10423279_10152976828575900_5681439328691855401_n.jpg

10917134_10152976828655900_8935823894989362979_n.jpg

B7MKKGeCUAAK16t.jpg

B7MQDLKIUAAI9aP.jpg

B7Mm1viIMAEh9Gx.jpg

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
I'll have write ups tomorrow, and hopefully a few more pictures, but what a game! I really feel sorry for anyone who was unable to go see this game. Absolutely unreal hockey.

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I'm speechless.

After the game ended, I sat right by my Section 9 pole & just thought, "I can't believe I just did that." I hope everyone who came enjoyed themselves - it was a pleasure to help put this tournament on.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
This tournament was a blast! The US-Canada games were two of the best hockey games I've ever seen. The US WJC U20 win in 2010 was great, but man I don't think I'd be lying if I said this was better. Maybe being at this event rather than watching on tv helped, but the atmosphere for the games was great. Give me a 2000+ filled HarborCenter over an NHL arena any day. Not a bad seat in the place. I can really see why some Canadian Junior arenas get more love from fans and players than NHL arenas, much more intimate setting, you really feel like you're part of the game, and even the players mentioned it was nerve racking. But onto the game:

6:30 - Pregame Warmies
As the fans started piling in, you could feel the tension start to rise up, but both teams remained lose for the warm ups.
B7L8ZTzIcAIo_q_.jpg:medium

7:00 - Gametime
B7MC7uGCAAEIBLa.jpg:medium

The US were the benefactors in their first mathcup of a hot start, but this time it was Canada who came flying out of the gate. Getting the first 5 shots on goal, Canada took an early 1-0 lead after a bad giveaway sent Shae Labbe in alone on a breakaway and she went five hole. The US had trouble with pinching their D, and Canada took advantage and had a couple 2 on 1 opportunities, but failed to connect on anything serious.

Nearing the end of the 1st however, US Captain and 3 time U18 WWC veteran Jincy Dunne went end to end and roofed a short-side backhand from about 10 ft out that tied the game up at 1-1 with 33 seconds remaining in the 1st. You could feel the energy from both the fans in the stands and players on the ice pick up after that. We had ourselves a real dog fight.

2nd Period
After getting out shot 11-5 in the opening period, the US bolstered by the Dunne goal, came out storming in the second. And 5 minutes into the period, the US was able to score off a centering feed to Alyssa Gorecki to go up 2-1. The US hadn't allowed a shot all period but we're the unfortunate recipients of some bad luck, after a Canadian pass went off a skate and deflected in to the US net about 3 minutes later. The US continued to control play, only giving up one more shot to Canada the rest of the period, but the game remained tied 2-2.

3rd Period
Nervous tension filled the air in the stands as both sides realized that any mistake now could seal the victory for the other side. The US may have been controlling play, their was always the threat of the Canadian counter attack and Canadian goalie Marlene Boissonnault was having herself a game. Canada took 5 penalties in the 3rd, but the US couldn't get past Boissonnault despite some grade A chances. Canada's best chance to take the lead came late in the 3rd while shorthanded. Another bad pinch by a US defender sent Canadian Kristin O'Neill in alone, but Kaitlin Burt came up huge and denied that chance, plus the follow up opportunities.

With less than a minute to go, Jincy Dunne again went down the right wing and made a move to get by the defender, however she was pulled down by Josiane Pozzebon and with 30 seconds to go, the US was headed to their 7th PP (0-6). The US called timeout to try and come up with a plan to win the game in regulation, but Canada was able to clear the puck and we were headed to overtime!

OT Period
There was a little question among the fans on how the OT format would go, 5 on 5, how long, continuous, etc. IIHF rules state that a gold medal game that goes to OT would include a 20 minutes sudden death period with a full intermission, and if no goal is scored, a best of 3 shootout would commence until a winner was decided. And all OT periods are played 4 on 4. However with the US on the PP, they were going to have 1:30 of the start of OT with a 4 on 3, so you can imagine much of their intermission time was spent trying to formulate a plan to end it in that time frame.
B7Mf8_yCMAAzenz.jpg:medium

The US won the opening draw and were quick to enter the zone, after a little perimeter passing, Dunne went around the back of the net and tried to drop a pass to Rebecca Gilmore, however there was some miscommunication and Canada was able to fire it down the ice and get in a change (the OT period was played with the long change). The US tried to take advantage of that fact and sent a quick stretch pass up to #6 Melissa Samoskevich, who dropped it off to #18 Abby Roque. Roque entered the zone and was immediately pressured by a Canadian defender. She was able to get it off to #24 Rebecca Gilmore, who saw an opportunity to quickly sling a pass across to Jincy Dunne, who had a ton of space. Dunne took her time, eyed up her target, and fired a quick wrist shot just under the crossbar blocker side. Boissonnault may have actually even been screened by her teammate on the play. But he horn sounded, the goal light went off, and the US was able to celebrate winning the gold on home soil, and ending a Canadian run, which saw Canada win 3 straight.

Jincy Dunne, Captain America, Golden Goal!

B7NGi5wIAAA6d4J.jpg:medium

B7NGXsqCAAAKrPL.jpg:medium

B7NF9PtIUAAi-SP.jpg:medium

B7NF2TQIgAEWh-A.jpg:medium

Last edited:

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I heard the Czech goalie lost the tip of her finger....Guess the shot was so hard it took the tip right off.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
I heard the Czech goalie lost the tip of her finger....Guess the shot was so hard it took the tip right off.

Possibly. I haven't heard much about that after, all I know was that she was taken to the hospital. It was a bomb of a shot though and she got it right in the hand.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
News Articles:

Sportsnet - http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/under-18s-put-on-a-show-in-iihf-gold-medal-game/

BUFFALO — Arm-in-arm, the American team swayed side to side, scream-singing their national anthem.

A blueline away stood the gutted Canadians, hands on hips and tears still falling for some, with the silver medals they didn’t want draped around their necks. Sarah Potomak of Aldergrove, B.C., wiped away tears as she accepted the award for tournament MVP and top forward. “I don’t care about anything,†Potomak said later, eyes still tearing up, blonde hair in a ponytail. “I just wanted to win gold.â€
This is the closest women get to the men’s world junior experience; there is no U-20 worlds for girls. And while it wasn’t broadcast in HD or hyped for weeks or held over the holidays, it was enormous. It had all the emotion—perhaps more, even—that we’re used to seeing on New Years Day and in the World Junior Championship final.
* This tournament was a spectacularly good show. It was incredibly fast, heads-up hockey, and it looked at times like body checking was legal. Buffalo Sabres coach Ted Nolan popped up from his seat between the third and overtime to inquire about Jincy Dunne. Then he made that scrunched face you make when you’re pleasantly surprised, raised his eyebrows, and nodded. “She’s a good player,†he said. Nolan also liked Canada’s goaltending (though when Boissonnault was informed after the game, it only caused more tears.) Other NHL sightings: Cody Hodgson and Pavel Datsyuk.
*Tickets to the gold medal final cost an affordable $20, and every seat was a good one. You could get a tallboy for $5, and a sandwich for $7.

* A great sign for the future of women’s hockey: There were scalpers. A $20 ticket was going for $40 or $50.

*Canada and the U.S. have now won four times apiece here in the tournament’s eight-year history. That sets up another grudge-match next year, when the tournament moves to St. Catharines, Ont. It will be worth the trip.

TSN - http://www.tsn.ca/dunne-lifts-u-s-over-canada-in-overtime-for-under-18-women-s-gold-1.181228 *
* A lot of what is in this "report" is wrong
BUFFALO, N.Y. - Jincy Dunne scored twice — including the overtime winner — as the United States edged Canada 3-2 on Monday to win the women's under-18 hockey championship.

Buffalo News - http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/youth-hockey/its-a-dunne-deal-giving-us-women-gold-medal-20150112

Of course it was Jincy Dunne. It had to be.

The defenseman from Missouri was the leader of this United States team before it even came together in Buffalo.

This was her third time putting on the USA jersey for the IIHF Women’s U18 World Championship. She had two silver medals. She wanted a gold. In the worst way.

And she made it happen.

Dunne scored two dramatic goals for the U.S. Monday night, including the overtime game-winner as the Americans defeated Canada, 3-2, to win the gold medal in front of 2,000 at HarborCenter.

161662-U18hockey-scull-014-625x375.jpg

B7MDmqkIcAAqpCq.jpg:medium

03_USA_Canada_Gold_Wippert_medium.jpeg

04_USA_Canada_Gold_Wippert_medium.jpeg

08_USA_Canada_Gold_Wippert_medium.jpeg

05_USA_Canada_Gold_Wippert_medium.jpeg

B7Mhu4lCIAAH0JK.jpg:medium

26_USA_Canada_Gold_Wippert_medium.jpeg

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - Womens Under-18 World Championships Gold Medal Game - United States 3 Canada 2 (OT) -
HarborCenter - Buffalo, NY - Monday, January 12 - USAHockey.com

Buffalo, New York - United States Women's National Under-18 Team Captain Jincy Dunne (O’Fallon, Missouri/St. Louis Lady Blues U19) tallied two goals - including the Gold-Medal clinching goal - in an exciting 3-2 overtime victory against rival Canada in the 2015 International Ice Hockey Federation Under-18 Women's World Championship Gold Medal Game in front of a soldout crowd at the HarborCenter in Buffalo, NY.

First Period - Canada took the early lead in the opening period, scoring just 3:14 in. However, the United States tallied the equalizer with 33 seconds left in the frame when Dunne skated end-to-end and roofed a backhand shot top right corner.

Second Period - United States notched the go-ahead goal at the 15-minute mark when Alex Woken (Fargo, North Dakota/Shattuck-St. Mary’s) at the left half wall passed to Alyssa Gorecki (Monee, Illinois/Chicago Mission) standing between the hash marks, and she one-timed a shot between the pads of Canadian goaltender Marlene Boissonnault. Canada rallied and evened the game at two just 3:28 later.

Third Period - The 2-2 score stood through a third period filled with end-to-end action, including another Dunne scoring chance that was kept out only by the knob of Boissonnault’s stick, sending the game to overtime.

Overtime - United States started the extra frame on the power play. Following a Canadian clear, Melissa Samoskevich (Sandy Hook, Connecticut/Shattuck-St. Mary’s) carried the puck back into the offensive zone, dropped it back to Abby Roque (Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan/Sault Area High School) at the point who skated to the left half wall. Roque passed to Rebecca Gilmore (Wayland, Massachusetts/Assabet Valley) at the left point, who then passed over to Dunne at the right point. Dunne skated into the top of the right circle and snapped a wrist shot past Boissonnault just 51 seconds into overtime to claim the Gold Medal for the United States for the first time since 2011.

Awards - Jincy Dunne was named United States Player Of The Game. Dunne finished the tournament leading all defenseman in scoring with eight points.
Dunne, Goalie Kaitlin Burt, and Forward Melissa Samoskevich were named United States Top Players Of The Tournament.
The Directorate Awards - Sarah Potomak (CAN) - Best Forward - Dunne (USA) - Best Defenseman - Valeria Tarakanova (RUS) - Best Goaltender.
The 2015 Media All-Star Team - Goaltender - Tarakanovava (RUS) - Defensemen - Dunne (USA) - Micah Hart (CAN).
Forwards - Fanuza Kadirova (RUS) - Potomak (CAN) - Samoskevich (USA). Potomak was voted the Tournament MVP.

Complete Game Recap - http://www.usawomenshockey.com/news_article/show/465652?referrer_id=1302898

Game Summary/Boxscore - Womens Under-18 World Championships Gold Medal Game - United States 3 Canada 2 (OT) -
Monday, January 12 - Stats.IHHF.com -
http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/492/IHW492122_74_4_0.pdf

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad