts, Schenn, Read 30-40 point players who some think are 60-70 point players.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Unless they're moving one of them for another defenseman that's further along in their development (along with similar upside), it doesn't make sense to move any of them. You can't build a championship level defense without drafting and developing your own guys. When you try to build one through trades and UFA signings, you end up with a group like the one we have this season. This team will not get to the next level without at least a couple of the current defensive prospects hitting their potential in the coming years.

Again, this team can survive without Laughton if guys like Morin and Sanheim top out. They're not doing anything (at least not for several years) if those guys bust or underwhelm as professionals. That's why I consider them more important than a guy like Laughton.

That's a lot of ifs though. Laughton has shown that he is an NHLer and at just 20 years old, should improve. His defense, while not as good as Couturier, is still very good, especially given his age. Morin and Sanheim look like they too will be NHLers (along with Ghost and Hagg). But looks can be deceiving. These sentiments should not be seen as me saying Morin and Sanheim won't make it or are overrated or something along those lines, or that I think the Flyers should be looking trade to them, I just wouldn't call them untouchable because we really don't know what we have in them. I'd consider Laughton more valuable to the team because we know what we have. A young, talented, NHL center with plenty of room to grow.

While defense is certainly important, especially having young, cheap talent, it is equally important to have young, cheap talent at center. We know we have that in Laughton. We don't know that we have that in anyone of the defensemen. It is extremely unlikely that all four make the NHL as regulars. It is even more unlikely that they make it as impact regulars. We absolutely can wait and see what we have and hope for the best, but that guarantees nothing. If a team comes in and makes an offer for one, an offer that makes sense to accept, I have no problem making that deal. That doesn't mean just trade them for anything. It doesn't mean Hextall should be calling up other teams saying, "What will you give me for ..." It means that if a team says "we are willing to trade you INSERT VALUABLE ASSET HERE, but in the deal, you have to include Sanheim/Ghost/Hagg/Morin," it is a deal you should consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad