Prospect Info: 2015 Habs Board Prospect Rankings #17

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
2015 voting

1. Nikita Scherbak, RW, Everett Silvertips (75% of the vote).
2. Mike McCarron, RW/C, Oshawa Generals (72.39%).
3. Jacob De La Rose, C, Montreal Canadiens (35.77%).
4. Charles Hudon, C/LW, Hamilton Bulldogs (43.06%)
5. Noah Juulsen, D, Everett Silvertips. (53.42%)
6. Jarred Tinordi, D, Hamilton Bulldogs. (62.50%)
7. Sven Andrighetto, RW, Hamilton Bulldogs (29.37%)
8. Zachary Fucale, G, Quebec Remparts. (41.94%)
9. Martin Reway, LW, HC Sparta Praha (41.78%)
10. Artturi Lehkonen, LW, Frolunda (34.01%)
11. Lukas Vejdemo, C, Djurgardens (34.53%)
12. Jeremy Gregoire, C, Baie-Comeau Drakkar. (32.46%)
13. Brett Lernout, D, Swift Current Broncos. (56.76%)
14. Daniel Carr, LW, Hamilton Bulldogs. (39.80%)
15. Mike Condon, G, Hamilton Bulldogs. (36.84%)
16. Magnus Nygren, D, Farjestads. (30.16%)

Added , Ryan Johnston, D, Colgate University (ECAC).

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Finally, Nygren is in.

He confirmed he has an NHL out-clause and wants to play in the NHL.

Dietz, add last year Cichy trophy finalist Trunev.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Wow - even Nygren..who will likely never set foot in Quebec again..is rated ahead of Thomas. I missed the memo.....which current prospect played more games for the Habs last season? Which prospect is the only one to ever come close to scoring 50 goals in junior?

On this board it's all about "what have you done for me lately"..Carr is ahead of him because he outproduced Thomas for the first time in his life?" He is a year and a half older than Thomas..which folks also don't seem to be taking into account.

Thomas spent the majority of last season working on his all around game..doesn't make a lot of mistakes out there. We know he can score goals even if he had a few struggles last season on a team lacking firepower.

There's no bloody way he's not still a top 15 prospect on this team. He has another disappointing offensive season then yes...he should drop substantially..but for now he is very much in the mix for a roster spot.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Wow - even Nygren..who will likely never set foot in Quebec again..is rated ahead of Thomas. I missed the memo.....which current prospect played more games for the Habs last season? Which prospect is the only one to ever come close to scoring 50 goals in junior?

On this board it's all about "what have you done for me lately"..Carr is ahead of him because he outproduced Thomas for the first time in his life?" He is a year and a half older than Thomas..which folks also don't seem to be taking into account.

Thomas spent the majority of last season working on his all around game..doesn't make a lot of mistakes out there. We know he can score goals even if he had a few struggles last season on a team lacking firepower.

There's no bloody way he's not still a top 15 prospect on this team. He has another disappointing offensive season then yes...he should drop substantially..but for now he is very much in the mix for a roster spot.

Sorry, Grant.. don't see it. Sure, he has a good shot. Great. What else does he have? Not much. I don't see great hands. I don't see vision. I don't see the touch to his passes that would make him a good playmaker if he did have vision. I don't see high hockey IQ. He's not particular good on the boards. He's adequate at best in his own zone. Sure, he's scrappy but he's under-sized and his skating is simply not good enough to make up for his lack of size and overall lack of dynamic skill-set.

He's struggling to score at the AHL level and his display in the NHL was too long for my tastes. He's a corpse out there.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's a real shame that Nygren got injured, might end up being what could have been since he was so close to getting the call up. I know it's a short sample but he was really producing well in Hamilton in each of his 2 seasons at least. He put up a .58 ppg in the AHL, granted it was only half a seasons worth of games though.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Thomas this year, I haven't liked his play in Hamilton but thought he looked better in the NHL. If you look at his production in Hamilton, he's got a .46 ppg (107 games) guess I just thought he was going to do more since his wrist shot is so lethal.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

My personnal order would have been:

1. Nikita Scherbak, RW, Everett Silvertips
2. Mike McCarron, RW/C, Oshawa Generals
3. Charles Hudon, C/LW, Hamilton Bulldogs
4. Jacob De La Rose, C, Montreal Canadiens
5. Noah Juulsen, D, Everett Silvertips.
6. Jarred Tinordi, D, Hamilton Bulldogs.
7. Lukas Vejdemo, C, Djurgardens
8. Sven Andrighetto, RW, Hamilton Bulldogs
9. Nygren
10. Zachary Fucale, G, Quebec Remparts.
11. Artturi Lehkonen, LW, Frolunda
12. Martin Reway, LW, HC Sparta Praha
13. Lernout
14. Dietz
15. Thomas
16. Condon
17. Grégoire
18. Carr
19. Bozon

I'm far from a prospect expert though. Yes, Vejdemo hype is from Timmins.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He confirmed he has an NHL out-clause and wants to play in the NHL.

It's my understanding that since the PTA is in place you don't need a NHL out clause any more, you just have to come over before a deadline which I believe is in late June but I'd have to look it up. I believe changes were made when the NHL signed the newest PTA with the IIHF. I hear they are or were close to adding Russia to the PTA (unless they are signing their own PTA, I didn't read into it since we don't have any Russians outside of Trunev that we need to worry about their rights).

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Dietz
With the understanding that he might REALLY fall next season if it happens that he lost too much momentum due to injury.

Speaking of which...
I might like Thrower a lot sooner or later. I think the guy would definitely have some future as a forward. If only he could be in a decent physical shape.

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Dietz
With the understanding that he might REALLY fall next season if it happens that he lost too much momentum due to injury.

Speaking of which...
I might like Thrower a lot sooner or later. I think the guy would definitely have some future as a forward. If only he could be in a decent physical shape.

Are you talking about Dietz's injury in his first pro season? Cause he missed only 5 games last year. (or was he injured at development camp?)

I like Thrower, will be interesting to see how he does next year. Dietz was able to show good improvement after he missed so much time in his first season, hopefully Thrower can do the same.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Yeah clearly Dietz now. All the other prospects are long shot of becoming NHLer.

True, but I went with Bozon because there are too many players ahead of Dietz.

Given the guy's willpower and the fact that he went under the radar because of his recovery season, and also because he could bring some offense skills to a line-up that severely lacks it, I wouldn't be surprised at all that Bozon would be tried in the NHL before Dietz

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Are you talking about Dietz's injury in his first pro season? Cause he missed only 5 games last year. (or was he injured at development camp?)

From his first season, because pretty much everyone agrees that he was... slightly... underwhelming last season. At the very worst, he wasn't exactly where he SHOULD have been, though he was good for a guy who did miss a significant chunk of his first pro season. Some players never recovered (Leblanc, amongst others; Dietz wasn't that bad, but while he did well, I get the feeling that he did disappoint to a certain extent). And that could've been explained by injury/missing time.

In other words, if this season is like the last one, he probably won't have a future in Montreal. He must improve, bar none.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
From his first season, because pretty much everyone agrees that he was... slightly... underwhelming last season. At the very worst, he wasn't exactly where he SHOULD have been, though he was good for a guy who did miss a significant chunk of his first pro season. Some players never recovered (Leblanc, amongst others; Dietz wasn't that bad, but while he did well, I get the feeling that he did disappoint to a certain extent). And that could've been explained by injury/missing time.

In other words, if this season is like the last one, he probably won't have a future in Montreal. He must improve, bar none.

yea his first season he struggled for sure, but he was in and out of the lineup and played a little under a half a seasons worth of games. He showed a good amount of improvement this past season so as long as he keeps progressing then the Habs might have something. If not then he'll get passed over by guys like Lernout or others. I think he needs to get quicker and work on his skating/mobility.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010

I like Thrower, will be interesting to see how he does next year. Dietz was able to show good improvement after he missed so much time in his first season, hopefully Thrower can do the same.

I think Dietz was the last player sent down during the pro camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad