2015 IIHF U18 Women's WJC @ HARBORCENTER

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Felt this deserved a thread of it's own. The tournament started today, and it was awesome. The way the Women's WJC works is the top 4 teams are group together, and the lower 4 are grouped, to try and even out the matches. This year the groups are

Group A
Canada
Czech Republic
Russia
USA

Group B
Finland
Japan
Sweden
Switzerland

Pool B play was obviously not as high quality, but they were still pretty decent games. Sweden beat Japan in the first game of the tourney, scoring in the last minute of the third to win 3-2. And despite getting outshot 39-19, the Swiss beat Finland 2-0.

In group A, Russia put up 3 goals early, and coasted to a 3-1 win, but the Czech's battled hard.

In the main event, Canada squared off against the United States. It was a sold out event, and the crowd was rocking all game. Canada chants would start up, then they would quickly get drowned out by USA chants. For Women's U18 hockey, the Canada/US matchup was a lot of fun. The US scored early to go up 1-0 and held that lead into the third where Canada tied it up after a give away. The game remained tied after some furious play in the final 5 minutes. Overtime started out at 3 on 3 after matching minors near the end of the 3rd. There were a few decent chances in overtime, but nothing came of it so they were headed for a shootout. Canada shot first where the US goalie shot the 5 hole. The US scored on their first attempt with a nice shot from about 15 feet out to take the lead. Canada's next shooter tried a couple moves, but lost the puck at the end. So the US needed one more goal to win, sent out Abby Roque and with a nifty move, scored on a backhand to give the US a 2-1 win in the shootout.

Canada and the US are on another leve, and these two teams have met in the gold medal game every time, so expect a rematch. If you haven't gotten tickets for the gold medal game yet, or were questioning on whether or not to get them, I HIGHLY recommend to do so. It will definitely sell out again, if it hasn't already. It was a great event, great hockey, and the atmosphere was fantastic, I can't even imagine how it will be for the gold.

Last edited:

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
B6oBfFPCAAAmWhI.jpg

EP-150109440.jpg&exactW=624&exactH=376&AlignV=top&imageversion=HomePageSectionFront

B6mP9R5CcAA4YyR.png

B6oguTwIEAATHbv.jpg

B6nKdLoIAAEcR03.jpg

B6oD2_gCYAAW1rh.jpg

B6mi95wIIAAvMhT.jpg

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
I'm in the direct center of that goal scoring celebration photo.

I was going to say the kid with the weird animal hat but he said direct center of the photo.
So he has to be one the three standing up-clapping in the third row from the bottom.
I say hes the guy next to the guy wearing glasses-wearing the yellow Sabres (?) cap.

Last edited:

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I had tickets to sweden/japan and slept through alarms aaaagh >: (

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
I had tickets to sweden/japan and slept through alarms aaaagh >: (

Come tomorrow, or thursday, or even the medal round!

Just so everyone knows the pricing.

For ALL Pool play (Including US and Canada games)| tickets = $5

Quarterfinal/Relegation Play| tickets = $5

For Semi-Final | tickets = $10

For Gold & Bronze | tickets = $20

Trust me when I say though, if/when the gold medal game is Canada/US, it will be well worth the price of admission.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Trust me when I say though, if/when the gold medal game is Canada/US, it will be well worth the price of admission.

Wish I could attend the Gold Medal game - but its being played next Monday evening which is the same date as the NCAA College Football Championship Game.
Theres no way I'm not watching that one LIVE especially after spending tons of hours watching games since the end of August.
If the matchup is United States vs Canada, I will order the stream for $9.99 via FastHockey website.

Wish I could have went to the United States-Canada game last night but it went up against the Under-20 World Juniors Gold Medal Game.
Similar to what I posted above, I devoted too much time over the last ten days to watching World Junior Games to not watch the World Juniors Gold Medal Game LIVE.
The one prelim game that people would want to see and its up against other major junior hockey game - terrible scheduling there IIHF.
The United States-Canada prelim game should have scheduled for Tuesday night - had United States and Canada play at 3:00 pm ET and 4:00 pm ET today.
(So there wouldn't be a conflict with either Canada or the United States or both being in the World Juniors Gold Medal Game).
Then scheduled two other teams to play yesterday evening at 7:00 pm ET.

Update - Looks like I'll be able to attend Thursdays game vs Russia. Tuesday vs Czech Republic - Quarterfinals on Friday and Semifinals on Sunday are all out.

Last edited:

Rammstein816

Mar 16, 2009
I was going to say the kid with the weird animal hat but he said direct center of the photo.
So he has to be one the three standing up-clapping in the third row from the bottom.
I say hes the guy next to the guy wearing glasses-wearing the yellow Sabres (?) cap.

I'm not sure where the yellow Sabres hat is, but I see a few down there is a yellow sabres winter hat. There is a girl with a USA jersey that looks to be right next to me, but she's just hiding my wife.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Wish I could attend the Gold Medal game - but its being played next Monday evening which is the same date as the NCAA College Football Championship Game.
Theres no way I'm not watching that one LIVE especially after spending tons of hours watching games since the end of August.
If the matchup is United States vs Canada, I will order the stream for $9.99 via FastHockey website.

Wish I could have went to the United States-Canada game last night but it went up against the Under-20 World Juniors Gold Medal Game.
Similar to what I posted above, I devoted too much time over the last ten days to watching World Junior Games to not watch the World Juniors Gold Medal Game LIVE.
The one prelim game that people would want to see and its up against other major junior hockey game - terrible scheduling there IIHF.
The United States-Canada prelim game should have scheduled for Tuesday night - had United States and Canada play at 3:00 pm ET and 4:00 pm ET today.
(So there wouldn't be a conflict with either Canada or the United States or both being in the World Juniors Gold Medal Game).
Then scheduled two other teams to play yesterday evening at 7:00 pm ET.

Update - Looks like I'll be able to attend Thursdays game vs Russia. Tuesday vs Czech Republic - Quarterfinals on Friday and Semifinals on Sunday are all out.

The Gold Medal Game is at 7 o'clock on Monday, the NCAA game isn't until 8:30. Thee hockey game should be ending right around then, and you could head down to 716 for the NCAA game

indigoo

Nov 26, 2011
The Gold Medal Game is at 7 o'clock on Monday, the NCAA game isn't until 8:30. Thee hockey game should be ending right around then, and you could head down to 716 for the NCAA game

Just like everyone else, haha. I'd be curious to see the crowd that night.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
A couple more images from Monday night, thanks to Bill Wippert

B6rP7ACIUAAxwbm.jpg

10408711_644046569051191_4870164695482585723_n.jpg

10898190_644046922384489_8327469782966991162_n.jpg

10435522_644046985717816_1926317061844483301_n.jpg

10433127_644046392384542_2798686880326960333_n.jpg

=====================================

And a couple from USA Hockey

900188993_large.jpg

900188995_large.jpg

900189026_large.jpg

900189027_large.jpg

Last edited:

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Results from today:

Game 1: Sweden 4 - Swiss 0
Sweden came out strong, scoring 2 quick ones in the 1st and pretty much cruised to their second victory of the tournament. I will say this the, the Swiss fan contingent are great! Really supportive of the team.

Game 2: Canada 3 - Russia 2
The score is definitely not indicitive of the play. Canada dominated play and the only thing that kept Russia in the game was their goaltender. Canada outshot Russia pretty handily, but the Russians played a scrappy game and fought back. With the loss to Canada, unless Russia is able to pick up points against the US, they will be playing in the Quarters and be looking at a rematch against Canada in the semis.

Game 3: Finland 4 - Japan 2
Japan surprisingly jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first, however Finland was given 2 penalty shots in the 2nd, and really carried the play from then on. Japan is now slated as one of the teams that will be playing in the relegation round, their opponent will either be the Swiss or Finland, depending on Thursday's results.

Game 4: USA 3 - Czech Republic 0
USA was in danger of giving this game away for a good portion of the game. USA had some troubles with giveaways and some sloppy play, but fortunately, they were able to recover from those mishaps quickly. Leading only 1-0 into the third, the US was able to pull away with 2 nice goals in the 3rd, include a great toe drag! Team USA is now in prime position to grab the #1 spot in pool A, and a bye to the semis.

Current Standings | Pool A |
USA |5pts| (1-1-0-0)
Canada |4pts| (1-0-1-0)
Russia| 3pts|(1-0-0-1)
Czech Rep.|0pts| (0-0-0-2)

Current Standings | Pool B |
Sweden |6pts| (2-0-0-0)
Swiss |3pts| (1-0-0-1)
Finland| 3pts|(1-0-0-1)
Japan|0pts| (0-0-0-2)

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Thank you for all the updates on this tournament. I'm happy to see so much support for these ladies!

No problem! It's been a great tournament and fantastic hockey so far. The teams are off today and a lot if them are seeing the sights, going to the malls, etc so if you see them out and about, wish them luck!

Games resume on Thursday at noon

12:00 - Swiss/Japan - Rink 1
3:30 - Canada/Czech - Rink 1
4:00 - Finland/Sweden - Rink 2
7:00 - USA/Russia - Rink 1

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
World Under-18 Womens Hockey Championship Schedule - Friday, January 9.
12:00 pm ET - Regulation Round - Game #1 - Japan vs Switzerland.
3:30 pm ET - Quarterfinal #1 - Russia vs Finland.
7:00 pm ET - Quarterfinal #2 - Czech Republic vs Sweden.
Note - Canada and United States got automatic byes to the Semifinals.

World Under-18 Womens Hockey Championship Schedule - Sunday, January 11.
12:00 pm ET - Regulation Round - Game #2 - Japan vs Switzerland.
3:00 pm ET - Semifinal #1 - Canada vs Winner of Russia-Finland Quarterfinal.
7:00 pm ET - Semifinal #2 - United States vs Winner of Czech Republic-Sweden Quarterfinal.

World Under-18 Womens Hockey Championship Schedule - Monday, January 12.
12:00 pm ET - Regulation Round - Game #3 (If Necessary) - Japan vs Switzerland.
3:00 pm ET - Bronze Medal Game - Semifinal Losers.
7:00 pm ET - Gold Medal Game - Semifinal Winners. (Note - Gold Medal Game is SOLDOUT.)

Last edited:

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Win less than one for Dunn

or

Get smoked for Roque

Am I doing it right?

But in all seriousness, this is pretty cool. Didn't know such a competition existed, much less that it was being held in Buffalo.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Results from today:

Game 1: Swiss 3 - Japan 1
Japan has had a bit of a rough tournament, but that's too be expected of a young group, filled with many 14 year olds! The Japanese girls definitely have some fight in them, giving all the teams the played a run for their money, but the others where just all a bit bigger, stronger, faster, and more technically sound. There are some bright spots but now their hopes lie in surviving the relegation round.

Game 2: Canada 7 - Czech 1
Most all the games have been at least been somewhat close score wise, this was the first major lopsided result. The Czechs actually opened up the game early with a 1-0 lead, and held that lead for most of the first. However the Canadians seemed to really amp it up after that and tied it close to the end of the 1st. Canada really came out storming in the 2nd and up'd the lead to 5-1. Canada ended up out-shooting the Czech's 50-8, including not allowing a shot in the 2nd. Canada secured a bye to the semi's with the win, all but setting up a rematch with the US for Gold.

Game 3: Finland 3 - Sweden 1
Finland came into this game needing a win to advance to the Quarters and not the relegation round, and they were the fortunate players of some luck. Sweden jumped out to a 1-0 lead and it looked like they were going to take this one pretty easily. However, the Swedes ran into some penalty trouble and Finland came roaring back with 2 PP goals, to go up 2-1. However the real back breaker came with Sweden on the PP and Finland dumped the puck in from Center Ice, but Sweden's goalie misplayed it and the puck ended up deflecting into the net for a Finland SH goal. Both teams then had somewhat sloppy 3rds, but now both have advanced to the quarters.

Game 4: USA 7 - Russia
Not to be outdone by their Northern counterparts, Team USA dominated a strong Russian team. After a somewhat sloppy game against the Czech's, the US looked to head into the Semi bye with authority, and they were lead by Melissa Samoskevich (3 goals, Best Player of the Game). Team USA is clicking on all cylinders now, and hoping to win the Gold on USA soil!

Current Standings | Pool A |
USA |8pts| (2-1-0-0)
Canada |7pts| (2-0-1-0)
Russia| 3pts|(1-0-0-2)
Czech Rep.|0pts| (0-0-0-3)

Current Standings | Pool B |
Sweden |6pts| (2-0-0-1)
Finland|6pts| (2-0-0-1)
Swiss| 6pts|(2-0-0-1)
Japan|0pts| (0-0-0-3)

=================

Quater-Final Matchup:

Russia v Finland: Game @ 3:30
Sweden v Czech: Game @ 7

Relegation Round

Swiss v Japan: Game 1 @ 12:00

B64GRcUIEAIATpM.jpg

10933828_10152967591250900_1381180138553460887_n.jpg

1620798_10152967590930900_1009465499526092485_n.jpg

02_large.jpeg

10898182_10152967591860900_2324193880516904963_n.jpg

B633avjCQAAImJt.png:large

Last edited:

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Excellent photos, and what a wonderful event.

It really has been a blast to be a part of! I'm really looking forward to the medal rounds, the new format this year should make for great hockey. It sure made Pool play fun to watch. And if it is Canada/US for the final (as it seems most likely to be), if it's anything close to how the opening game was, it'll be one to remember. That US-Canada game easily makes it into one of the top games I've ever seen. That includes men's U20 WJC, NHL, and Olympic games. It's up there with the best of them. It was just so much fun. :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad