Prospect Info: 2015 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Said this before: I liked the Bracco pick alot, and have high hopes for him, but I'm shocked people are choosing him over Dermott. Dermott is my pick here for sure.

I like Bracco for his top end potential but his draft position shows how pro scouts regard his skill set and potential today. I rate him well behind players like Johnson and Leipsic who were stars as teenagers and then have stepped up their game as pros. He could have a similar season next year or morph into a beast but right now he is just a 17 year old looking to take the next step.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Can we redo #6?

There is no way Gauthier is in our top 10.

His top end potential is a bargain pick up at ufa. No way hes better than Winnik, who we picked up twice for next to nothing

Nope.

Kyle Dubas said:
With Frederik, I think he’s the type of guy a lot of people who are big on statistics and analytics would say he hasn’t produced as much as some of these other guys. And that’s true, he hasn’t. Mike uses a phrase that some guys are scout players and some guys are coach players. Every coach wants a player like Frederik on their team. You watch him, his skillset, his skating, his ability to move with the puck a little bit out here on the ice, and it’s come so far. When you talk to Sheldon, when you talk to Mike, he’s one of the players they’re most excited about. I think everybody gets excited about the high end, flashy skilled guys, but with Sheldon and Mike – the people who are standing behind the bench – they get excited about him because he’s a guy you can trust out there in any circumstance. He’s great on faceoffs, he’s a big body, he plays extremely well defensively, he’s got a great stick defensively, able to get his stick on the puck and move it up the ice.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Ahh, it's a shame Leipsic got ripped off. I thought he would be 7th... Johnson isn't a bad choice either, but I thought someone who has shown excellence on NA ice would get a little more love. Ah well, 7-15 probably won't have much of a gap in terms of skill. Top 6 was correct though... They all have excellent NHL potential and are likely to reach it. That's what separates them from the 7-15 pack.

Moonman

Maybe Next Time
Jul 3, 2015
Ahh, it's a shame Leipsic got ripped off. I thought he would be 7th... Johnson isn't a bad choice either, but I thought someone who has shown excellence on NA ice would get a little more love. Ah well, 7-15 probably won't have much of a gap in terms of skill. Top 6 was correct though... They all have excellent NHL potential and are likely to reach it. That's what separates them from the 7-15 pack.
Leipsic is my #6, but I get the feeling he's going to fall beyond #10 in this.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Leipsic is my #6, but I get the feeling he's going to fall beyond #10 in this.

Yup its unfortunate. Seems it's between him and Harrington. Both of which should be in top 10. (Harrington much higher seeing where Percy went)

PJJ

Jun 26, 2015
GTA
Hes basically a soft version of Gaustad if he even reaches that. Also his faceoff ability is greatly exaggerated. Has almost no offensive ability.
If this guy wasnt a first round pick nobody would even be discussing him let alone having him in the top 10 of these polls. But people think hes some elite 4th liner.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
It's just HF being ignorant is all. He's way better than our 8th best prospect, people are just voting for flash/size over substance.

I think Johnson was a steal for a 7th rounder and everything, but if he had re-entered the draft this year there is absolutely no way in hell he'd get picked #34 or higher.

Funny how people around here go crazy about 1st round picks, but when we pick a guy who was practically a 1st rounder (Leafs clearly had him ranked there), a Mark Hunter 1st rounder no less, he just gets completely overlooked.

People voting on this are going to look like major fools in a couple years.

Andreas Johnson was 5th in goal scoring as a 19/20 year old in arguably the 2nd best league in the world. I'd say thats impressive.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
my personal top 15:

Marner
Nylander
Brown
Kapanen
Bracco
Harrington
Johnson
Loov
Leipsic